BT (formerly BST) Revalidation Courses

My understanding is that a mariner with 360 days of sea service within the last three years is only required to take a one day (1 day only) “Revalidation” course to renew Basic Training (BT, or BST) for another five years.

Anyone have any experience and recommendations for schools offering this course?

Has anyone taken the MEBA online Revalidation course? If so, what was that like? Did they promptly schedule the exam, and provide the certificate?

[QUOTE=tugsailor;187625]My understanding is that a mariner with 360 days of sea service within the last three years is only required to take a one day (1 day only) “Revalidation” course to renew Basic Training (BT, or BST) for another five years.

Anyone have any experience and recommendations for schools offering this course?[/QUOTE]

NPFVOA in Seattle has a 3 day refresher. WMI in Ladysmith, BC and SSTL in Dartmouth, NS each have a 2 day refresher. As far as I can tell the one at BMC (North Vancouver, BC) is 5 days, which must be a mistake on the website.

[QUOTE=Emrobu;187629]NPFVOA in Seattle has a 3 day refresher. WMI in Ladysmith, BC and SSTL in Dartmouth, NS each have a 2 day refresher. As far as I can tell the one at BMC (North Vancouver, BC) is 5 days, which must be a mistake on the website.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, the USCG will not accept any foreign STCW courses. Canadian courses are also much more expensive.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;187625]My understanding is that a mariner with 360 days of sea service within the last three years is only required to take a one day (1 day only) “Revalidation” course to renew Basic Training (BT, or BST) for another five years.

Anyone have any experience and recommendations for schools offering this course?

Has anyone taken the MEBA online Revalidation course? If so, what was that like? Did they promptly schedule the exam, and provide the certificate?[/QUOTE]

If you can get your application for renewal in by January 1st you shouldn’t have to recertify until the next 5 years is up. That’s my plan

[QUOTE=DamnYankee;187642]If you can get your application for renewal in by January 1st you shouldn’t have to recertify until the next 5 years is up. That’s my plan[/QUOTE]

While that might technically satisfy the USCG, some HR dweeb might not understand that. I also wonder If Transport Canada would accept that when I go into Canada. I’d rather just take a one day course every five years and never have any question about it.

After hearing about guys getting into trouble in Canada because they had not had advanced firefighting in 20 years, I retook that four years ago ( had to take all five days). I’ll have to refresh that again next year (2 days, I think).

but you’ll have a brand new credential from the USCG saying your STCW, BST, firefighting is valid until 2021???

my plan, Even the USCG recommends doing so. Ill lose a year, but whatever.

Has anyone taken the MEBA online Revalidation course? If so, what was that like? Did they promptly schedule the exam, and provide the certificate?[/QUOTE]

My recommendation is to not take the course, you don’t need it yet.

The revalidation requirement applies the first time you renew after December 31, 2016. If your MMC is going to expire between now and the end of the year, renew early (before January 1, 2017) and you won’t need the revalidation course until the next renewal, possibly as late as 2021.

If you don’t have the one year in the last five, the REVALIDATION course won’t work. Both before and after January 1, 2017, this course won’t work for someone who doesn’t have the one year of service in the last five.

While I don’t have direct involvement in course approvals, I am very sure that the online course is not entirely on-line. The reason for revalidation courses is that some of the competencies for BT can’t be done in shipboard drills,e.g. putting out a renewal fire or anything in the water, you can’t do those on-line.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;187699]My recommendation is to not take the course, you don’t need it yet.

The revalidation requirement applies the first time you renew after December 31, 2016. If your MMC is going to expire between now and the end of the year, renew early (before January 1, 2017) and you won’t need the revalidation course until the next renewal, possibly as late as 2021.

If you don’t have the one year in the last five, the REVALIDATION course won’t work. Both before and after January 1, 2017, this course won’t work for someone who doesn’t have the one year of service in the last five.

While I don’t have direct involvement in course approvals, I am very sure that the online course is not entirely on-line. The reason for revalidation courses is that some of the competencies for BT can’t be done in shipboard drills,e.g. putting out a renewal fire or anything in the water, you can’t do those on-line.[/QUOTE]

Yes. BT Revalidation is apparently one day of class at a school.

I should have started an entirely new topic (and not have omitted the word radar) about the MEBA RADAR Revalidation online course.

MITAGS is showing it as a 2-day course.

[QUOTE=ShooterMcGavin;187758]MITAGS is showing it as a 2-day course.[/QUOTE]

8 hours (1 day) is the minimum the Coast Guard will approve. Schools may have longer courses if they wish.

At MITAGS they offer the 2 day course at night. 4 hours and 4 hours, usually thats to fit people who have other courses in the day.

My understanding was that there were 3 renewel courses. One for BST, one for Lifeboat, one for advanced fire fighting. Has that now changed and one course covers it all? Busy day if you’re putting out a fire, jumping in the pool, and working with a lifeboat.

I wouldn’t mind being wrong if they have a one or two day course that knocks it all out.

Allegedly there will be one day courses, “revalidaiton” for those we can’t safely do onboard a working vessel. But most schools will yes, try to do it in one day as jCavo says courses can be any length beyond 8 hourse depending on the course approval. I’m renewing this fall to buy a 5 year extension on my BT rather than wait another 9 months and have to take the course. I say its a pretty good deal for $20 or so.

Some excerpts…

For those mariners who have the required 1 year of sea time in the previous 5 years, some of the requirements for renewal of the BT endorsement cannot be performed safely onboard a vessel. Therefore, these components must be successfully demonstrated in Coast Guard approved [B]revalidation[/B] training ashore. Those mariners who cannot meet the requirement for 1 year of sea service within the last 5 years will be required to complete approved or accepted [B]refresher[/B] training, or apply for a new endorsement.

sea time=revalidation
no sea time=refresher

[B]If a mariner has at least 1 year of sea service in the past 5 years, and he or she also completes the revalidation course described in 46 CFR 11.302(d), he or she not need to take an advanced firefighting course.[/B]
(unless you renew it before the end of 2016)

https://www.uscg.mil/nmc/announcements/pdfs/010117_stcw_changes_notice.pdf

Too bad the USCG could not make that a little clearer.

Since PSC is part of BT, it appears that taking the 1 day BT Revalidation course satisfies both the BT and PSC training requirements.

The Adv. Fire appears to be a separate requirement. I see a few schools offering a two day (16 hour) combined BT and Adv. Fire course.

The schools are overpricing these courses. They are charging for one or two days, about 75% of the cost for the entire 5 day course. There is no reason these courses should cost over $200 per day.

I have had some success at sending schools a letter asking for their best competitive price for courses (not BT or Adv. Fire yet). Obviously, larger companies seeks bids. Most schools promptly offer about 10% off, some offer more. Some schools will match a lower price that is offered by other schools.

Now that most companies are not paying for mariner’s courses, there are very few new mariners taking courses, there are so many unemployed or underemployed not keeping up with courses,and there are so many schools offering course, the schools should be starting to get hungry, and prices should be dropping. Once a school is all set up to give course, it does not cost them much to run a course. It costs them nothing to fill empty seats in a course that is going to run anyway. Those extra seats are all profit. Its time for us to stop overpaying at the asking price for these courses.

1 Like

My First Aid CPR AED, HAZWOPER, OSHA, HUET and several other safety courses that some companies want us to have has expired, but I’ll be damned if I am going to renew any of those unless some company is paying for it. There is no end to the specific extra trainings that some of these companies expect us to have.

I haven’t renewed any of those ever, purely out of principle. Joe boss doesn’t care, so I don’t either.

You can still renew your firefighting by onboard drills/training before the end of the year.

[QUOTE=z-drive;187805]I haven’t renewed any of those ever, purely out of principle. Joe boss doesn’t care, so I don’t either.

You can still renew your firefighting by onboard drills/training before the end of the year.[/QUOTE]

How do you document renewal of fire fighting with onboard drills? Doesn’t jdcavo’s comment above say that Revalidation requires a live fire that can’t be done in an onboard drill?

[QUOTE=tugsailor;187812]How do you document renewal of fire fighting with onboard drills? Doesn’t jdcavo’s comment above say that Revalidation requires a live fire that can’t be done in an onboard drill?[/QUOTE]

There’s a grandfathering period. until januar 1 2017, you can renew without a live fire course if you meet the sea service requirements.

1. GRANDFATHERING AND TRANSITION PROVISIONS.
    a. Until December 31, 2016, mariners may apply for an original endorsement or
    [B]renew[/B] an existing endorsement by providing evidence of successfully completing
    approved training in Advanced Firefighting, or [B]by holding a national officer
    endorsement that required Advanced Firefighting training. [/B][46 CFR
    11.301(g)(3)].
    b. After December 31, 2016, mariners must provide evidence of maintaining the
    standards of competence in advanced firefighting as described in 46 CFR
    11.303(b).

see NVIC 09-14 https://www.uscg.mil/nmc/announcements/pdfs/nvic-09-14_adv_firefighting_final_20140125.pdf

[QUOTE=Jemplayer;187791]My understanding was that there were 3 renewal courses. One for BST, one for Lifeboat, one for advanced fire fighting. Has that now changed and one course covers it all? Busy day if you’re putting out a fire, jumping in the pool, and working with a lifeboat.

I wouldn’t mind being wrong if they have a one or two day course that knocks it all out.[/QUOTE]

There are two types of “renewal” courses. REVALIDATION courses are for those with one year of service in the previous five years, they only cover the things that cannot be safely or reasonably done in vessel drills. REFRESHER courses for those who don’t have one year of service in the previous five years, they are longer as they cover all competencies.

There is an overlap between the competencies that have to be done ashore for PSC and BT, so if you have the one year in five of sea time, you will only need the BT REVALIDATION course. But, if you don’t have that one year in the last five, you would need REFRESHER courses for both BT and for PSC.

Advanced Firefighting would be a separate course from BT and PSC.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;187801]Since PSC is part of BT, it appears that taking the 1 day BT Revalidation course satisfies both the BT and PSC training requirements…[/QUOTE]

Generally correct, but PSC isn’t part of BT, but there is an overlap on what has to be done ashore only.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;187812]How do you document renewal of fire fighting with onboard drills? Doesn’t jdcavo’s comment above say that Revalidation requires a live fire that can’t be done in an onboard drill?[/QUOTE]
I didn’t say you needed to document a live fire in a drill. I said you can’t do live fires in drills and have to go ashore for a revalidation course.
On board drills alone aren’t enough. You need one year of relevant sea time and a revalidation course. You document the course with a completion certificate, and the sea time in the usual manner. If the vessels you served on are uninspected and/or not required to hold regular drills, you might need additional documentation of the drills.