Flashing Lights - Again!

Hey guys and gals,

Looking for a free version to the flashing light program.
I have searched the web and this site and so far come
up with links that do not work.

It would be greatly apprciated If someone can point me
in the right direction.

Thanks in advance!

I have been using Super Aldis 3. I downloaded it 2 years ago and it works well. I recently went online and had trouble finding a free download that wasn’t attached to some software site that wanted to much info and stuff just to download it. I am sure others have some other recommendations. I have put off the flashing light for a while and now I’ve got to get that done before I test in 2.5 weeks or that’s the one thing that will hold up the USCG from printing my license.

for Internatinal Morse Code try http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=international+morse+code+lesson+1&sm=1

The entire set of lessons is there.

Hope it helps.

Sorry about that…

This is the flashing lights vid

Thanks for the help and prompt replies!

The youtube version is good and I also found the super aldis 3.

Again,
Many Thanks!!

If you have an ipad you can download several apps that pertain to flashing light and you can choose the speed at which the light flashes for free or maybe a buck or two.

1 Like

What exactly do you need to accomplish in order to meet the flashing light requirement for your license?

As I understand it, attending a class approved by the USCG meets the requirement, and though I have not attended the class, I have been told the performance that needs to be demonstrated is to write down dots and dashes as they are sent to you. Then, you pull out a book that tells what the dots an dashes mean. No need to memorize Morse code.

Is this correct?

[QUOTE=Flyer69;124774]What exactly do you need to accomplish in order to meet the flashing light requirement for your license?

As I understand it, attending a class approved by the USCG meets the requirement, and though I have not attended the class, I have been told the performance that needs to be demonstrated is to write down dots and dashes as they are sent to you. Then, you pull out a book that tells what the dots an dashes mean. No need to memorize Morse code.

Is this correct?[/QUOTE]

Not really. The “book” doesn’t tell you what the dots and dashes mean, i.e. the letters. It tells you what the group of letters means, but you have tio be able to identify what the letters are.

The test has two parts. The first is five groups of five letters. You have to identify the letters. The secoind is coded messages from the International Code of Signals (Pub 102, or for us old types, HO 102). You decipher the dots and dashes into letters, then look up the letters in the book.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;124780]Not really. The “book” doesn’t tell you what the dots and dashes mean, i.e. the letters. It tells you what the group of letters means, but you have tio be able to identify what the letters are.

The test has two parts. The first is five groups of five letters. You have to identify the letters. The secoind is coded messages from the International Code of Signals (Pub 102, or for us old types, HO 102). You decipher the dots and dashes into letters, then look up the letters in the book.[/QUOTE]

Exactly as JDCavo describes it. You have to get an 80%. The 5 letter groups are 75%, and the international code is 25%. Its not hard it just takes a little time to get your head and hand working so when you get a dot your hand doesn’t instinctively put down a dash. The last time I took it I had the morse code down so well I would just write the actual letters down as they came. Well I got off track and missed a couple in the plain code, and then did really bad with the international code because I couldn’t pick out the numbers like I could letters. Ended up with a 76% and I’ve just kept putting it off until now.

Learning Morse code is really easy. Best to start observing similar opposites, ie; a-n, b-v, d-u, e-t etc. If you have a flashlight that" flashes", bounce it off a wall to get the eyes used to dits and dahs. Make up sentences, or get from a book, and practice translating into Morse. Numbers have 5 flashes, just remember how many dits or dahs it started with. That’s how we learned it as signalmen in the Navy.BTW, sigs don’t exist anymore. It’s an obsolete rating.