News flash - hot off the wire: east coast chief mate arrested

From my contacts still with MSC: Seems an east coast chief mate gets himself a west coast San Diego Tanker! Yea! Great! One small issue however, now he has been arrested for shop lifting at the Coronado NEX. Wonder what was going through his mind if anything. Further wonder what will be said when his security clearance comes up for review? Perhaps the office can use him shore side. Already full of various past marines that can’t command or lead. Perhaps he can join the shore " support group" made up of the likes of at least one " chief engineer" that didn’t even have enough seatime in five years to renew his license ( and yet has the gall to visit ships and tell them how they should be ran). Yep, another no load for the office in the making.

If the Lant mariners wonder why the Pac mariners have no use for them, it is beacause Lant keeps sending Pac their dirtbags. It is possible that Lant might have a similar view of Pac, but far fewer Pac mariners have made the transition to Lant.

[QUOTE=Xmsccapt(ret);70822]… one " chief engineer" that didn’t even have enough seatime in five years to renew his license ( and yet has the gall to visit ships and tell them how they should be ran).[/QUOTE]

You never heard of a port engineer?

Do you believe having “one-ship stupid” people performing the fleet engineering management role is a better idea?

Ouch!

Which leads me to the question… will the USCG pull your license for minor convictions?
Is shoplifting considered a major of minor offense to USCG?
Does license insurance cover lapses fo judgement like this or only cover sh!t that goes down while your on the ship?

Just curious.

Why would someone who makes that much money steal something? Stupid.

He’s used to doing whatever he wants. His delusion of grandeur carried ashore where it doesn’t work.

[QUOTE=cmjeff;70911]Ouch! Which leads me to the question… will the USCG pull your license for minor convictions? Is shoplifting considered a major of minor offense to USCG? Does license insurance cover lapses fo judgement like this or only cover sh!t that goes down while your on the ship? Just curious.[/QUOTE]

Not “pull” as in suspension and revocation as you are not required to report convictions between renewal/upgrade applications. While we could initate a supsension/revocatiobn action if we learned of the conviction, in a minor offense it’s unliklely we would learn of the conviction.

The Coast Guard does not classify offense as “minor” or “major.” Rather, the CFR has guidelines on the approriate “assessment periods” for various offesnes. The more serious the offense, the longer the period. During the assessment period, you cannot apply for or renew a license without compelling evidence of cure/rehabilitation.

Shoplifting is not specifi8cally listed among ther criomes in 46 CFR Table 10.211(g). As such, the Coast Guard would consider the offense and exercise discretion to apply a minimum “assessment period” appropriate to the circumstances. I woul guess an assessment period for a single conviction for shoplifting of goods with low monetary value would be one year. Note also that for these purposes, “conviction” is defined very broadly, and includes thi9ngs like probation, suspended sentences, contiuations without findings, etc. Read the description on the application form. Anything short of a finding of “not guilty” could be copnsidered a conviction.

Don’t even think of not reprting the conviction ona renewal/upgrade application. We use the FBI’s database to check, and we’ll find it. The failure to disclose wouuld be an aggravating factor that will result in a longer assessment period.

[QUOTE=DeckApe;70968]He’s used to doing whatever he wants. His delusion of grandeur carried ashore where it doesn’t work.[/QUOTE]

Adults who shoplift usually have other issues. It is commonly a psychological issue that is far from “delusions of grandeur” or financial need.

Your evaluation points toward some issues that have nothing to do with that poor schmuck.

What ever happened to the East Coast Bosun that assaulted two people in a Walmart parking lot with a tire iron, then led the cops on a high speed chase before being arrested? I heard he was back in the process of going to the fleet again? Was there a plea deal? And if he is back, even with a plead out on the civil charges, why in the 9 different kinds of hell would the office put someone with those unresolved anger issues back in a supervisor position?

Not a port engineer. There are other fee loaders that have lived shore side for years doing nothing but going to meetings and acting like they are just sooooo important that going to sea is below them. One such person’s nick name was " Blank check" when going to sea years ago. This guy has not gone to sea in years and didn’t even have seatime for renewal. Think of the money spent and wasted for such do nothings.

Perhaps he’s sailing third mate now?

I know some of the masters that have sailed with this chief mate. He’s one of the type that makes a master say " oh crap, don’t you have someone else to send me? ". Not a first rate employee by any means. I still bet you will soon see his name among the office staff. Sort of like the master that recently got into trouble for accosting a female cadet. Oddly now I hear that worthless nothing teaches a kp ( where the cadets came from that he accosted ). Strange world indeed.

You got to f#%k up to move up!!

[QUOTE=Xmsccapt(ret);71215]I know some of the masters that have sailed with this chief mate. He’s one of the type that makes a master say " oh crap, don’t you have someone else to send me? ". Not a first rate employee by any means. I still bet you will soon see his name among the office staff. Sort of like the master that recently got into trouble for accosting a female cadet. Oddly now I hear that worthless nothing teaches a kp ( where the cadets came from that he accosted ). Strange world indeed.[/QUOTE]

You are correct Sir. It has been confirmed that he is now a “professor” at Kings Point. What a disgrace. KP hiring that worst the MSC has to offer. Well, I can think of one MSC Captain who would have given him a great letter of reccomendation.

The Bosun who beats your ass at Wal-Mart is currently in a “suspension” status. He should be back out to the fleet soon.

So, you force your affections on a kp cadet and you get a job teaching them? ? ?

Hahahaha! I can’t stop laughing now that I know who the chief Mate was!!! I won’t say his name online b ut I can’t stop laughing. What a total and complete asswipe! Over 20 years ago when I sailed with the jackass, he was a terrible Cargo Mate. Twenty years later he’s still only a Chief Mate. At MSC! What a loser. Hahahahahahahaha!

Yep, When you know who it is, it’s not a surprise. If Msc had any leadership they would use this golden opportunity to purge the buttwipe from employment. But dollars to donuts he will remain in employment, and perhaps even get a promotion given the sad shape msc is in these days. They remain very short chief mates and masters. Not long ago one of my peers still with msc was overdue by 30 days. Masters were never overdue in the past, but these days msc is very short man power. What does it say for an organization in is economy to be short man power…

I wouldn’t say they are short. It depends on the rate. MSC is very short 3AE but the shortage goes away as you move up to ChEng. With deck it’s the other way around. Way too many 3/O but very short of 1/O. Radio has shortages as well.

I meant short on first officers and masters… Traditionally msc has been short from time to time 3rd mates etc, but new to be short on higher levels…

Oh, it gets better. Word from an east coast contact that shall remain nameless: Seems this particular chief mate shop lifted a comic book at the navy exchange. Problem is, the event was recorded on tape. Also when the security guard tried to check his bag the chief mate ran out into the parking lot where he was apprehended by base police ( yes, with the stolen comic). Oddly the “management” or “leadership” on the east coast refuses to remove this chief mate due to the fear of litigation. So, once more Msc management displays compete lack of the ability to do the right thing and lead when leadership and backbone are needed most. Yep, another stain in the fabric of msc.