Old so new to the site

At the Gulf companies 90 percent of it is timing — just happening to show up on a day that they need someone today with your credentials. With the exception of academy kids, they do hire in anticipation of who they may need next week.

Most people want to work for one of the top five largest and highest paying companies. Obviously, they cannot hire everyone.

The top five are also the most fussy about physicals, pre-existing medical issues, age, and weight. They seem most concerned about any kind of back injury, age over 55, or being more than about 20 percent overweight. At some companies a significant percentage of the people they make offers to, end up flunking the physical. So, the first thing they ask themselves is “does this guy look like he can pass the physical.” If you don’t, they are not going to make an offer.

Most companies want to know what you are making, or have made, in your previous jobs. If you are making the same money now as they would start you out at, or worse you are making more, they are probably not going to hire you. For an older guy with experience, this is apt to be a problem at most of the smaller companies. Some interviewers do not like to hire guys that are working for a lot less than the company is paying. The idea being that if they are working that cheap, that must be all they’re worth.

Most companies are reluctant to hire guys who are “overqualified” with a “big license” for their fleet of predominantly smaller tonnage boats.

Another factor is how close do you live to the job. Most companies do hire people from everywhere, but most prefer people who live within easy driving distance.

Having previous Gulf experience is a huge advantage at the Gulf companies. Just like having New York experience is a huge advantage at the NY companies, or as having Alaska experience is at the Alaska companies. No surprise there.

Knowing someone at a company who is respected and will vouch for you is huge at any company anywhere.

Interviewing is an important skill that must be learned. Interviewing with corporate HR professionals, is a very different thing than interviewing with owners, operations managers, or former boat captains.

Most companies hate “job hoppers” and “dollar chasers.” Every interviewer is asking himself “will this guy stay here or is he just going to use us as a stepping stone.”

The top five companies that have their own orientation and safety training, may not care whether you already have SafeGulf, Rigging, and HUET. They will send you to their own classes anyway. The smaller companies certainly seem to prefer to hire people who already have the safety training certificates.

Having DP Basic is an advantage. Mostly it shows some commitment and willingness to invest in yourself. I highly recommend it for anyone who is under 45 and healthy looking. But it is not a significant advantage for most guys over 55.

I’ll just add my voice to those who say DP induction is worth it. Did it this year (at age 45) on my own dime after a couple years non-DP oilfield experience and would not have gotten my current job without it. All of the other certs and endorsements help too. It’s like anything else - if you want to get hired, make it easy for the guy behind the desk to say “yes,” and don’t give him a reason to say “no.”

[QUOTE=Thirds;146516]First, who did you work for previously and have you checked with them? As far as who’s hiring, most all of your majors but it may start getting slim due to the recent air of a slow down. This is of course if you are looking to get back in the oil patch. I would check with Seacor, HOS, Harvy, Chouest and Gulfmar Not having your DP certificate may be a real hinderance. Maybe not. As for Pay, the range you are most likely looking at a range of $550 to $725 per day to start. Schedules are 28/14, 28/28 and 14/14 with a rumor of one company doing 21/21. Also you may end up having to make the drive and do some door knocking to get a shot at an open slot. Good luck.[/QUOTE]
thanks for the information it gives me a starting point.

[QUOTE=Flyer69;146557]How old are you?
My experience doesn’t match yours. I took DP Basic on my own to make myself more attractive. Got hired on at 47, plugging away to get the days needed to apply for the cert.[/QUOTE]
I am 56 years old and in excellent health.

At 56 age should not be a problem! Like someone else said earlier your issue is probably timing. The OSV companies hire in big groups and then it takes them time to train them (not mention the short service employe stuff) and place them in their intended positions. For example Hornbeck will hold new hire orientations every week for two months and then stop for two to three month. By the way I haven’t heard of any for a little wile now so they may be coming around soon.

Good luck!!!

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;146562]Holy shit when are the layoffs coming? You got inside info?[/QUOTE]

I still don’t have any inside info, but the first report of layoffs at Seacor appeared in the Chouest Raises thread today.

I wonder what we will do about the 8 or so new boats left to deliver? What about all those new hires we’ve picked in the last month or two? Should they get headed to New York to look for work? We better get that “knocking on doors in NY” thread started…

Lol, you can only work in NY with NY experience and you can only get that with oil barge experience, something you can only get with NY experience. Therefore every time someone retires there is one less person in the workforce. And of course NY and oil barge experience is most important for engineers.

Well shit…it sounds like I’m gonna have to go with my ace in the hole. I think I’m over qualified but it may be time to call Washington State Ferries.

C.captain may need a chief....it is like a union job without the union.  Wsf is good but don't worry about burning up a switchboard (like initiation into a gang) or  a variable frequency drive, assuming you know what those are (and where to find one onboard).

C.cap doesn’t recognize my puny limited license so I’m SOL. Beside the first time he showed up in the basement yelling about something stupid he might get an up close of the MSD.