Business Cards - Does you use one? Where? What do you have on it?

Kind of an odd question for these forums, but do any of you carry your own business card?

I’m currently in the process of designing one mainly for the purpose of ‘advertising’ a possible blog, but it will have professional details on it as well. Nevertheless, I’m curious as to what professional mariners might put on such a card aside from the basics.

Thoughts on possible items:

• Current Rating/License
  • Perhaps STCW info, shorthand
  • Current company
  • Location(state)
  • Other credentials
  • Mariner Reference Number?

I’m not sure how confidential the reference number is suppose to be. Currently have it on my resume as a hyperlink to the USCG’s Homeport webpage for verification. Not that anyone would bother using it. Hell, I even have my email setup as a mailto: link.

Aside from tradeshows, or the like, where do you all give them out? To fellow crew-members, when taking courses, just at interviews?

It’s good that you are proud of your accomplishments mate. Keep up the progress.

[QUOTE=PineappleOranges;188280]Kind of an odd question for these forums, but do any of you carry your own business card?

I’m currently in the process of designing one mainly for the purpose of ‘advertising’ a possible blog, but it will have professional details on it as well. Nevertheless, I’m curious as to what professional mariners might put on such a card aside from the basics.

Thoughts on possible items:

• Current Rating/License
  • Perhaps STCW info, shorthand
  • Current company
  • Location(state)
  • Other credentials
  • Mariner Reference Number?

I’m not sure how confidential the reference number is suppose to be. Currently have it on my resume as a hyperlink to the USCG’s Homeport webpage for verification. Not that anyone would bother using it. Hell, I even have my email setup as a mailto: link.

Aside from tradeshows, or the like, where do you all give them out? To fellow crew-members, when taking courses, just at interviews?[/QUOTE]

Name, phone number, email, and current licenses held. Don’t give them too much information. They need to know who you are, what you do, and how to get a hold of you. You can fill in the details if they contact you. I don’t see any reason to list your current company. If the company you work for wants you to have a card with their info, let them pay for it. And if you are ever handing out cards to someone you may want to work for, they don’t need to know where you are and what youre doing right away.

As for who gets them, I hand them out to people id like to work for, should I happen to be talking to them. Resumes go in stacks of papers, and everyone has stacks of papers everywhere, but business cards generally end up in someones “business card spot”, and they usually only have one card spot. I include them on resumes, paper clipped on, not stapled, so it can easily be removed and placed where it will be remembered, the same way you remember " oh I got a card from that guy that does that thing, and its over here in my spot where I keep all my cards". I also hand them out to vendors during shipyard work, since it has all my contact info, or say to the coast guard or ABS or whoever else ill be in contact with for whatever reason.

Now personally, I wouldn’t mix business with pleasure. Your blog is your opinion and depending what type of blog it is, I feel it will be much more likely to negatively impact your professional life. If youre a mariner and youre going to talk about your maritime experiences on your blog, I wouldn’t want potential employers digging through it looking for something they don’t agree with ( same goes with politics, religion etc ). I feel the same way about social networking. If we work together, or I work for you or I want to, theres a pretty good chance I don’t want you seeing anything that myself or my friends post on there. Youre not hanging out with these people when youre not working so they don’t deserve to know. If your goal is to hand out cards for your blog and want to use your job title to generate some credibility, Keep it simple. “Bob Bobson Chief engineer” is enough. They don’t need to get on NMC and verify you have all 4 licenses you also listed on there. Don’t list them, and don’t give them the number. Cards are pretty cheap, you could always have 2…

Do you actually work on a boat or are you just here to be chatty?

[QUOTE=snacktray;188288]
…Now personally, I wouldn’t mix business with pleasure. Your blog is your opinion and depending what type of blog it is, I feel it will be much more likely to negatively impact your professional life. If youre a mariner and youre going to talk about your maritime experiences on your blog, I wouldn’t want potential employers digging through it looking for something they don’t agree with ( same goes with politics, religion etc ). I feel the same way about social networking.

…If your goal is to hand out cards for your blog and want to use your job title to generate some credibility, Keep it simple.[/QUOTE]

The possible negative impact is part of the reason my sole social media account is LinkedIn.

As far as the blog is concerned, it would mainly be about my marine experience, and the job title on the card was for credibility as you stated. What degree of anonymity, identity, and detail of content is something I’m still working out. Family and friends could always have different content available I suppose.

Nevertheless, It seem Kelly’s KISS principle applies to business cards too. Name, number, email, profession.

I never had a business card when I sailed. There were some who did, but mostly the “younger” folks, but this was in the days before blogs, social media and the like. I would be hesitant to place a company name and logo on a card because this implies that they sanction it. Now, if you approached your employer and asked for one. . . if not, I would agree with the above. Name, profession (marine engineer/deck officer), and contact information. . .

These days, I carry two cards, one for my day job that they issue to me and another for my photography business. . .

[QUOTE=cmakin;188301]I never had a business card when I sailed. There were some who did, but mostly the “younger” folks, but this was in the days before blogs, social media and the like. I would be hesitant to place a company name and logo on a card because this implies that they sanction it. Now, if you approached your employer and asked for one. . . if not, I would agree with the above. Name, profession (marine engineer/deck officer), and contact information. . .

These days, I carry two cards, one for my day job that they issue to me and another for my photography business. . .[/QUOTE]

I use to have cards and pass them out, both as a mariner and when I’ve had office jobs. I all use to send out Rolodex cards. I’ve wondered about having business cards again. In this smart phone era, I wonder if cars are too old fashioned.

No I do not work on a boat mate. Here because I am interested in this stuff. Ok and a little chatty :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=tugsailor;188307]I use to have cards and pass them out, both as a mariner and when I’ve had office jobs. I all use to send out Rolodex cards. I’ve wondered about having business cards again. [U][/U][B]In this smart phone era, I wonder if cars are too old fashioned[/B].[/QUOTE]

That’s why I carry them. Most people don’t, and especially my generation of mariners. People lose and break their smart phones and all their numbers are gone. Business cards again usually go in the business card place at the house/office/boat and then you know where it is. Theyre cheap and they cant hurt. Get a nice simple design on a good quality, thick card and pass them out.

I carry cards whenever I think I might be in a situation where there might be a possible employer present. And given when I am not sailing I work as a mason, landscaper, and welder for private homeowners, that’s pretty much everywhere.

I think handing out a card makes you more likely to be remembered. A good handshake at the start of a conversation and pass them a card at the end. It’s one more interaction where you have a chance to make an impression and be remembered for business.

Name, phone, email, and what you offer is all you need.