Flashing Lights test question

i am studying for flashing lights, on one of the study guides it says that YOU CAN NOT WRITE DOWN DITS (.) AND DASHES (-) ON SCRATCH PAPER during the test

this makes no since, can anybody who has taken flashing lights enlighten me

I think you can write down any damn thing you want to. I did. The study guide author might have the opinion that it isn’t the best way to do it, but if it works for you why not? Others may know for sure.
<input id=“gwProxy” type=“hidden”><!–Session data–><input onclick=“jsCall();” id=“jsProxy” type=“hidden”>

capt A (AKA “finger in eye guy”) is 100% correct: write down what you want. ignore that advice from a so-called “expert”.

[quote=Mr 100-ton;23576]i am studying for flashing lights, on one of the study guides it says that YOU CAN NOT WRITE DOWN DITS (.) AND DASHES (-) ON SCRATCH PAPER during the test

this makes no since, can anybody who has taken flashing lights enlighten me[/quote]

That is a more difficult method if you ask me, but whatever floats your boat.

[quote=Mr 100-ton;23576]i am studying for flashing lights, on one of the study guides it says that YOU CAN NOT WRITE DOWN DITS (.) AND DASHES (-) ON SCRATCH PAPER during the test

this makes no since, can anybody who has taken flashing lights enlighten me[/quote]

What software are you using to study?

It sounds as if you wish to write the information down as it comes in dots and dashes and then translate into letters. What you will probably find as you practice is that you will begin to have letter recognition as you go along and it will be easier to just write the letter down.

You’re right, it doesn’t make sense that you CAN’T do it the way you are talking about. But if those are the rules the examiner (school) you take it with plan on adhering to, you don’t have much proof to argue the contrary. You may simply have to play by their rules or find another place to take the exam.

Everyone in my class certainly wrote them down…

[U][I][B]Instructions: You may copy the code on your scratch paper and then transfer it to the test paper (DO NOT write down dits and dahs). You need only copy the groups on this sheet once. REMEMBER TO ORGANIZE YOUR WORK CAREFULLY AND NEATLY, so the examiner can read it for scoring. You need 70% to pass, Good Luck![/B][/I][/U]

Came from the MITAGS training CD

got 3 wrong on first attempt out of 75 writing them down and using a simple chart capt fran had posted

[QUOTE=anchorman;23588]That is a more difficult method if you ask me, but whatever floats your boat.[/QUOTE]

might be, but using this chart helped out very much, if a dot move to the left, if a dash move to the right

Don’t spend too much time studying. The REC’s don’t administer the test anymore. You will have to take a class and and present your certificate. I have yet to hear of anyone flunking out of their class and I’m sure you won’t be the 1st.

Instructions are one thing, rules are another. They don’t want you to write the dit and dahs down because then you’re not learning the code. No one fails flashing light, as anchorman says. One of these days (sooner rather than later) we won’t have to deal with this archaic stuff anymore. I wouldn’t even mind doing it just once, since Morse code is so handy at times. Doing it every time you upgrade is as ridiculous as doing the color blind test every time you renew. I hear that may be changing too, finally.

Bottom line, aside from cheating of course, is whatever gets you through the test and gets you the cert is what you should do.

nmc need to justify there job so the mariners pay the price with doing ridicules things,

i did not know you had to do the color blind test again, have never head of a case were someone went colorblind over night or with age

thanks for the info

[QUOTE=Mr 100-ton;23594][U][I][B]Instructions: You may copy the code on your scratch paper and then transfer it to the test paper (DO NOT write down dits and dahs). You need only copy the groups on this sheet once. REMEMBER TO ORGANIZE YOUR WORK CAREFULLY AND NEATLY, so the examiner can read it for scoring. You need 70% to pass, Good Luck![/B][/I][/U]

Came from the MITAGS training CD

got 3 wrong on first attempt out of 75 writing them down and using a simple chart capt fran had posted[/QUOTE]

Glad my chart helped. I got it from a friend and it was the only method that actually made sense to my feeble brain for memorizing the Morse code.

And the MITAGS instructions just mean that you can’t write the dits and dahs down [B]on the actual test paper[/B]. You can write whatever the heck you want on your scratch paper.

Good luck!
Fran

[QUOTE=dougpine;23599]…Doing it every time you upgrade is as ridiculous …[/QUOTE]

Only did FL for 3rd and Chief Mate. The certs were still good with a few days to go before the year was up for the upgrade to 2nd and Master. All part of the plan…

anchorman
I plan on doing the same thing. I will be testing for the mate osv and 1600 ton mate INLAND at the same time. when I complete 8 more classes I can upgrade to 3rd mate without testing I think. If I remember the policy letter you can upgrade to 3rd mate if holding a 500 ton or 1600 ton license without further testing or assessments. If this is true then the next time i have to do FL is when I do the crossover exam from 2nd mate to 1600 master.

Anchorman

One thing I can not find, do you know how long you have to hold your mate OSV 3000ITC license before you can get your 6000ITC endorsement on it??

also post some photos, want to se how the new camera and lens are working out

There are reasons you’ve been as successful as you are…

[quote=Mr 100-ton;23619]anchorman
I plan on doing the same thing. I will be testing for the mate osv and 1600 ton mate INLAND at the same time. when I complete 8 more classes I can upgrade to 3rd mate without testing I think. If I remember the policy letter you can upgrade to 3rd mate if holding a 500 ton or 1600 ton license without further testing or assessments. If this is true then the next time i have to do FL is when I do the crossover exam from 2nd mate to 1600 master.

Anchorman

One thing I can not find, do you know how long you have to hold your mate OSV 3000ITC license before you can get your 6000ITC endorsement on it??

also post some photos, want to se how the new camera and lens are working out[/quote]

I would advise not to take the classes for the 3rd, and just stick with the OSV route. When the new rules go into effect, that opens the door straight to Chief Mate, and whatever classes needed to shed the OSV restriction can be done at the Management Level, making the 3rd Mate classes redundant to a license you may never use…unless, you have aspirations out of the OSV sector at the operational level. ie…DPO on MODU

There are no sea time requirements, that I know of, that you must have preceding a Mate OSV to start the Large OSV assessments, but you will have to have a certain amount sea time on a vessel over 3,000 tons during the course of the program along with the assessments to get the endorsement. You should be able to start that immediately. You will have to test for the 3rd Mate by going the route you described. I would go Master OSV, Large OSV, Chief Mate, if it was up to me. The new rules will be in effect by then and will allow that. Smartest thing the CG has done to date.
That joke of a policy letter that allows you to go to 3rd Mate without further testing or assessment was based on the fact that you held a 1600ton “MATE” or 500ton “MATE” under the new system. Master license does not apply because you could have got that without meeting the OICNW requirements.

Mr 100-ton, in all seriousness, do yourself a favor and pretty much do everything anchorman suggests. I have not found him to be wrong yet, and I ask him a lot of questions. What he is suggesting is, go after the money first, worry about the window dressing later.
He was beating me about the ears with a whiffle ball bat just this morning about the same topic.

[B][quote=Diesel;23665]Mr 100-ton, in all seriousness, do yourself a favor and pretty much do everything anchorman suggests. quote][/B]

I do believe we have just witnessed male on male fellatio!!

GET THE POPCORN, THIS IS GONNA BE GOOD,

i am finished with the mate osv classes and only have several assessments to go till i am through, that is the first thing, will then make a decision on the 3rd mate later next year,