Bouchard Closed

Bouchard Transportation is closed at night due to no more dispatchers they have all left and no wants to work their. The only people working in dispatch this week is his two sons, the Human Resources Manager and a new person they just hired last week thats it. The place is a disaster.

Hasn’t the place been like that for 2-3 generations??? I worked there for 3 years. The office was in constant turnover, but the equipment and they guys that worked the boats were top notch!!!

I remember being at a Party with my Father years ago that had most of the owners of the N.Y. Companies in attendance. My Brother was thinking about coming back to tugs from Deep Sea so my Father asked Morty and Bobby how long the average mate had been with them. His answer was about 2-3 weeks.

Back in the day, I did a lot of electrical repairs on all type of vessels in and around N.Y. Harbor. Bouchard stands out because of one statement that was made when I told Morty how much some spares that the CE wanted. He said give him whatever he wants because if he breaks down and does not have what he needs to get the boat running, he is Fired!

They have always had a bad rep for taking care of their people both sea going and shoreside.

Bouchard sucks.

They do suck but with Moran’s new contract having the offshore guys paying their own travel, Kirby with their tankerman controlled union and Vane Brothers dominating the Northeast, I would go back there if I had to go back to tugboats. Of course at my last physical my blood type went from A+ to Orange. :slight_smile:

I agree with mr. forkandblade,the equipment and especially the guys were top notch.we kept things running and lined morty’s pockets.all we wanted was a little respect and a days pay for a days work.its too bad.things didn’t have to be this way.i have no respect or sympathy for the arrogant fool.the worlds full of 'em but ive moved on.

[QUOTE=newman;117559]I agree with mr. forkandblade,the equipment and especially the guys were top notch.we kept things running and lined morty’s pockets.all we wanted was a little respect and a days pay for a days work.its too bad.things didn’t have to be this way.i have no respect or sympathy for the arrogant fool.the worlds full of 'em but ive moved on.[/QUOTE]

I was offered a VP job at Bouchard at a time when I really needed a job. I had a tough time explaining to my wife why I was going to turn it down, but I’ve never regretted that decision, even in the months of unemployment that followed.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;117612]I was offered a VP job at Bouchard at a time when I really needed a job. I had a tough time explaining to my wife why I was going to turn it down, but I’ve never regretted that decision, even in the months of unemployment that followed.[/QUOTE]

The sad part is this outfit could be the best place to work. Except for the obvious upper management dysfunction.

I was mate on the last 6140 horsepower wire tug in the fleet before she was sent for ATB conversion. I believe, with exception to the Invader class boats I ran some years ago, the finest tugboat I have ever run. Clean, good crew and for as big as she is, just a sweet handling boat.

I made it for a year before I was canned. Looking back, I have to view my termination with a bit of humor.

I suppose you could say no tugboat captain’s resume is complete until he has been fired by Bouchard.

[QUOTE=capnfab;117616]The sad part is this outfit could be the best place to work. Except for the obvious upper management dysfunction.

I was mate on the last 6140 horsepower wire tug in the fleet before she was sent for ATB conversion. I believe, with exception to the Invader class boats I ran some years ago, the finest tugboat I have ever run. Clean, good crew and for as big as she is, just a sweet handling boat.

I made it for a year before I was canned. Looking back, I have to view my termination with a bit of humor.

I suppose you could say no tugboat captain’s resume is complete until he has been fired by Bouchard.[/QUOTE]

So have they closed up operations, or are the tugs still working?

Are the tugs still working?

Kirby has a tankermen controlled union? Moran has an OS union. It’s awful. Reinauer signed a contract a day or two after Moran and it made us look pretty dumb.

If I remember correctly, I had to pay my own travel at Bouchard just like Moran. The only difference was our 50$ a day was separate on our check which made it a lot easier to write off while doing taxes. The equipment and people were awesome for the most part but getting a relief could be tricky to put it lightly. I had to walk off the boat twice just to go home.

[QUOTE=“acesouthcoast;117646”]

Kirby has a tankermen controlled union? Moran has an OS union. It’s awful. Reinauer signed a contract a day or two after Moran and it made us look pretty dumb.

If I remember correctly, I had to pay my own travel at Bouchard just like Moran. The only difference was our 50$ a day was separate on our check which made it a lot easier to write off while doing taxes. The equipment and people were awesome for the most part but getting a relief could be tricky to put it lightly. I had to walk off the boat twice just to go home.[/QUOTE]

What did Moran agree on with the new contract?

I’m not saying one union is better than the other, I don’t go around comparing dog turds either (which is their equivalent). I decided to stop letting the parasites tap off of my income and head south. Ironic how they boast about having the highest wages yet I left and got a >60% pay raise with a non-union company. One day NY Harbor will wake up and realize that demand for licensed and skilled (tongue in cheek) labor are their leverage, not Ron Tucker, Mike Riordan or Paulie Riora’s negotiating prowess! After Moran’s last contract, I don’t want to ever hear someone say Peter Keyes is for the men.

It’s a shit hole. Always been.