Covid-19, Flying in to Seattle to join a vessel

With Western Washington being a Covid-19 hot spot, what’s it like now to fly into Seattle and join a vessel?

You’ll probably find you have more room on the airplane. There’ll be less traffic on the roads as well. Just wash your hands and try to support some small businesses as you pass through, those guys are really taking a hit with this virus slowdown.

1 Like

Just flew out of SeaTac yesterday. Nothing out of the ordinary from what I saw.

It’s fine. Just wash your hands whenever you have a chance. There’s a lot less traffic as people who are able to are working from home. And UW and SCC are doing online classroom instruction only now. So commute from SeaTac will be quick.

Possibly because we have as many deaths now worldwide with 110k cases as Swine flu did with 771k cases? If covid-19 follows the same progression as Swine flu (and it seems so far to be doing that except about thirty days earlier) a year from now it will have killed over two million people.

4 Likes

The annual mortality rate for the flu in the US is 0.01%. In 2009 with H1N1 the mortality rate was twice as high at 0.02%, 12,000 deaths. The world mortality rate of the coronavirus is 3.45%. 15% of people who have the coronavirus who get admitted into a hospital will die. Hundreds of medical professionals who were in the prime of there lives with no underlying conditions have died from the coronavirus while receiving the best medical treatments available. If 56 million Americans get the coronavirus like they did with H1N1 in 2009, 1,932,000 would die if the mortality rate stayed at 3.45%. Possibly almost 2 million dead Americans?

There’s a difference between fear & being aware of danger. Taking precaution isn’t the same as being in a panic. The US isn’t in the fear & panic stages yet IMO. All the discussions, precautions & education is a good thing in my opinion. And if it goes away like SARS & MARS then all the better & hopefully the world will be better prepared when a superbug does try to kill off +3-5% of the world population as has happened before.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-death-rate/

3 Likes

One thing that I wonder about with Seattle & California is their homeless camps, shelters & population. Those camps have no sanitation systems in place & some of the shelters are nothing but gym size rooms with cots spread 3 ft apart. I read that LA’s skid row has a population of 7,000 homeless in a dozen or so square blocks. I would suspect the mortality rate would be in the teens or higher if the coronavirus got into those communities.

1 Like

Coronavirus mortality rate scales dramatically with age. For reference the mortality rate of seasonal influenza for all ages and sexes is about 0.1%.

AGE DEATH RATE
80+ years old 14.8%
70-79 years old 8.0%
60-69 years old 3.6%
50-59 years old 1.3%
40-49 years old 0.4%
30-39 years old 0.2%
20-29 years old 0.2%
10-19 years old 0.2%
0-9 years old no fatalities

SEX DEATH RATE
Male 2.8%
Female 1.7%

PRE-EXISTING CONDITION DEATH RATE
Cardiovascular disease 10.5%
Diabetes 7.3%
Chronic respiratory disease 6.3%
Hypertension 6.0%
Cancer 5.6%

4 Likes

Per CDC here is the influenza mortality rate for 2017-2018

0-4 yrs 0.0006%
5-17 yrs 0.001%
18-49 yrs 0.002%
50-64 yrs 0.0106%
65+ yrs 0.1001%

This will eventually kill many more folks then the flu. (Mostly grandparents.)

2 Likes

This is a nasty virus. This site shows 6 percent mortality. It’s a pretty good way to keep up with it. Most mariners nowadays are fairly healthy and not over 70. I still plan to go on vacation and live my life.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

1 Like

I hope not. That year estimated 61,000 people died.

Flew through there last weekend. Bunch of mouth breathers with their surgical masks pulled down around their necks and designer neoprene ski masks with holes cut in them. Business as normal otherwise…you could probably turn a nice profit hawking travel sized hand sanitizer if you can find it…

1 Like

I know someone who has a good supply…

1 Like

I bet you do…

1 Like

Great info.

I’m old enough to be high risk.

It’s March now, and some speculate that the pandemic will burn itself out as the weather turns warm.

2 Likes

So global warming is a good thing. . . . .

2 Likes

Been skimming a few articles here and there so FWIW.

One issue is the numbers have high uncertainty but the amount of uncertainty is expected to decrease, especially over this next week.

As far warmer weather, it’s a race between the rate of spread and the rate of improvement of the response. Warm weather may slow the rate of spread while the response is expected to improve over time. This may allow the response to get ahead of the spread.

Afaik it’s not been determined yet whether this is a seasonal virus or not.

Yes, the official word from the CDC is that importance of the seasons is “unknown”.

Oz is very hot and they have the virus, but large numbers not reported as of yet.

Obviously, the real numbers must be much much higher than the reported numbers. Lots of people are asymptomatic. It can take weeks for symptoms to manifest themselves.

Who thinks the government could actually keep an accurate count?

A TV virologist said that he expected the mortality rate to drop over time. I assume that’s due either to mutation, acquired immunity, or both.

The Saudi’s starting an oil price war during the outbreak is apt to crash the world economy