OS Jobs a real thing?

Is it really possible to get a job as an os? I’ve worked on small cruise ships for 6 years and have 100 ton masters, STCW 95, twic… and cant seem to get a job… Wondering if anyone out there had any suggestions for me… I’m very boat knowledgeable and a very hard worker but it just dose not seem to work out for me any where I look… Any suggestions…?

You don’t want an OS job. Go get your AB/Lifeboatman. Your 100 ton will cover your RFPNW requirements. The money spent will be worth the $$ you will make.

The thing is Adam, it is a tough job market out there right now. I think in times like these it is all about timing, persistence and luck. Look into as many companies as you can and don’t be picky. One thing is for sure it always seems to me that when I have a job that other job opportunities seem to be limitless. Get on somewhere, even if it is not exactly what you are looking for and keep you ear to the ground. Sooner or later you will get what you want. Take advantage of every training or certification that you can get from your employer and constantly advance yourself and your documents. Over time you will become more and more valuable. It is hard for companies to get people where they want them professionally. Once you are there, they want to keep you. Hopefully things will pick up in the Gulf soon and get some folks back to work. Maybe you will be one of the ones that picks up some work when the drilling starts back. Try to get on somewhere with that 100 ton. I ran 100 ton boats for a couple of years before upgrading and learned a great deal on the smaller boats. Good Luck to you.

the 100-ton WILL NOT cover the RFPNW that an AB needs to work on a vessel over 200 tons in international waters.

there was an older policy letter that is no longer in effect, these are the requirements for the RFPNW

http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/checklists/MCP-FM-NMC5-62%20RFPNW.pdf?list1=checklists%2FMCP-FM-NMC5-62+RFPNW.pdf&B1=GO!

it might be worth looking at doing a course (2day i think) for the RFPNW lookout duties. it is good for 1 year, this will give you the time to get the assessments done. an AB course in louisiana will run about 400 dollars. that can open more doors for you. there are other schools around the country, sea-school offers housing in mobile alabama included in the price along with food, not a bad deal, can do the ab and lifeboatman all at once.

there are 100 ton jobs out there but you just have to keep at it, tough right now for work in the GOM, but there are still jobs,keep looking and do not give up,might have to take a job as an OS or AB to get your foot in the door.

[QUOTE=Capt. Lee;48200]The thing is Adam, it is a tough job market out there right now. I think in times like these it is all about timing, persistence and luck. Look into as many companies as you can and don’t be picky. One thing is for sure it always seems to me that when I have a job that other job opportunities seem to be limitless. Get on somewhere, even if it is not exactly what you are looking for and keep you ear to the ground. Sooner or later you will get what you want. Take advantage of every training or certification that you can get from your employer and constantly advance yourself and your documents. Over time you will become more and more valuable. It is hard for companies to get people where they want them professionally. Once you are there, they want to keep you. Hopefully things will pick up in the Gulf soon and get some folks back to work. Maybe you will be one of the ones that picks up some work when the drilling starts back. Try to get on somewhere with that 100 ton. I ran 100 ton boats for a couple of years before upgrading and learned a great deal on the smaller boats. Good Luck to you.[/QUOTE]

Well said Capt Lee

Things were tough when I started and it is easy to get discouraged. During my job search a friend asked me how thing were going. I told her that I was getting discouraged because every where I went people kept telling me how few jobs their were. My friend told me that it didn’t matter that there were few openings because I only needed one (1) job.

K.C.

Try up here on the Great lakes, Adam. All the companies use O/S’s and STCW is not yet a requirement. My company is top to bottom MM & P crewed. Company does the hiring and after a probationary period, you join the union. Grand River Navigation, Avon Lake, OH, Interlake, Richfield Springs, OH are two of the bigger outfits up here. Good luck.

With enough time to get a masters ticket, don’t you have enough to get an AB?

You don’t say what part of the maritime industry you’re looking at.

Does the yachting industry interest you?
This is the beginning of the crew-up season.
You can contact the management/placement co.'s.

[QUOTE=seadog6608;48256]Try up here on the Great lakes, Grand River Navigation, Avon Lake, OH, .[/QUOTE]

Grand river just bought two Tug barge units and will likely be needing some deckhands to work on them, They where already scouting around the academy trying to pick up 3rd Mates with pilotage and 3rd Assistants that graduate in May.

Might be worth it to get you through these tough times. Guys work pretty hard but make decent money, some fellow cadets made pretty damn good money working a lot of overtime with Grand River as part time summer gigs.

just my 2 cents.

Nate

[B]Choust OS [/B]

[B]N.O.A.A. (no money) and various others[/B]