[QUOTE=willysko;20672]Is there a trick to learning flashing light faster???[/QUOTE]
Let me tell you about my friend, T. MO. He’s got a little drinking problem. I went to his house and he was passed out in the front yard on a lawn chair, shirtless and getting fried by the sun, with an empty bottle of whiskey under him.
So I said, “Eish T.MO, Not Damn Booze! U.V!”
Now write down the following:
E . T - N -.
I … M – D -… U …-
S … O — B -… V …-
H …
See how I’ve grouped them by what they look like? You can do that with the other groups, too.
Yes! Unless you can upgrade before one year from the date of the certificate. Those certificates are only good for one year. So when you get your 2nd’s, when you get your Chief Mate and when you get your Master’s. Just so you know, it gets easier and as slow as it is right now, anchorman can probably pass it. Just don’t ask him to spell it.
Description (From the apps website)
FlashingLight is an application designed to help you learn International Morse Code and prepare for the United States Coast Guard flashing light exam. This app sets a new standard for learning Morse Code and flashing light, which is required for all USCG Master & Mates licenses greater than 200 tons (500Itc). Additionally FlashingLight is useful for the MCA oral exam where the Morse Code is used for maneuvering signals.
FlashingLight works by first teaching you International Morse Code, and then administering practice exams designed to prepare you for the official USCG tests.
Absolutely ridiculous that you have to pay for this over and over. I was a Signalman 1st class in the USN on an UNREP ship and could send/receive FL easily at 35+ words per minute, there were probably 25 guys in the 6th fleet that could run that fast, most of them chiefs. Do it all day every day for 6 or 8 years and the limit becomes the maximum vane speed, which you can cheat around by not opening or closing all the way.
I did challenge and reply to probably 60 ships during the Yugoslavia blockade and the 1st Gulf War, MSC, USNS, USCG and regular civilian, NOT ONE ever successfully answered correctly. In war time that is no joke. It usually ended up with a call on 16, begging “not to be blown up because of that stupid Flashing Light” I guess I’ll be shelling out cash for the upgrades, Grrrrr.
As far as I know there is no “easy” way to learn it. I leaned the same way generations of Navy Signalmen did, endless hours of horribly mind-numbing repetition. It is a bit like learning a language though, once you get it, it really “clicks” usually about the time you think you’ll never get it and are ready to give up. Learning the mirror image pairs can really speed up the process. Q:Y, A:N, etc.
I was a Senior Chief QM in the USCG, was the #1 grad in my USN advanced SM class in Norfolk and only got replies to challenges from USN ships which is embarassing for my service. I never answered back when we were under radio silence I let them sweat and let an officer do it for me.
I used to love flashing light and miss it. I still have to brush up when I upgrade or renew.
My experience with flashing light is that it is EASIER to do it FASTER. I know it’s counterintuitive but it’s true. When I did the HAM exams I asked for 12 (they can give it at any speed you want).
The trouble is, the CG exams can ONLY give it at 4 or 6 or whatever it is. It isn’t adjustable.
I learned the FL when I got a mate working for me who was a navy signalman. Outstanding training opportunity for me! But he also showed that it was way easier once you speed it up. Too bad the coast guard has taken the official position that favors for the training schools are more important than doing their work in this regard. I think all the schools give up the answer sheet in advance of the test. I have not seen one that didn’t. It’s just about your money now.
I personally think that an actual coastguardsman should be required to actually do the signalling for the exam. We’ll see how many of them can do it. It ain’t hard…
[QUOTE=fourdegreesc;64038]My experience with flashing light is that it is EASIER to do it FASTER. I know it’s counterintuitive but it’s true. When I did the HAM exams I asked for 12 (they can give it at any speed you want).
The trouble is, the CG exams can ONLY give it at 4 or 6 or whatever it is. It isn’t adjustable.
I learned the FL when I got a mate working for me who was a navy signalman. Outstanding training opportunity for me! But he also showed that it was way easier once you speed it up. Too bad the coast guard has taken the official position that favors for the training schools are more important than doing their work in this regard. I think all the schools give up the answer sheet in advance of the test. I have not seen one that didn’t. It’s just about your money now.
I personally think that an actual coastguardsman should be required to actually do the signalling for the exam. We’ll see how many of them can do it. It ain’t hard…
-dennis[/QUOTE]
Our school definitely does NOT give the answer sheet out ahead of time. Although since our answer sheet is only a bunch of blank lines I’m not sure what it would matter if we gave it out early or not.
[QUOTE=fourdegreesc;64038]My experience with flashing light is that it is EASIER to do it FASTER. I know it’s counterintuitive but it’s true. When I did the HAM exams I asked for 12 (they can give it at any speed you want).
The trouble is, the CG exams can ONLY give it at 4 or 6 or whatever it is. It isn’t adjustable.
I learned the FL when I got a mate working for me who was a navy signalman. Outstanding training opportunity for me! But he also showed that it was way easier once you speed it up. Too bad the coast guard has taken the official position that favors for the training schools are more important than doing their work in this regard. I think all the schools give up the answer sheet in advance of the test. I have not seen one that didn’t. It’s just about your money now.
I personally think that an actual coastguardsman should be required to actually do the signalling for the exam. We’ll see how many of them can do it. It ain’t hard…
-dennis[/QUOTE]
I am not sure where you attended your “Visual Communication” course, or which schools you have witnessed the distribution of the answer key, but I do know that it was not Fletcher Technical Community College.