Emma maersk

Some one said it has a crew of 13, could a ship that big really have that small of a crew???

Yes. 4 Deck Officers, 2 Engine Officers, 3 ABs, 2 OS, 2 Oilers = 13

And a vending machine in the corridor to get one’s lunch.

I understood that she was designed for a crew of 13 but actually sails with around 20 or so.

Yep,
They tried to sail with only 13 on the Exxon Valdez too and look what happened. That is the actual cause of the spill, not what most people think that the captain was drunk! Everyone was so totally wiped out after loading in Valdez they were all too tired to do thier jobs properly and look what happened. It has effected us all. They might be able to run a ship with only a captain and chief and I know they have been trying to do that. But should they be allowed to get away with that??? I would really like to see the USCG and whatever other agencies around the world take another look at the safe manning certificates and what it takes to run ANY boat. IMHO all of the manning certificates have been allowed to go to levels so low it is very bad for the seamen aboard the vessel. Nothing will happen til there is another disaster like the Valdez and then they will probably find another scapegoat like the “drunk captain” to blame it on instead of the manning certificate where the blame should belong

I’m on a 175 foot 200 ton crew boat in Brazil. In the US we were required to have 5 on board, though our company chose to sail with 6. In Brazil we are required to have 12. It’s largely about creating jobs here I think. It seems there philosophy is every bunk will be full. A crew boat for pete’s sake. I have two mates, two engineers and a qmed, four seamen, a cook and a galley hand.

I just finished watching a series on Nation Geographic(I think or maybe Science Ch) about ships and the other day they had an hour show about the Emma Maersk. Dont remember the crew number but maybe you could catch a rerun on it…

[QUOTE=jthomas1600;32176]I’m on a 175 foot 200 ton crew boat in Brazil. In the US we were required to have 5 on board, though our company chose to sail with 6. In Brazil we are required to have 12. It’s largely about creating jobs here I think. It seems there philosophy is every bunk will be full. A crew boat for pete’s sake. I have two mates, two engineers and a qmed, four seamen, a cook and a galley hand.[/QUOTE]

We had to do a scenario in VSO class so we chose an OSV in Brazil because one of the guys in our group was the head Seacor guy for South America.
Me: "How could you possibly do all this stuff with an OSV crew? How many people do you have on the boat? 8 maybe?"
Seacor Dude: "In Brazil its usually more like 20 something… sometimes more…"
Me: "Excuse me while I pick my jaw up off the floor and pop my eyes back in my skull!"
HAHAHAHAHA

[QUOTE=Old Bakelite;32154]And a vending machine in the corridor to get one’s lunch.

I understood that she was designed for a crew of 13 but actually sails with around 20 or so.[/QUOTE]
Accommodations for 30 normally sails with 13.

then there’s the other extreme: my pipe lay vessel runs with 220 onboard!! deck department, engine department, stewards department, production department, corporate reps, company men, crane operators, nurse, etc etc.
6 weeks go by and you still don’t know 1/2 the people.

An impressive ship indeed… but be sure not to miss the story gCaptain broke on the fire she sufferred in shipyard: Emma Maersk – The Secret Story Of Building The World’s Largest Container Ship

Also of interest… she has a rather impressive engine: Emma Maersk’ s Wartsila-Sulzer Super Ship Engine

[QUOTE=richard8000milesaway;32226]then there’s the other extreme: my pipe lay vessel runs with 220 onboard!! deck department, engine department, stewards department, production department, corporate reps, company men, crane operators, nurse, etc etc.
6 weeks go by and you still don’t know 1/2 the people.[/QUOTE]

Which pipelay vessel do you work on? Just curious thanks.

[QUOTE=stevefoster;32225]Accommodations for 30 normally sails with 13.[/QUOTE]

I also saw this quote:

“Minimum safe manning is 13, obviously they are not sailing with such low number of crew due to maintenance work. Usually she’s sailing with about 20-25 crew on board.”

I would be interested to know if she has sailed with only the 13 and for how long and how it went etc…I guess we have a 13 in 5,000 chance of any Emma Maersk crew being on GC and enlightening us.