Discoverer Clear Leader Lifeboat Incident

For those who haven’t heard already Transocean’s brand new ship the [I]Discoverer Clear Leader[/I], arrived in the Gulf Of Mexico for its very first well, the next day the inspectors boarded a lifeboat and it dropped.

Does anyone have the incident report from the lifeboat incident? All I’ve been able to find is no deaths but 4 people helo’ed off with broken backs.

Damn things really have injured more people than they have saved.

> Yes we did. There was 4 people in it, 3 t.o.i. personal
> and one 3rd party with the life boat company. They were
> testing the boat and were being lowered down. The person
> lowering the boat stopped to untangle a cable and radioed
> the persons in the boat. They thought he told them they
> were in the water and they pulled the release and the boat
> fell about 15 feet into the water. They say the
> hydrostatic release should not have released until the water
> had taken the weight off but it malfunctioned. There was a
> communication and a mechanical failure too. All 4 persons
> were taken to the hospital. 1 person had a fractured
> pelvis bone I think he has been released. The other three
> have to have back surgery in the lower back. It was a
> pretty bad fall. They are very lucky. There are still
> investigations going on. They say that all personel
> will be able to come back to work. It will take
> longer for some than others. That is about the jest of
> it. Will talk later.

I also heard the Thunderhorse dropped a lifeboat recently too.

Thankfully no one was killed.

This incident will lead to more calls for improved training and better seamanship . Not more training of course, just more calls for it. In addition there will be an increase in the number of circulars, memos and safety posters printed and sent out. We also will hear more lectures from some old timers about frapping lines, tricing pendants, browsing gear, the decline of seamanship and how thiings were done back in the day. Meanwhile mariners will continue to get killed and iinjured on these deathboats.

My page Lifeboat Safety is here

Interesting that it hasn’t showed up in the MMS Incident Reports page or as an IADC safety alert.

[quote=cmjeff;14693]> Yes we did. There was 4 people in it, 3 t.o.i. personal
> and one 3rd party with the life boat company. They were
> testing the boat and were being lowered down. The person
> lowering the boat stopped to untangle a cable and radioed
> the persons in the boat. They thought he told them they
> were in the water and they pulled the release and the boat
> fell about 15 feet into the water. They say the
> hydrostatic release should not have released until the water
> had taken the weight off but it malfunctioned. There was a
> communication and a mechanical failure too. All 4 persons
> were taken to the hospital. 1 person had a fractured
> pelvis bone I think he has been released. The other three
> have to have back surgery in the lower back. It was a
> pretty bad fall. They are very lucky. There are still
> investigations going on. They say that all personel
> will be able to come back to work. It will take
> longer for some than others. That is about the jest of
> it. Will talk later.

I also heard the Thunderhorse dropped a lifeboat recently too.[/quote]

there was no radio contact with the crew in the boat. at this time only one person had surgery. all personnel hopefully will be able to return to work. would like to know where ur info came from… thanks

Why so you can hang the guy? It wouldn’t be the first time Transocean fired someone for speaking up about safety problems. I would like to know where ur info came from.

If you are really “someonewhocares” tell us what happened or, better yet, push your employer to publicly release the report so we can all get the facts we need to prevent this from happening again.

as soon as all the facts are in it can be dicussed. until then we will have to wait. steps have been taken to prevent this from happining again.
not out to hang anyone. glad people speak up. but ur facts were not accurate. thanks.

[quote=someonewhocares;15730]as soon as all the facts are in it can be dicussed. until then we will have to wait. steps have been taken to prevent this from happining again.
not out to hang anyone. glad people speak up. but ur facts were not accurate. thanks.[/quote]

I have 2 problems with this statement. First why not hang anyone? They screwed up, didn’t they??

Second I don’t care less if steps been taken [I][B]at your company[/B][/I] to prevent this from happening again. Call me a jerk but my singular concern is what steps are being taken at [I][B]my[/B][/I] company to prevent this from happening again? And right now the answer is ZERO because you guys are too scared of embarrassing the guilty party.

Am I wrong Jeff?

[QUOTE=domer;15762]Am I wrong Jeff?[/QUOTE]

Can’t say that you are :wink: