Companies hiring OS?

Anyone know of companies hiring OS? Everyone seems to want AB’s, but how the hell am I supposed to make AB if I can’t get any sea time?

Use the “search” function or risk unleashing the fury of the “Pointy Stick”!

Where are you located. And what if any marine experience do you have?

Do you have your MMC, and a TWIC Card?

Hornbeck still is as far as I know.

I’ve heard that Hornbeck won’t be hiring again until June. They hired a slew of new guys over the past 6 months or so and are taking a hiatus for a while.

Try Candy Fleet over in Morgan City. They have reasonable equipment, but are a stepping stone company with a bit of crew turn over. Their checks are always good.

Otherwise, check the Mom and Pop crewboat and supply boat companies.

have u try S.I.U union ?

I agree on what WATER said. With all the companies on the bayou I’m sure someone will hire you, so you can get time. Good luck

Don’t waste your time with HGIM. They will talk to you, tell you to come in. Then when you drive down. You get some guy “Uhhh we ain’t hiring” if your an OS, you can’t buy a job there. I know 3 OS, 7 engineers, 6 captains, all applied. And were told no, but guys on the boats say they don’t have relief. Hummmm

SIU companies are really phasing out the OS too. If you’re an OS they want you to take the lookout duties class so you can stand a watch. Just plain OS you can try SIU but it will be rough.

So how many of you would recommend shelling out the ~$1000 + 5 days to do the BST course and/or the ~$200 +2 days for RFPNW before heading down to the GOM to knock on doors?

I had been under the impression that although it would make it easier to get hired initially, most companies will pay for some or all of that after you get hired. Bad assumption? I was thinking I’d at least try without it for a bit first and see if I got lucky.

Thanks

If you want a better shot at an OS spot on a bigger vessel at one of the big companies…I would recommend BST. At the 100 ton level however, it is not needed.

Andrie Inc. needs O.S.'s this Spring.

Second that!

Yeah what are they paying guys now ? 40 a day and a loaf of bread ? Run as far and as fast as you can from the cement ATB’s up there. Oil side was good but only the strong survive.

what do you mean? They are cut throat on the atbs??

[QUOTE=Shredrick McGnarlson;135515]So how many of you would recommend shelling out the ~$1000 + 5 days to do the BST course and/or the ~$200 +2 days for RFPNW before heading down to the GOM to knock on doors?

I had been under the impression that although it would make it easier to get hired initially, most companies will pay for some or all of that after you get hired. Bad assumption? I was thinking I’d at least try without it for a bit first and see if I got lucky.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

It depends on your budget and how much of a gambler you are. For the most part, the guys that will pay you more will find you more attractive if you already have BST and RFPNW but will often hire guys without and send them to school, but their hiring OSs seems to be sporadic. The lesser paying companies though are more likely to hire an OS and often don’t even require STCW so they don’t care if you have BST or not. But since they don’t require STCW, they aren’t going to send you to school for it either.

So in a nutshell, if you have the funds for BST and RFPNW right now and are willing to gamble that a bigger company will hire you, then do it. If you need the paycheck now and don’t mind that it’s not top dollar, save your money and hit up the smaller boat companies.

There’s always the chance that a major player still won’t hire you even with BST and RFPNW and that you’ll wind up at the smaller company for less money anyway. (In the end you will still have to get those eventually though).

Get a job first before bothering to take anything but BST, and that is questionable as I would tell you to find a job on a 100 ton boat. Those are easier to find and the sea time still counts towards your AB.

Don’t bother with RFPNW. Waste of time and money for you right now.

You guys are awesome, exactly what I needed to hear. Thanks for the input.

This must be what it feels like to make an informed decision!

[QUOTE=papermate;134900]Don’t waste your time with HGIM. They will talk to you, tell you to come in. Then when you drive down. You get some guy “Uhhh we ain’t hiring” if your an OS, you can’t buy a job there. I know 3 OS, 7 engineers, 6 captains, all applied. And were told no, but guys on the boats say they don’t have relief. Hummmm[/QUOTE]

Can anyone confirm this comment about HGIM?
Thanks!0