Non-DPO 1600 Captain or Mate Work in the GOM?

Hi gCaptain Readers,
I’m curious to know if there is much (or any) non-DPO, offshore or coastal deck officer work in the Gulf these days? I have a 1600 ton ocean master but only a bit of Gulf experience, just looking for trip or relief work, any short-term spots to stay busy. All I see are DPO positions, plenty of them available it seems, but I won’t be getting into that training pipeline at my young age of 55. I worked my way up with sea-time and know how to drive a boat, usually without whacking anything too hard!
I did a Louisiana tour last year but it was dead slow, spoke to some nice folks but nothing popped up for me.
What about taking an AB spot just to stay busy, reactivate the sea-legs, and get my foot in the door somewhere?
Any advice, suggestions, or warnings are appreciated – thanks in advance!
Thanks from Pat

The need for qualified Masters is good right now. Your age won’t be held against you as far as training goes. In many cases most companies are paying for DP right at new hire. Re-apply with which ever companies you spoke with last year. I’ll bet the tune has changed.

[QUOTE=Paella Pat;69454] All I see are DPO positions, plenty of them available it seems, but I won’t be getting into that training pipeline at my young age of 55. [/QUOTE]

Is the 55 age thing a personal thing, or are you assuming it is a company thing?

I know of two mariners into their 60s that were recently hired and sent to DP school.

Hi Fraqrat and Water,

Thanks very much for your replies, some good positive info there. Yes, the age comment was a company thing, I was assuming they want to spend their training budget on candidates who would be with them longer, but good to see I was wrong. That’s a pretty long training scheme so must be costly for the companies, but sure, if I’m offered a DP course and training time, then I’ll accept the offer, of course. Glad to see some fellows in their 60s were picked up and sent to school, hope they’re doing well and working already . . . . always good to have 'em around to keep the youngsters in line!

I’ll follow your advice and contact some companies again, see what their tune is nowadays, and plan a visit to LA to see what I can come up with.

Thanks for your comments, much appreciated, and safe sailing.
Pat

Good luck to you!

Knocking on doors always seems to work best. A matter of being in the right place at the right time. And don’t be afraid to repeat knocking on the door multiple times, which will increase your chance of being in the right place at the right time. As one poster here says, it is like shampooing… lather, rinse, repeat.

A Chateau on the Bayou is a good base to work out of. Clean, good location, helpful hostess, special mariner rate. www.achateauonthebayou.com/