Flashing Light

A couple of quick questions-
I have heard that they have lowered the requirement to 4 wmp - is that true?
I just dug out an old Houston Marine 3.5" floppy that had a perfect study program, but it doesn’t seem to work on the newer computers. Does anyone know of anything online that can be downloaded (something that uses the same format as the CG exam)?
Thanks in advance. TH

http://gcaptain.com/maritime/tools/files/USCG-Morse-Code-Study-Guide.zip

Also at Speroni.com They have a morse code program that is helpful in practicing, but it is sound only.

From what our instructor at the academy told us, cadets are allowed to test at 4wpm. Everyone else is suposedly 6 wpm. Also, the coast guard no longer administers a flashing light test, you have to actually attend an approved flashing light course and they give you the cert.

If your looking for a good program, check out Super Aldis. That is what we all used to practice!

http://home.no.net/fenja256/superaldis/

Someone beat me to it.

Everybody can test at 4 wpm. But you can’t take it at an REC, they no longer give the test, you have to take an approved course: http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/training/flash.pdf

Do I get credit for twice testing at 6wpm? 6-4=2, 2 twice=4, 4 equals a free pass on the next test!! Just pick a school, they should have the training devices you need and they will be the same thing you test with, so you’ll be familiar with the set-up.

Looking at the .zip gCaptain flashing light package, its the same exact setup we used in class. Are the courses required to test with the same material (ie. the same Morse Code strings)

if that is the case, the flashing light test just got easier. I still have some of the strings memorized… LOL

I didn’t mean the test would use the same code groups as the practice, (they don’t), I said device, i.e. if you practice at home on your PC looing at a 4 inch white spot representing the light and then go to the school to test and they are using a 1/8 inch red LED, it could be a problem - it would be for me.

At PMI the flashing light is projected onto a screen in a classroom. Huge, you can’t miss it.

Thanks for all of the info. I was planning on testing at MITAGS when I take the next class, but I think it is just a test deal, and I have to study ahead of time. I spent a few minutes on it and it seemed to come back pretty quick - not as rusty as I thought I was.

One program that’s floated around on board is the W5YI. It has audio and a flashing window. You can program groups or random.
I don’t know how the schools teach it now, but when I learned the code 45 years ago, we started out with E I S H 5 and T M O 0. I’ve helped several on board overcome their fear and loathing of the code and some were up to copying 6 WPM in short order. All passed 4 WPM when the time came.

T.H.
Houston Marine has an adapter to use with the floppy for new computers. If I recall the price is around $25.00. Their number is 800-947-7737.

If you have an iPhone there’s an app called “MorseIt” that has flashing light!

I just took the FL test two days ago. I need the download from Hawespiper and it showed a light that ran at about 4 wpm and it was big on screen. The test was a small yellow light and at a rate of 6wpm. They where nice and let me have a couple of dry runs befor I went at it. I did ok and passed but I wish I had practiced at a higher rate. It would have made things a little easier for me.:eek:

The STAR center gives you the answer book inside an AMO application package :slight_smile:

TH,
Houston Marine now has a the study material on DVD and a book to go with it for 395.00. You will be tested there and receive a certificate to bring to the CG. I suggest you get the material shipped to you and study and then plan to come in to test. Much easier!! You will be tested 4 wpm with a min. score of 70% passing.

[quote=ConsultantG;7730]TH,
Houston Marine now has a the study material on DVD and a book to go with it for 395.00. You will be tested there and receive a certificate to bring to the CG. I suggest you get the material shipped to you and study and then plan to come in to test. Much easier!! You will be tested 4 wpm with a min. score of 70% passing.[/quote]

ConsultantG - Welcome aboard! Would you mind giving us a bit of a rundown on your background, and expertise, as I see you lending a hand with some advice. It would be great to hear a bit more about you…:smiley:

Thanks, and nice to have you with us…

Houston Marine? You can purchase a disk from Hawsepipe for $44.95 and take the class at MPT in Fort Lauderdale for $195. A little more cost effective then Houston. South Florida vs New Orleans? Hard decision there!

$395?? $195?? What a rip-off. What if a guy is already copying 4wpm? He still has to pay the “training fee” to test??

I work at Houston Marine Training Services in Kenner, LA. I have been here a little over a year. I am a licensed consultant, so therefore, I handle a lot of mariner’s questions about licensing and upgrades. A friend of mine here told me about this website and I thought it was cool to respond to some of the questions. Its a learning experience…for all of us :slight_smile: