Covid-19 News/Updates

Yeah, I’m the life of any party. Sorry. :wink:

1 Like

It’s not a treatment for syphilis. It treats autoimmune disorders like lupus and rheumatoid arthritis. Also used for prevention of malaria.

No idea if he actually took it or is just trying to manipulate the stock or what. I stopped trying to second guess him.

Has Trump read this?

Only reads TV and Twitter

2 Likes

And I suppose also comic books, especially that of his namesake buddy Donald Duck and he probably is an admirer of Scrooge McDuck.

I wrote this earlier on March 31 in an internal mail following an article about a choir that was heavily hit by the Coronavirus.

On March 6, Adam Burdick, the choir’s conductor, informed the 121 members in an email that amid the “stress and strain of concerns about the virus,” practice would proceed as scheduled at Mount Vernon Presbyterian Church. “I’m planning on being there this Tuesday March 10, and hoping many of you will be, too,” he wrote.

Time to reopen restaurants to save the rats:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/science/2020/05/23/with-restaurants-closed-cdc-warns-increasingly-aggressive-rodents-looking-new-food-sources/?utm_campaign=wp_post_most&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_most

And the Bars to save people from drinking too much due to loneliness at home:

But at least women has an easier time of it:

2 Likes

The biggest super-spreader events have been in churches and restaurants/bars. Caveat Emptor.

I’m okay with alfresco dining, that’s really my preferred way of eating at a restaurant. I would avoid eating inside or at any crowded joint for the forseeable future.

1 Like

The statistics are out in NZ. We drank less during the lockdown. There are a lot of vineyards facing troubled times because of the absence of overseas tourists.

1 Like

My Kiwi buddies must have been at sea this whole time. The pandemic is just the kind of excuse they’d pounce on as a reason to triple their considerable daily intake “to keep the virus at bay, mate”.

2 Likes

Drinking increased here in the US. A lot of craft breweries and small distilleries are taking a hit though. I stopped all alcohol about three months ago and I think it’s helped keep me healthy. Alcohol negatively affects immunity. I also take Vitamin D (everyone should)

Nearing 100.000 casualties and Trump is playing golf. Probably trying to beat the hell out of the Coronavirus at the golf course.

Per head our consumption is pretty impressive, in beer we are right up there with Czechs and Germans ( Bier is another four letter word for food) so it is probable that the bar was set pretty high.

Quite a few of our local craft breweries have recently bit the dust as well. There were too many too fast, and this virus crap has thinned them out a bit. Hopefully, the ones left can survive . Vitamin D is on our ever increasing supply of meds.

Would you spend your days insulting and demonizing a potential lender when you’re running an operation that needs to borrow incredible amounts of money? Would you also be threatening to renege on the debt that you already owe this potential lender?

Maybe not the smartest thing to do.
But than again; who accused Trump of being smart?:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/05/22/trumps-demonization-china-puts-us-financial-peril/

I was walking into a convenience store today that had a big sign on the door, “No Mask No Entry”. The guy ahead of me said I can’t believe that shit, they’re going to take all our freedoms before this is over." He walked back to his truck, put his seat belt on and left.
Apparently he didn’t care about the freedom of being thrown thru a windshield.

2 Likes

Did he drive on the right hand side of the road, or claim the freedom to choose which side to drive on?

PS> I worked in Chittagong, Bangladesh in 1972. There the rule was; “drive on the best side of the road”. (I.e. the side without bomb craters and/or least potholes)

3 Likes

Regardless of what one may think, the virus is out there, it’s pretty damned lethal, it is killing relatively young people in their twenties, thirties and so on. Human nature being what it is, it’s easy to think it will never happen to me or you but it can. Even if you survive the virus, it can leave lasting organ damage so why screw around- a mask is nothing. You don’t complain about wearing a shirt or shoes into the store so why bitch about a mask?

Why has this become such a culture war?

If you’re worried about the “cool” factor, get a gaitor, lots of cops and military guys wear those. Get one that filters UV and wear it fishing.

3 Likes

The cool factor has been popping up as a potential reason why some refuse to wear masks but it goes deeper. Seat belts, OK, shoes OK, shirts OK, a mask? NO EFFING WAY! It’s as if wearing a mask crosses a line that the others don’t. Is it psychologically perceived as a restriction of free speech because it covers the mouth? Seems like a stretch.
I remember how resistant people were to using seat belts. It was only through relentless PSAs, strict enforcement and hefty fines that many people complied and it took years.
I hope we see a vaccine before it comes to that.

2 Likes

I also remember the seat belt fracas, it also was about “freedom” and not being dictated to by the federal government. Some folks thought it was their God given right to have themselves and their children thrown thru a windshield or out of a door and against a tree in the event of an accident.One of the last states to require the use of seat belts was South Carolina which, considering the state’s history was understandable. Only after the Federal government threatened to take away highway funds did they pass the seat belt requirement. As a famous philosopher once said, “You can’t fix stupid.”

1 Like