Sea Service Letter - Document number or Serial Number

Finally got one of these fancy MMC things instead of the normal old license. Just wondering what you have been putting on your sea service letter? The document number with the USA prefix or the serial number which is the same number as the document number but without the USA part? I know it might sound like a minor detail but we all know how they can be when it comes time to renew. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = “urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office” /><o:p></o:p>

I guess if you want to prevent abuse by stupid people use the serial number without the USA. If you use the NMC’s website for a document search and include “USA” the system is unable to locate the document. Do the search with just the serial number and it comes up (tested it using mine). Still isn’t going to help those people that do a search for a license using the serial number because that won’t be found either. Maybe include the mariner reference number? That way if they attempt to verify the document they can search using that and your last name and they don’t have to specify an MMC, License, MMD or STCW?

<<Sigh>> Figuring out how to dumb it down for the people that should know!

[QUOTE=sail2surf2004;50669]Finally got one of these fancy MMC things instead of the normal old license. Just wondering what you have been putting on your sea service letter? The document number with the USA prefix or the serial number which is the same number as the document number but without the USA part? I know it might sound like a minor detail but we all know how they can be when it comes time to renew. ffice:office" /><o:p></o>[/QUOTE]

I always use my Social Security number and then my document number without the USA and without all the zeroes. The NMC knows how many numbers is in the document number. It is not required to have all the zeroes to identify yourself.

I don’t think it really matters - I have discharges with the serial number, my mariner number, my Z-card number…and when I upgraded it was no problem at all.

I like to make sure my name is on mine;-) That and my SSAN is all that I’ve ever used on Sea Servuce Letters or Discharge Slips.

And of course, don’t forget to give them your credit card number.

We always use the reference number when signing articles.