Covid-19 News/Updates

What about the use of mobile phones while driving?
It is prohibited in most countries, especially if not using “hands free” devices with it. (Even so, it is recommended to pull over to use your mobile phone)

Yet I see even professional drivers that both talk, read and send messages while driving, both here in Norway and in Singapore.

How does that go down with the “freedom” loving crowd in the US??

Massachusetts has had that pulled on them at least three times – once for passing on the right on highways, once for right of way coming out of a roundabout, and once for right turn on red.

And boy were they sore losers. On the traffic circle thing they did it and didn’t publicize it, so for twenty years nobody knew what to expect until the old folks died off. And they planted 750,000** No Right Turn On Red signs the weekend before the law went into effect.

**75,000? A huge number, anyhow. They gradually came down over the following decade or so.

None for using the shoulder of 128 as a travel lane?

Passing on the right? Only losers and Yankee fans pass on the left. Same for speeding. You’re invisible to police in the right lane.

Right of way in a roundabout? On Rt 2 in Concord it’s every driver for themselves.

5 Likes

Thanks for my first chuckle of the day JD. I hated driving up north. Along with east ,south ,and west.

1 Like

I don’t think 128 existed at the time they were forced to allow passing on the right. If it did it was a lonely road out in the puckies. It would have been 1957 or before unless I’m remembering wrong. If I am it would have been '64-'66 or so. Either way it was before I cared much about roads.

What about the use of mobile phones while driving?
It is prohibited in most countries, especially if not using “hands free” devices with it. (Even so, it is recommended to pull over to use your mobile phone)

Yet I see even professional drivers that both talk, read and send messages while driving, both here in Norway and in Singapore.
How does that go down with the “freedom” loving crowd in the US??
[/quote]

It varies. Some states ban it some states don’t. In most states you can buy bumper stickers that say “Shut Up and Drive”. For a period of time I had a signal jammer I built which kept me entertained. In traffic, a grocery or a plane sitting on the ground I occasionally exercised my freedom to pursue happiness. Then someone got all huffy and had the FCC send me a letter.

1 Like

As predicted, rate of transmission starting to creep back up in certain locales:

Rate of Transmission by State

Earl

Trump silent as 100.000+ Americans died of Coronavirus. Empathy zero.

1 Like

Beer alert! The terraces are open again here since Sunday, off course with our five (not six) feet distancing to be complied with. No masks as the idea now is that contamination with the virus outside in the free air is virtually impossible. And drinking beer with a mask is a bit akward.

1 Like

Allergan implants and Grolsch beer bring back fond memories.

When did you get the implants? :wink:

1 Like

It looks like all restrictions except international travel will be removed next Monday. The beer stocks are holding out and Dutchie - I fear the consequences if I ignored social distancing from the lady pictured.

1 Like

With all the gloom of the pandemic a little ray of sunshine. This vintage will be the best this century. The Chardonnay and Pinot Noir promise to be outstanding so watch for 2020. New Zealand is now officially clear of the virus.

2 Likes

200-1100 deaths per day of protests.

Culling of Mink in the Netherlands due to suspected animal to human transmission of SARS Cov 2 virus:

Originally the Minks were infected by contact with human handlers.

And the plot thickens. Hope my black bear doodle dog is not implicated.

To Lee Shore, I see a sudden percentage uptick in cases in Dare County. Although low number cases perhaps, but rising, any surprise here ? My guy is going full bore with the charters finally, and nailing it. I still worry for him and his fellow charterers.

Sewage water as indicator for spreading of Covid-19.

Majority in that county are on septic tanks. Population goes from around 30k to 150k during vacation season, which was opened up recently.

I think the kids going to school will create infection wave number two?
I just spoke to a Doc who has just started to test kids that he sees in his clinic and say so far its a scary percentage that have it but with no symptoms.