A company to apply for a starting Mate posn on a DP boat

So….the question is? The best companies to apply for a starting mates posn on a OSV/PSV DP vessels

I have done my research on the forums, but I was wondering if there was any smaller companies that someone would like to recommend.

I am looking for an OSV/PSV company that has equal time hitches and DP boats. My goal is to go ahead and get my DP certificate. I spent 6 months on a DP1 boat, Simrad/Kronsberg system, way back when I first got my 1600 lisc. But no schools and no documention of time. After 6 months I had to opportunity to go to offshore tugs, and that is where I have been for years now. I tried the 28/14 schedule, and found I was not happy been away from the family for 2/3rds of my life.

Luckily I am happily employed right now and not in a big rush to jump companies. In the past I have just done a shot gun approach to gaining employment, submitting applications and getting as much face time as possible. This time I thought I would be more selective in choosing which company to apply to. Starting with the companies I think would be best. My thoughts are more focused on a company that I could stay long term.

I have at the top, of course such companies as Aries and Hornbeck, but was wondering if anyone wanted to recommend 3 or 4 companies that they thought would be best. While everyone talks about the very large companies, I know there are many smaller 3 to 4 boat companies that are excellent places to work.

Thanks

let me ask, if you hate 28/14 why on earth do you want to work on an OSV in the Gulf? Not too many companies down there who don’t work their people that miserable schedule. Are you sure you did that research you mention?

[QUOTE=c.captain;95240]let me ask, if you hate 28/14 why on earth do you want to work on an OSV in the Gulf? Not too many companies down there who don’t work their people that miserable schedule. Are you sure you did that research you mention?[/QUOTE]

C.Captain:

There are some companies that do offer equal time, just not that many. I started out at Aries, a company that does offer equal time. As for the oilfield, it has the most employment chances for a DP vessel. As for an OSV in the gulf, I have worked OSV, and worked tugs on the east coast and in the Gulf, seen good people and some not so good in both places.

Thanks

[QUOTE=Ocean31;95242]C.Captain:

There are some companies that do offer equal time, just not that many. I started out at Aries, a company that does offer equal time. As for the oilfield, it has the most employment chances for a DP vessel. As for an OSV in the gulf, I have worked OSV, and worked tugs on the east coast and in the Gulf, seen good people and some not so good in both places.[/QUOTE]

why not go back to Aries then?

C. Captain most companies have even time boats now. Chouest is the only company that makes everybody start out working that, but even they let you go to what ever time you want if the other guys on the boat want too. Get with the times man…

HOS is actually pushing hard to get all their boats to 21-21.

[QUOTE=ryanwood86;95251]HOS is actually pushing hard to get all their boats to 21-21.[/QUOTE]

Which is why HOS is top on my list. Thank everyone for the replies so far. Any ideas, thoughts on other companys?

Thanks

Ocean31

You need to get it in your thick skull Chouest is the only company that starts off at 28/14. Every other company offers even time how many fucking times do you have to be told this. Dammit!

To answer the mans question HOS will probably start hiring in earnest just before summer. Between now and then they will hire randomly on as needed basis. New boats start coming out every month starting in June. That is when things will ramp up again.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;95259]You need to get it in your thick skull Chouest is the only company that starts off at 28/14. Every other company offers even time how many fucking times do you have to be told this. Dammit![/QUOTE]

Correct me if I am wrong but is not OCLLC still 28/14? Can’t see them going to a two crew system without kicking and screaming!

If any of you guys know about a company hiring on DP OSV’s, but decide the spot is not for you because you are holding out for an even time position, please send their info my way. I want to work 28/14, for a couple of years at least, because I want the seatime to upgrade to Master 1600GRT.

Had a very close Yankee friend from Cape Odd working there last year. He was working even time. Maybe ChiefRob can settle it for us if hes around. I’ve also been told Harvey is mostly 28/14 but they do have even time available. You keep saying this and people might be reluctant to come down here to work.

GulfMark will only do even time if you can find someone to work opposite you. Otherwise, everyone there is 28/14.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;95327]Had a very close Yankee friend from Cape Odd working there last year. He was working even time. Maybe ChiefRob can settle it for us if hes around. I’ve also been told Harvey is mostly 28/14 but they do have even time available. You keep saying this and people might be reluctant to come down here to work.[/QUOTE]

Hey Fraq, I say GREAT if all the companies are getting onboard with the even time rotation idea as it will help recruit the mariners they claim to all need. I worked at OCLLC eventime because I made it a condition of taking the job and my relief wanted the same but we were both little fish. The first, second and third captains were all on 28/14 or the setup would never work of three guys to fill two positions. Give them even time and you need four men and the companies don’t want that or at least haven’t wanted it but are giving in to reality that people don’t want to give up two months of their life every year to the boss when they are already getting paid well. Of course we all know plenty of old timers who have never known anything but 28/14 and when you say to them you’re working eventime, they look at you like you’re nuts and ask “why in the hell do you want to go and do that?”

I’ve been working out here since 95 and I started out even time. It wasn’t a condition of employment they just asked what I wanted to work. Some companies do as you say so they don’t need as many crew to make the rotations work. I think the more progressive company’s like the even time to keep their people from becoming burnt out. With the money where it is now most should be able to live comfortably on even time.

HOS sounds like they have a good # of mates more or less checked off but waiting on spots…my word was it would probably be a while before they needed to hire too many more. But that’s from the outside looking in yet from a very credible source.

If I had to guess, I would say HOS has more than enough mates. We have 6 mates on our boat right now! Its been that way for a while too, but 2 of us are going to another vessel next hitch.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;95327]Had a very close Yankee friend from Cape Odd working there last year. He was working even time. Maybe ChiefRob can settle it for us if hes around. I’ve also been told Harvey is mostly 28/14 but they do have even time available. You keep saying this and people might be reluctant to come down here to work.[/QUOTE]

I have some friends at harvey, some of them do work 2 for 1, but there are some guys there working 1 for 1, mostly depends on which boat you get on, they seem to work different schedules, not necessarly a company policy that I see. My neighbor is an AB there and he works 14 and 14. but I know a captian there that works 42 and 21, but that is his and his relief’s choice.

My friends at OC tell me much has changed in the past several years. They have every schedule you could possibly imagine. There are only a handful of people that still do 2 for 1 any more, I know a couple boats there that do 14 and 14. Once again I think it will depend on which boat you are able to get on, there is not really a company policy, from what I hear every boat seems to be different.

On my boat. I am supposed to be doing 28 and 28, here in the gulf, but when we go over seas they ask me to do 35 and 35.

I have some friends at harvey, some of them do work 2 for 1, but there are some guys there working 1 for 1, mostly depends on which boat you get on, they seem to work different schedules, not necessarly a company policy that I see. My neighbor is an AB there and he works 14 and 14. but I know a captian there that works 42 and 21, but that is his and his relief’s choice.

My friends at OC tell me much has changed in the past several years. They have every schedule you could possibly imagine. There are only a handful of people that still do 2 for 1 any more, I know a couple boats there that do 14 and 14. Once again I think it will depend on which boat you are able to get on, there is not really a company policy, from what I hear every boat seems to be different.

On my boat. I am supposed to be doing 28 and 28, here in the gulf, but when we go over seas they ask me to do 35 and 35.

[QUOTE=ChiefRob;95341]I have some friends at harvey, some of them do work 2 for 1, but there are some guys there working 1 for 1, mostly depends on which boat you get on, they seem to work different schedules, not necessarly a company policy that I see. My neighbor is an AB there and he works 14 and 14. but I know a captian there that works 42 and 21, but that is his and his relief’s choice.

On my boat. I am supposed to be doing 28 and 28, here in the gulf, but when we go over seas they ask me to do 35 and 35.[/QUOTE]

Again, Thank you everyone for the posts, it has been helpful. Since I can even work 1 for 2 if need be it would seem that I should just apply to nearly every company and just see if they have an opening for me. Might be a boat out there with a mate who wants to work 2 for 1, but the rest of the crew wants 1 for 1. Hard to say.

On the smaller companies, I gather they are mostly shallow water convential boats, all the DP boats seem to belong to larger companies. Or…I am incorrrect and there are some smaller companys with DP boats. Thoughts?

Ocean31

Plenty of smaller DP boats/companies
For DP mini supply boats…
Abdon Callais
Odyssea
Adriatic
Supreme
Most new crew boats
With the smaller boat/companies just be sure the boats are CLASSED or none of your time counts.