AB hirings on OSVs

I heard that the OSV companies like Tidewater, Hornbeck, etc. will be hiring sometime this year. Does anybody know when and whether it will ABs or not? Last year has been so difficult trying to look for work in the maritime because of the longshoreman’s union problem here on the west coast and the lowering of the cost for petroleum on the Gulf. Hopefully things will start shaping up this year because I want to start working.

Have you checked the Lakes, Inland Boat Union, Alaska Marine Highway, SIU, SUP? Because from what the Gulf guys are saying, theres not going to be much hiring for the immediate future.

I’m not telling you not to try, just don’t put all your eggs in one basket.

Not an OSV, but harley marine has an active posting for deckhand/cook in Dutch harbor…that’d be on the GYRFALCON…mostly harbor time with a weekly run over to Akutan… it was posted on their website Jan 5th.

[QUOTE=TugboatHills;152063]I heard that the OSV companies like Tidewater, Hornbeck, etc. will be hiring sometime this year. Does anybody know when and whether it will ABs or not? Last year has been so difficult trying to look for work in the maritime because of the longshoreman’s union problem here on the west coast and the lowering of the cost for petroleum on the Gulf. Hopefully things will start shaping up this year because I want to start working.[/QUOTE]

Get a job anywhere you can. I can’t speak for all, but what I do know is most of the GOM companies, even though their vessels may be working, are cutting back. Most if not all of them over-hired and this downswing came hard and abruptly. Lots of mates/captains working as ABs waiting for a shot of moving up and all that, too.

If I was looking for AB work I would be looking into tugs or ATBs.

Do you know of any companies that have ATBs besides Crowley, Harley, and Kirby?