Answer this for me please

Is their really an hiring freeze going on in the gulf

It appears they are not hiring any OS or wipers. I haven’t seen a wiper in years. Most of the OS’s got the job through family connections. Based on info exchanged here, most companies only hire experienced AB’s or QMED’s. I would think the reason is the seasoned guys would have enough sea time for an upgrade. Keep trying man don’t give up. It isn’t a de facto freeze, more of a general observation. Unfortunately in your situation you don’t have the means to go door knocking. Keep your positive attitude and be relentless with your phone calls and emails. Something will eventually break for you.

Thanks I will

This is killing me. So I was going to be hitting Hwy 1 about 8am tomorrow morning and need to make the most of my time down there. I only have OS/Wiper on my card . Starting at Hwy 90, what are the smaller crew/utility boat companies I could apply to on Bayou Lafourche? Somebody that would hire an OS deckhand or unlicensed engineer.

There is no harm in trying them all. As stated numerous times before you could be “Johnny on the spot” and walk right into a job.

[QUOTE=gcsaylor;77455]This is killing me. So I was going to be hitting Hwy 1 about 8am tomorrow morning and need to make the most of my time down there. I only have OS/Wiper on my card . Starting at Hwy 90, what are the smaller crew/utility boat companies I could apply to on Bayou Lafourche? Somebody that would hire an OS deckhand or unlicensed engineer.[/QUOTE]

I haven’t heard anything from my company to confirm that there is a hiring freeze. Only from a couple of postings here.

Damn the torpeedos, full steam ahead… !

Good luck to ya!

Try GOL. Our new office is immediately off hwy 90 when you turn onto 308. First place on the left. May not need you right now, but if you impress them they’ll call when they need you.

Thanks, yes I met Ms Abby a couple of weeks back down at the old office. Unfortunately it was noon on Friday and she was locking the front door (learned a lesson there). We hit it off pretty well and I told her I’d get back.

Half day Fridays…ahhh, the tough world of a bayou office worker.

There is NOT a hiring freeze down here but most companies would rather have experienced over no experience. However this year I have worked with OS’s at Hornbeck and Today met one starting at Seacor. Hornbeck in particular has a big staffing challenge with at least 18 newbuilds on the way in 2013 and 2014. My orientation had 2 or 3 OS.

So does HOS have an office down on the bayou that would be a better place to apply to or do I go to Covington?

You have to go to Covington.

There is a ton of new builds going on down here, The price of oil is still very high. There will not be any sustained hiring freezes for a very long time. Don’t believe everything you here on the internet.