Bowditch which edition?

I read Bowditch cover to cover a few years ago but lost most of my reference books during Sandie on Staten Island. I have to get another copy of Bowditch. Which particular edition should I be looking for? Thanks Doug

If you are using it for licensing purposes, you need 1981 Vol. 2. If not, get the latest one possible.

[QUOTE=captaint76;150066]If you are using it for licensing purposes, you need 1981 Vol. 2. If not, get the latest one possible.[/QUOTE]

You may find it hard and/or expensive to get 1981 version. You don’t really need it for licensing prep. There is certainly an advantage to being familiar with ther book you’ll use in the exam so you can find what yiou need quickly, but the same tables are in other editions.

You can get the current edition free in pdf here: http://msi.nga.mil/NGAPortal/MSI.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=msi_portal_page_62&pubCode=0002

I bought a reprint on Amazon that has everything in the book on the same pages and with the same table numbers. It was a great help and I think it cost about $85±.

I’m a big fan of the 1802 Edition. See if you can get ahold of that.

Arent most licensing prep questions geared towards the 1981 version? That was my experience at least.

[QUOTE=acesouthcoast;150091]Arent most licensing prep questions geared towards the 1981 version? That was my experience at least.[/QUOTE]

Not really. Bowditch is used for the tables to do sailings and other problems. The tables are the same in all editions, they just may be in different places. You are probably thinking of the Nautical Almanac. The celestial problems use the 1981 Nautical Almanac. On those, which edition of the Nautical Almanac makes a difference, but not on Bowditch.

[QUOTE=LI_Domer;150081]I’m a big fan of the 1802 Edition. See if you can get ahold of that.[/QUOTE]

How about 1807? 1817? 1821? Close enough?

Absolutely, the older the better.

I had no problem buying the 1981 edition of Bowdich on Ebay. I forget what I paid, but it wasn’t much, maybe $25.

You say you lost your books at Staten Island, if you’re still in the nyc area try picking one up at the bookstore at SUNY Maritime. If you call them first they can give you a price.

Youre right. I had them mixed up. I know i used the nautical almanac and bowditch for azimuth amplitude questions but bowditch had formulas and tables for refraction and time zones and stuff like that which didnt pertain to a certain date.

Thanks for the info. If i can find the 81 edition at reasonable price I will buy it. If not I will pick up a newer one. Seeing I no longer work out of Staten Island the Sunny bookstore is not an option. I’m working out of Houston these days.

My plan is to learn flashing light this hitch and test when i get home in January. I will then have all my certificates to sit for the 1600 Mate NC. I will be getting Lapware and Captain Joe’s along with a few books at that time.

The newer versions of bowditch are junk. Look for the 1981 green cover because you need to be familiar with the format the formulas are in. You need to know where to find the formulas you use. The pub 119 is worthless in the exam, since you are not allowed the whole set.

You can get all testing books from MPT bookstore online. That’s where I and others have ordered theirs.

I recently was approved for and sat for 1600 ton NC mate. I dont have flashing light. I had a 200 ton mate NC with mate of towing before that. I took ARPA which isnt mandatory for upgrade, BRM, Adv. FF, and my basic safety training is current with sea time. So I’m not sure if you need flashing light.

[QUOTE=acesouthcoast;150143]I recently was approved for and sat for 1600 ton NC mate. I dont have flashing light. I had a 200 ton mate NC with mate of towing before that. I took ARPA which isnt mandatory for upgrade, BRM, Adv. FF, and my basic safety training is current with sea time. So I’m not sure if you need flashing light.[/QUOTE]

You may if you also want an STCW endorsement for OICNW. You don’t need it for the license alone, but it’s required under the new regs for OICNW. See 46 CFR 11.309(a)(4)(vi).

Just checked the CFR you shared. Im in a mates position aboard an ATB on near coastal voyages. Its a SOLAS vessel. I have an OICNW endorsement on my 200 ton master but not my 1600 ton mate. I guess i need flashing light and medical care provider to get the oicnw for the 1600.

[QUOTE=acesouthcoast;150149]Just checked the CFR you shared. Im in a mates position aboard an ATB on near coastal voyages. Its a SOLAS vessel. I have an OICNW endorsement on my 200 ton master but not my 1600 ton mate. I guess i need flashing light and medical care provider to get the oicnw for the 1600.[/QUOTE]
The CG used to administer the flashing light test at 6 WPM. Now you have to pay one of the mills for a 4 WPM course and test. That’s 20 characters a minute. At that speed you can write down the dits and dahs then come back to interpret. A rip-off.

I’m going to a pay per certificate school when I get home next hitch to test for flashing light. Right now I’m an AB UNL deckhand holding my 100 ton master 200 mate near coastal license. I also have my Tankerman PIC, STCW and Steersman endorsements. Kind of wish I got a license during my 25 years in the wheelhouse of a fishing boat.