Planning on knocking doors in louisiana, save your money for later!

just some advice at least that’s my perspective from knocking on doors so far, and only talking about entry level jobs, qmed, ab, os ex. if your tight on money and planning on making the plunge anytime soon, save it for later, Have been to, chouest, Harvey, Adriatic, and some mom’s and pop’s. and almost all are saying that there is hiring freeze, and that probably there won’t be anything until the beginning of the year.

what have others experienced so far, if down and looking?

You probably right, the end of the year maybe the earliest…

Try calling Tidewater, I know that you have to make a appointment to interview with them. But about a month ago I was told by one of their guys that they weren’t getting a relief.

[QUOTE=dncartersweatte1993;146628]Try calling Tidewater, I know that you have to make a appointment to interview with them. But about a month ago I was told by one of their guys that they weren’t getting a relief.[/QUOTE]

They don’t do walk-ins usually. Gotta fill out their online app and they will contact you from there.

Stick with the mom and pop companies. They don’t have the employee pool, or employee loyalty the bigger companies have. They never know when they’ll need somebody, no matter how hard they wish to not have to hire until the end of the year. If you’re hungry, they’ll get you through until availability opens up where you’re wanting to be.

I work on jackup boats and people have been getting laid off left and right, stacking boats and all. They are mostly keeping license personnel, hell we have a 1600ton master that is running OS on my boat now (didn’t cut his pay but stacked his boat).

Hoping to make through the winter and things should pick back up in the spring (I hope).

Good Luck

Man I am sorry to hear that!!! We all been there wondering if your name is on the next list. Good luck and I hope things do pick up after the winter!!

time to switch to another sector sounds like…

thx for the info though…I was thinking about driving my beater 1200 miles to “knock on doors” but not for that sector of the oil field.

think I will do my knocking through email…much cheaper and more comfortable from my living room.

Been a lot of West Coast Towing job postings elsewhere on the net…indeed.com, etc

Smaller companies always get in a pinch usually in November and December you should be able to find something if you willing to work over the holidays.

Editing this post just in case I said things about my employer that I shouldn’t have. Keeping it simple. Marquette offshore really needs deckhands and captains. They hire os. Not sure about engineers.

You can apply online to the universities for relief work on UNOLS ships. They all have relief pools. The pay is poor compared to the Gulf but if you need work for a month or three here and there, it’s an option. They go to some pretty neat places. The global class ships all have DP.

I just got off of one at Honolulu. Been home 4 days.

[QUOTE=desertrat85;146971]Editing this post just in case I said things about my employer that I shouldn’t have. Keeping it simple. Marquette offshore really needs deckhands and captains. They hire os. Not sure about engineers.[/QUOTE]

Can you tell me what the start OS at $$$ ??