Bowditch which edition?

Can you still get the OICNW assessments signed off onboard a vessel?

[QUOTE=tugnutts28;150156]Can you still get the OICNW assessments signed off onboard a vessel?[/QUOTE]

I certainly hope so. I have my packet of OICNW assessments just about done and they will be going in with my license application.

[QUOTE=acesouthcoast;150149]Just checked the CFR you shared. Im in a mates position aboard an ATB on near coastal voyages. Its a SOLAS vessel. I have an OICNW endorsement on my 200 ton master but not my 1600 ton mate. I guess i need flashing light and medical care provider to get the oicnw for the 1600.[/QUOTE]

You probably don’t, at least not until 2017. If tyou have one day of ythe sea time you use to get the endorsement from before March 24, 2014, you are grandfathered and can qualify by the old regulkations. But, if you are grandfathered and you don’t need avflashing light COURSEuntil 2017, you would need toat least complete a shipboard assessment for flashing light. All courses will count for this, but a course isn’t the only way. After December 31, 2016, everyone going for OICNW will need a course.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=tugnutts28;150156]Can you still get the OICNW assessments signed off onboard a vessel?[/QUOTE]

Yes if you are on a vessel that has the equipment to do it, and someone who is allowed to do the assessmnet who knows how to send flashing light at least 4 wpm.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;150161]You probably don’t, at least not until 2017. If tyou have one day of ythe sea time you use to get the endorsement from before March 24, 2014, you are grandfathered and can qualify by the old regulkations. But, if you are grandfathered and you don’t need avflashing light COURSEuntil 2017, you would need toat least complete a shipboard assessment for flashing light. All courses will count for this, but a course isn’t the only way. After December 31, 2016, everyone going for OICNW will need a course.

• Updated - - -

Yes if you are on a vessel that has the equipment to do it, and someone who is allowed to do the assessmnet who knows how to send flashing light at least 4 wpm.[/QUOTE]

Nobody knows how to do it.

Which begs the question, why in the fuck do we need it?

[QUOTE=acesouthcoast;150175]Which begs the question, why do we need it?[/QUOTE]

From STCW Code Table A-II/1:

… KNOWLEDGE, UNDERSTANDING
COMPETENCE…AND PROFICIENCY

Transmit and receive…Ability to use the International Code of Signals
information by visual
signalling…Ability to transmit and receive by Morse light, distress signal SOS… and visual singalling of single letter signals…

We are making an assumption for complying with this STCW requirement that if you can receive flashing light, you can also send it.

However, this competency could possibly be demonstrated in a different way than the exam the Coast Guard used to give when it was required for every original and upgrade of unlimited licenses, which is the same way schools are currently doing it. This STCW competency could possibly be demonstrated without 5 letter groups, and nothing in this says you have to receive a coded group by flashing light before looking it up in the Int’l Code of Signals.

As far as I know, no school has asked to modify their course to meet this new, lower standard.

[QUOTE=acesouthcoast;150175]Which begs the question, why in the fuck do we need it?[/QUOTE]

In case you have to warn other vessels in your convoy group about a u-boat sighting.

Wolfpacks!

[QUOTE=Ctony;150187]In case you have to warn other vessels in your convoy group about a u-boat sighting.[/QUOTE]
I was on a seismic vessel late '70s or early '80s with 3 miles of gear out. When a vessel would approach the gear and not acknowledge VHF calls, the letter “U” was flashed. “you’re standing into danger”. When the 2nd boat in 10 days tangled the gear (after ignoring the radio and wondering what the hell the flashing light and flare was about) the capt raged “the letter U don’t mean free beer”!