Flashing Light

To each your own. You are subject to a discount if you are a return student or work with a company that does lots of business. To the mariners here, they love the material. I was just giving a suggestion. That covers all the testing fees also.

You can no longer test at the CG, so you have to test somewhere. If you are just testing without Houston Marine material, the testing fees are 195.00. Thanks!

I’ve been accused of being a cynic on this board from time to time. This dosen’t cure my opticalrectitus.

This test can be taken at the AMO star center for all those who are members. Just set up the appointment with the deck department next time you are down for another class.

Also any of the maritime academies and other mariner centers. I did mine at SUNY in Feb for $100 because I didn’t want to fly to FL.

The new test is the same format, but now its 4 wpm instead of 6wpm. I do like the computer version better as it doesn’t have the flickering due to tape hiss the older style machines do.

BTW, here is the only (free) flashing light training program that I could find on the web. Most morse code programs are for sound, but this is for light.

http://shareme.com/download/super-aldis.html

JCA

It seems outrageous to me that you can no longer test at an REC. You are now forced to pay some school for the privilege of taking the flashing light test even if you can study on your own. Some of the schools are charging nearly $200 to administer a 30-minute exam!

The flashing light requirement should be eliminated, anyway, since it is wholly outdated. Can the USCG guarantee that every one of their vessels could reply to a flashing light message?

The STCW requirement is that you have to pass a flashing light exam once to get the OICNW license, but there is no ongoing retest requirement for future raises in grade. However, it seems the USCG requires you to pay a private shcool for the privilege of taking a flashing light test before each and every license upgrade at the unlimited tonnage level. They just keep piling it on!!

Hey, Houston Marine now sells the study material on DVD. If you would like to purchase the material, Please call 504-468-4445 It is my direct line. Thanks

I’m glad it’s over for me. I just turned in my Master app, and after doing the flashing light thing several times over, I find it as useless as most anything that I’ve had to do in my career.

Don’t buy anything for this stupid test. Get the workbook and the Super Aldis program that you can find on page one of this thread and study off that. Then find the cheapest accredited school near you and get the class. I just took the test 2 weeks ago and the way it’s set up is 4 wpm, and you can write dots and dashes to your hearts content. Also, it’s only 3 letter sets instead of 5 letter sets like it used to be. It really isn’t that hard and no sense spending any more money on this than absolutely necessary.

The key phase here is ‘Houston Marine now sells’!!! Why buy anything if you have to test at a school? You really don’t even have to know the code though it helps. All you have to do is read dashes and dots, write them down, open the book, translate to letters, look up the meaning and turn in the test. It’s that simple…

You can write down the dits and dahs so that you can take your time remembering the number/letter, but I don’t think its open book where you can look at the code. Can you?

Yes, you don’t have to learn the code but as I said it helps to do so…

LE Fletchers Community Colege in Houma La is Fairly reasonable
Res. instate $74.00-
Res. Out of State 127.00
http://www.ftcc.edu/assets/docs/Marine/marine.pdf

Todd - According to the “old” Deck Exam Guide from November 2007, it is NOT open book on the first part. You will receive Pub 102 to decode the 2nd part of the test. They may have changed that but I would not count on it being open book for both parts. Unfortunately, some schools will “help” you pass the test. Go figure…

Brian

According to the “old” Deck Exam Guide from November 2007, it is NOT open book on the first part. You will receive Pub 102 to decode the 2ND part of the test. They may have changed that but I would not count on it being open book for both parts. Unfortunately, some schools, like Houston Marine, will “help” you pass the test. “It’s that simple…”, I believe that statement says it all, pay your money, don’t learn a damn thing and get your certificate. Go figure…

Brian

Here’s another recommendation for MorseIt, it has the flashing light, an alphabet reference a tap input and an encoder/decoder. The tap input even offers a variety of input types.

Also, I came across this chart that has proven very useful in helping me pick up the alphabet.

Morse Code Chart

[quote=Capt Brian;16424]According to the “old” Deck Exam Guide from November 2007, it is NOT open book on the first part. You will receive Pub 102 to decode the 2ND part of the test. They may have changed that but I would not count on it being open book for both parts. Unfortunately, some schools, like Houston Marine, will “help” you pass the test. “It’s that simple…”, I believe that statement says it all, pay your money, don’t learn a damn thing and get your certificate. Go figure…

Brian[/quote]

When you turn in the first part of the test, all the instructor is looking at is that you read the dashes and dots correctly and wrote them down as dashes and dots. The second part is decoding what the dashes and dots mean as a phrase. example – .- .- look in chapter X page 17 for letters, then on page 115 to see MAA means-I request urgent medical advice. If you have memorized the code you can skip looking on page 17…

I’ve actually been trying the receiving exercises at http://www.seamanshiptutor.com/ and can’t believe how difficult it is to catch 2wpm worth of lights. I got their exercise one with all but one letter but exercise 2 is kicking my but. Is it always this hard to learn?

Is there a trick to learning flashing light faster???

If you pass flashing light for you 3rd mate exam, do you have to take another flashing light down the road?