Good morning, get the pointy sticks out, another newbie question

Good morning everyone,

I guess the short version of this is that I’ve found this is not an easy industry to become employed in at entry level (duh, I know). I’ve got my credentials and have been making trips to the bayou but the common answer I get everywhere is that either “we don’t hire OS” or “we are taking applications and will call you if we need you”. Has this industry gotten to the point where the only way a green hand will land a job is to be in the right place at the right time? Do I need to camp out in an office until threatened with police removal? I’ve been following up interviews and applications with follow up calls and emails and usually do get a response, just of “not looking at this time”. I’ve been visiting and calling companies advertising that they’re hiring for all positions. I’ve put my name in the hat a headhunter (more on Monday) and I’m going to apply with some inland companies next week. I’m also going to visit the bottom of the barrel operations and see what I can do. Just trying to figure out if the GOM companies are in a slump right now? Is this poor timing? Is there a better time of the month or year to do this? I’ve been reading and using the search function, I’m just wondering if more people are in this same situation as I am. Thank you for any help, advice, or information you may provide.

[QUOTE=Choppersled;134096]Good morning everyone,

I guess the short version of this is that I’ve found this is not an easy industry to become employed in at entry level (duh, I know). I’ve got my credentials and have been making trips to the bayou but the common answer I get everywhere is that either “we don’t hire OS” or “we are taking applications and will call you if we need you”. Has this industry gotten to the point where the only way a green hand will land a job is to be in the right place at the right time? Do I need to camp out in an office until threatened with police removal? I’ve been following up interviews and applications with follow up calls and emails and usually do get a response, just of “not looking at this time”. I’ve been visiting and calling companies advertising that they’re hiring for all positions. I’ve put my name in the hat a headhunter (more on Monday) and I’m going to apply with some inland companies next week. I’m also going to visit the bottom of the barrel operations and see what I can do. Just trying to figure out if the GOM companies are in a slump right now? Is this poor timing? Is there a better time of the month or year to do this? I’ve been reading and using the search function, I’m just wondering if more people are in this same situation as I am. Thank you for any help, advice, or information you may provide.[/QUOTE]

Why don’t you try staying at A Chateau On the Bayou for a week? It seems like people staying there often have good luck.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;134098]Why don’t you try staying at A Chateau On the Bayou for a week? It seems like people staying there often have good luck.[/QUOTE]

Thanks tugsailor, it’s very ironic you say that. I am on their website right now trying to figure out my next trip!

The bottom of the barrel you mentioned is usually where a green OS will find his experience. Don’t discount 100 ton companies like Odyssea and even International (pay sucks and boats are slightly better but it’s sea time). The 100 ton company may tell you that they don’t require/need OS’s, but the sea time will still count towards an AB.

[QUOTE=txwooley;134100]The bottom of the barrel you mentioned is usually where a green OS will find his experience. Don’t discount 100 ton companies like Odyssea and even International (pay sucks and boats are slightly better but it’s sea time). The 100 ton company may tell you that they don’t require/need OS’s, but the sea time will still count towards an AB.[/QUOTE]

Yes sir, I interviewed at Odyssea and they pretty much said thank you but we’re fully staffed right now.

International is no longer a company they were bought out by GIS MARINE,LLC try there the turn over rate is pretty high some of the boats aren’t the best but iris a start!!

You shoulda said “…so why’d you interview me?”

[QUOTE=LI_Domer;137410]You shoulda said “…so why’d you interview me?”[/QUOTE]

Boy I would like to! Stopped at a company the other day and the lady asked me if I’d had experience working offshore before. When I told her no she looked at me like I made an inappropriate advance on her granddaughter at Thanksgiving dinner. She then told me they don’t hire anyone without at least 6 months experience. I thought to myself, how am I supposed to get it if no one hires me! Oh well, I’m not the first or the last to go through this. Thanks for keeping the pointy sticks in mothballs!

Hit the crewboat and utility boat (<100-ton) companies. They don’t call entry-level positions “OS,” they call them deckhands, and there is a pretty constant churn at most companies. You won’t make a ton, but it’s essentially the same work you’d be doing on larger vessels (and some things you’d likely never get to do on bigger boats) and as mentioned the sea time counts. Iberia Marine Service/Comar Marine/Texas Crewboats (SeaTran, now?) in Amelia would be a good place to start, GIS, Alliance Liftboats (crewboats and mini-supplies, too) … Gulf Resource Management Inc. (GRMI) in New Iberia is getting a new boat at the end of this month and will be adding crew. Adriatic Marine (Raceland – the office is behind the post office) just purchased three boats from CE. Also try Gulf Logistics in Larose, and C&G in Golden Meadow.

As has been mentioned repeatedly in this forum, it is about being there (and being able to pass a drug test and physical and go to the boat in the morning) when they have a spot to fill. Seems like crew changes are most often Tues-Thurs, with some Mondays. A lot of time a crew coordinator or HR person knows a few days in advance there will be a vacancy to fill at the upcoming crew change.

If it were me, I think I’d probably go down on a Wed., knock on doors Thurs. and Fri. (a lot of offices slow down towards the end of the week and people have more time to talk to you … though some companies take Friday afternoon off) … go fishing or visit the WWII museum in NOLA over the weekend, and continue knocking on doors Monday and Tues. Downside is you’ll have a couple of dead days over the weekend and the cost of accommodations those days, but I really think those are the four most valuable days.

Just my 2 cents.

Call Abes Boat Rentals…definitely bottom of the barrel but You can get some experience. They seem to hire just about anyone, lord knows I get them as deck hands regularly. Many of them don’t know what a crescent wrench is .I’m so ready to move on!504-398-3637 or their office is in Belle Chasse.

Are you the same Shawn Youngblood that used to run the Treasure Island in PC?

I know how you feel. I’ve been in the industry for 6 years now but when I started out , it was hard. I knew people who were in the Company I ended up working for and they made all these promises that they would put in a good word. Come to find out one of them was actually messing me up because I am in the Army Reserves and the company didn’t want to mess with it , Deployments , mandatory drills ect. About the time I gave up I was getting pizza for my wife and son at Dominos and this HR person from the Company called asking if I could come to work the following day. I said yes as most would and thats how it happened. Dont give up you will get work.

[QUOTE=Dawn patrol;137486]Are you the same Shawn Youngblood that used to run the Treasure Island in PC?[/QUOTE]

Yep! certainly am. Have I been busted?

You have! You can never run from your past. I was there the day you took that thing out for your first time. I remember you were nervous as hell[QUOTE=ShawnYoungblood;137509]Yep! certainly am. Have I been busted?[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Dawn patrol;137611]You have! You can never run from your past. I was there the day you took that thing out for your first time. I remember you were nervous as hell[/QUOTE]
That’s been quite a number of years. I must have made one heck of an impression for you to still remember. Who is this?

[QUOTE=txwooley;134100]The bottom of the barrel you mentioned is usually where a green OS will find his experience. Don’t discount 100 ton companies like Odyssea and even International (pay sucks and boats are slightly better but it’s sea time). The 100 ton company may tell you that they don’t require/need OS’s, but the sea time will still count towards an AB.[/QUOTE]

“pay sucks” could you be more specific please? I’m trying to get back into the GOM as a Captain while working on my raises in grade, I may have to go this route to not only gain necessary experience but to afford my classes etc, for upgrade. Any ballpark figures on 100 ton Master or 200 ton mate pay with these type companies would be appreciated.
Thanks

[QUOTE=roundabout;137673]“pay sucks” could you be more specific please? I’m trying to get back into the GOM as a Captain while working on my raises in grade, I may have to go this route to not only gain necessary experience but to afford my classes etc, for upgrade. Any ballpark figures on 100 ton Master or 200 ton mate pay with these type companies would be appreciated.
Thanks[/QUOTE]

Anywhere from $300 to $400 a day depending on Your experience and negotiating skills! 350 is tops at the company I work for but I have heard guys making 4 bills at other companies.