BST refresher or revalidation question

How do I know which class is required to maintain and upgrade my license?

Go to The NMC website and search for course providers listings, and that will lead you in the correct direction for your situation. Good luck, and please keep us informed of your progress.

If you have 1 year of sea time in the last 5 you need the revalidation. If you don’t you need the refresher.

Thanks for that info. Now to try and locate a class that fits in with my schedule. There are more options for the refresher but I only need the revalidation.

If you have taken Basic Training (formerly “Basic Safety Training:” or BST) before, you can renew it with either a REFRESHER or REVALIDATION course. If you have one year of sea service in the pasty five, you can take a shorter REVALIDATION course that only covers the things that cannot reasonably and safely be done on a vessel (e.g. live fires). If you don’t have the one year of service in the past five years, you need a longer REFRESHER course that covers all of Basic Training.

The same distinction applies to Advanced Firefighting.

Proficiency in Survival Craft needs to be renewed also. If you have the one year of service in the past five and take the BT revalidation course, then you are also good for survival craft. If you don’t have the one year of service in the past five, you need a Proficiency in Survi9val Craft Refresher course.

James D. Cavo
U.S. Coast Guard
Mariner Credentialing Program
Policy Division (CG-MMC-2)

3 Likes

So the BT revalidation covers the PSC as well? That’s some good news at least. Thanks!

Yes. The things for PSC that can’t be done on a vessel are also covered in the BT revalidation.

James D. Cavo
U.S. Coast Guard

2 Likes

Thanks for the replies. I started working down the list of approved schools and found a revalidation class next week. Only have to drive eight hours to get there.

PSC (Proficiency in Survival Craft) is a completely different animal than BT (Basic Training). They are separate items. Completing a BT refresher/revalidation does not satisfy any PSC refresher requirement.

You need to provide sources if you are going to say exactly the opposite of what jdcavo just said.

1 Like

See paragraphs 3c and 3d here: http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/nvic/pdf/2014/nvic-04-14_psc_final_20140125.pdf#page=5

James D. Cavo
US Coast Guard

1 Like

And see NVIC 08-14 for Basic Training requirements. Different.

https://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/nvic/pdf/2014/nvic-08-14_bt_Final_with_encls_20131219.pdf

What does that NVIC have to do with revalidation requirements?

He may not be aware he’s arguing with the guy who helps write these policies. Let’s just sit back watch and learn.

2 Likes

I was waiting until he spewed more derp before mentioning that bit of information.

1 Like

Mr. Cavo is the most polite person I know that will pop the trunk on your ass and they don’t realize while it’s happening. Sometimes I have a mental image of him banging his head on his keyboard. Especially after he’s led them to the water and all but drowned them in it and they still won’t take a sip.

2 Likes

Standby for “derp”…I know and respect Mr. Cavo. I am not trying to disrespect him one iota. I just want to make sure folks don’t leave here with the wrong impression about revalidation requirements. Right now all you folks think that if you take a BT refresher/revalidation course that it will satisfy the refresher course for Personal Survival Craft (there is no PSC revalidation option). It will not. They are NOT the same. If you were to read the NVICs and specifically the part about continued competence, you will not see anything that says if you take the BT refresher or revalidation courses it will also cover PSC. What it does say, if you have at least one year of sea time within the previous 5 and you are up to date on BT, then you do not need to take a PSC refresher or complete course again. Likewise, you would not need a BT REFRESHER course but could satisfy the renewal requirement by taking a BT REVALIDATION course.

From the NVIC 04-14 (Personal Survival Craft): “The Coast Guard will accept currently valid STCW Basic Training and onboard training and experience, through evidence of 1 year (360 days) of sea service within the last 5 years, as meeting the requirements for continued professional competence.”

Also from 04-14: “As specified in 46 CFR 12.613(b)(4), mariners who cannot meet the requirement for 1 year of sea service within the last 5 years will be required to complete an approved or accepted PSC course or approved or accepted refresher training that includes assessment of all competencies for PSC.”

From the NVIC 08-14 (Basic Training): “If a mariner cannot provide evidence of 360 days of seagoing service within the past five years, he or she will need to complete a U. S. Coast Guard approved or accepted training course approved for revalidation of BT. This course must include assessment of all BT components.”

Refresher courses include everything that is in the original course including all assessments and an exam. Revalidation courses are shorter and includes specific assessments that are identified in the NVIC and CFR for those things that cannot be performed aboard ship. Again, there is no PSC revalidation option.

I do not see where it says that if you do not have the requisite sea service that you can satisfy BOTH BT and PSC refresher requirements by taking the one BT refresher or revalidation course. Perhaps I missed it and one of you “sea lawyers” can enlighten me and others by providing the relevant NVIC or CFR reference.

For some strange reason, the BT Revalidation courses are quite expensive. More than 60% of the entire 5 day BT course.

Which schools are currently offering the best price on this?

You realize that ‘refresher’ and ‘revalidation’ are two different things correct? If you have recency you only need revalidation, if you don’t you need a full refresher. Also, you answered your own question in the NVICs you quoted so I’m not sure what you’re so confused about.

Pay attention to what jdcavo said earlier in the thread before you felt the need to chime in.

CMTI is offering the 1 day revalidation course for 300$. The refresher 3 day class at another school I looked at was 850$.