Old so new to the site

Good day my fellow Mariners

I recently foundthis site and the both of information that is posted here is great resource of information.I left the industry 10 years ago put my captains license in continuity and I am in the process of renewal I have a 1600 Oceans 3000 ITCMaster license. spent most of my seat I’m in the Gulf of Mexico in the oil patch.

I will be taking the DP induction courseto add to my list of endorsements. I’m looking for is any advice, information or guidance on where to start to look to get on with a company to get my final DP certification. And realistically what type of pay is available.

First, who did you work for previously and have you checked with them? As far as who’s hiring, most all of your majors but it may start getting slim due to the recent air of a slow down. This is of course if you are looking to get back in the oil patch. I would check with Seacor, HOS, Harvy, Chouest and Gulfmar Not having your DP certificate may be a real hinderance. Maybe not. As for Pay, the range you are most likely looking at a range of $550 to $725 per day to start. Schedules are 28/14, 28/28 and 14/14 with a rumor of one company doing 21/21. Also you may end up having to make the drive and do some door knocking to get a shot at an open slot. Good luck.

If your Lic. is current I would got to MPT and take the Basic DP course out of pocket, Then head to the Bayou. Lot of folks may not want to drop 3K or so and not be guaranteed a job but I would think it would increase your chances. You will be able to pay it back the 1st check.

Pay posted is in line with what I know, which is little. I know our company pays around $625 for training capt. pay. (That’s until you get signed off)

If you don’t get on with one of the big 3 there are many other companies who may be willing to give you a try if you have showed initiative to get your own Basic DP.

[QUOTE=AB Murph;146533]If your Lic. is current I would got to MPT and take the Basic DP course out of pocket, Then head to the Bayou. Lot of folks may not want to drop 3K or so and not be guaranteed a job but I would think it would increase your chances. You will be able to pay it back the 1st check.

Pay posted is in line with what I know, which is little. I know our company pays around $625 for training capt. pay. (That’s until you get signed off)

If you don’t get on with one of the big 3 there are many other companies who may be willing to give you a try if you have showed initiative to get your own Basic DP.[/QUOTE]

While DP Basic is a good investment for a kid. Its not a good investment for an older mariner.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;146538]While DP Basic is a good investment for a kid. Its not a good investment for an older mariner.[/QUOTE]

Please explain…

It’s no rumor fella at lest a third of the fleet does 21/21.

[QUOTE=AB Murph;146543]Please explain…

.[/QUOTE]

I took DP Basic, I made two trips to the bayou searching for a job on a classed DP vessel. I found lots of jobs on non-DP vessels, but nothing DP. The companies with DP vessels did not care at all that I have DP Basic or that I was prepared to pay for DP Advanced as soon as I had 30 days of DP seatime. Some said— come see us when you have DP Advanced. Some said. — come see us when you have a DP certificate. They are willing to train kids even though they know the kids will leave for drilling as soon as possible, but they are not willing to train an older mariner. DP was a complete waste of money for me, and that was well before the hiring slow down and coming lay offs.

How old are you?
My experience doesn’t match yours. I took DP Basic on my own to make myself more attractive. Got hired on at 47, plugging away to get the days needed to apply for the cert.

[QUOTE=Flyer69;146557]How old are you?
My experience doesn’t match yours. I took DP Basic on my own to make myself more attractive. Got hired on at 47, plugging away to get the days needed to apply for the cert.[/QUOTE]

Same here: Also took DP Basic class prior to coming down to LA, got hired and am now accruing days in the NI Logbook. I’m only a few years younger than Flyer69.

Holy shit when are the layoffs coming? You got inside info?

He got that news from the red phone up to the 13th floor.

No inside info. Just my own analysis from reading the financial and trade press. Hope i’m wrong.

And I’m a lot older than 47. I was laid off in the early 80’s.

[QUOTE=Flyer69;146557]How old are you?
My experience doesn’t match yours. I took DP Basic on my own to make myself more attractive. Got hired on at 47, plugging away to get the days needed to apply for the cert.[/QUOTE]

Likewise. Am sailing with another mate right now in his 50s who came from tugs. He took his intro class, and was hired.

Yeah, I was laid off in the late 80s, but not in the oil patch. With the timing of my life events, it was the beginning of the end of my seafaring days. No regrets, though.

There may be a big difference between getting DP Basic before the job hunt two or three years ago, and doing it now.

Possibly. So far we have anecdotal evidence of several older guys getting hired who took the initiative to get DP Basic on their own, and one guy who thought it was a waste of his time and money.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;146608]There may be a big difference between getting DP Basic before the job hunt two or three years ago, and doing it now.[/QUOTE]

There wasn’t a mass exodus to the GOM two or three years ago like this year. Since almost every swinging dick wants to work down there now it seems it is allowing companies to be more selective. i.e. prior supply boat exp., advanced dp, etc…

I can say this. There are Masters and Mates being hired at ECO without any DP experience or Oil Field experience over the last year. Guy just left the boat who came from the Yacht industry. If you pay for Basic that would speak Volumes. Making a good impression goes even further.

Not that it would get you a job but you would stand out. The smaller places would rather hire you then paying out of their pocket for sure.

[QUOTE=AB Murph;146617]I can say this. There are Masters and Mates being hired at ECO without any DP experience or Oil Field experience over the last year. Guy just left the boat who came from the Yacht industry. If you pay for Basic that would speak Volumes. Making a good impression goes even further.

Not that it would get you a job but you would stand out. The smaller places would rather hire you then paying out of their pocket for sure.[/QUOTE]

It goes back to it all depends on what day or week you show up down there. A good friend of mine who is a veteran tug captain did basic dp on his own a couple months ago, and got rejected by all the big players for not having prior supply boat experience and/or advanced dp. After a few days of no luck he did finally get picked up by a smaller company though.

The ol, Don’t have Gulf or Oil field experience excuse. That’s a way of saying we don’t want to hire you for some reason. If you have one or both and the “We are in a hiring freeze” comes out then that is a way of saying we don’t want to hire you or at least not at this time. You are right though, It’s about timing but also how your present yourself. Showing initiative would be a good thing, at least in my eyes but I don’t do the hiring and firing. LOL!!

Even if you came from HOS to ECO you would be under training for 2-3 hitches. You have to learn the boat and the handle of it before you just go off on your own watch. For an AB, OS or Wiper what does it matter? You get the training for 6 months and we have TONS of folks that come to work without any experience. Buffing and painting is the same in New York City as it is on the Bayou.