Covid-19 News/Updates

The body language of doctors Fauci and Birx are priceless.

2 Likes

I noticed the John Hopkins map has been updated to graphically show each case per municipal jurisdiction.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

1 Like

13 posts were split to a new topic: Fauci

Mostly per county. NYC may be an exception.

1 Like

Five hundred patients in Northern Italian hospitals are now ventilated using Decathlon snorkel masks adapted with 3D printed parts. An example of clever improvisation!

6 Likes

That looks pretty cool and 3D printers are definitely mega cool. But…they are extremely slow! It’s hard to see how you could manufacture enough of these things using 3D printers.

By running a bunch of them in parallel. I have an acquaintance who runs a small business with five of them.

2 Likes

Here, some seem not to be concerned, if the Corona virus hits passengers and crews on cruise ships…

However, it was foreseeable that scientists will closely evaluate what happened on these ships; a significant laboratory with thousands of subjects, confined into a well-known space. It is known where all were coming from and going to, and their behavior on board is known to a large extend.

Infections on a merchant ship, with 20 or less crew, are always a special case with no clearly defined scientific learning effect.

Here is a new report from the CDC >>>

This is surprising:

“SARS-CoV-2 RNA was identified on a variety of surfaces in cabins of both symptomatic and asymptomatic infected passengers up to 17 days after cabins were vacated on the Diamond Princess but before disinfection procedures had been conducted (Takuya Yamagishi, National Institute of Infectious Diseases, personal communication, 2020). Although these data cannot be used to determine whether transmission occurred from contaminated surfaces, further study of fomite transmission of SARS-CoV-2 aboard cruise ships is warranted.”

If other research confirms this as dangerous, as it looks at first, our behavior must change, on small tugs or large ferries, and all over the countries’ land side.

Which if I’m reading it aright says that virus had been on those surfaces; but not that it was still in working order seventeen days later.

1 Like

As far as i know, the virus consists only of RNA, it is not a living creature.
Further research will show.

Probably not viable by a long shot. The CNN doctor has talked some about surfaces. Still. 17 days. Shocking.

It has an RNA payload, but there’s a lot of delicate structure surrounding it. It’s the lipid content of that structure that is attacked by soap and water.

2 Likes

I have a mild fever, headache and body ache as of this afternoon. Four days out from air travel off the ship. I will try and get a test tomorrow…there is drive through testing at a couple of locations nearby. This should be interesting.

Mild scratchy throat too, but I have been dealing with seasonal post nasal drip. We’ll see.

Good luck. I’m sure you’ll be fine. You have a cool name. 8-^) Do let us know how long the test takes.

1 Like

Will do. Thanks

3 Likes

A bit of encouraging news. Smart thermometers show social distancing is working to reduce incidence of fevers.

USA TODAY: Telling temperatures: Fever charting shows social distancing is ‘flattening the curve’

Some relevant political cartoons for levity. Warning! Not for the easily triggered. Unfiltered truth.

USA TODAY: Coronavirus editorial cartoon gallery

2 Likes

These are great! Keep them coming. Love the RBG one.

1 Like

Confirmed cases so there is there increase in testing as a factor.

2 Likes

Governor Cuomo said three-day doubling yesterday. I was a bit surprised, as it seems to me it’s been two days for a week or so now. Maybe he was just talking about New York State.

Still notable that Italy’s rate of increase has been improving practically since the beginning.

Nice chart. Is there a site that keeps this chart updated?

1 Like