Bouchard Transportation

I just got my 100 ton master, 200 ton mate, AB Limited, lifeboatman, and a few other things on my license. I was given contact info for Bouchard, which I’ve never heard of before. I talked to the guy, he said he really needs ABs right now and wanted me to drop an application and send him my info.

Are they a good company to work for? Are there better companies with better pay/rotations? What about benefits?

I’m still learning about this side of the sea as opposed to being in the navy and I’m still confused about a lot of things.

“He that will not sail till all dangers are over must never put to sea”
-Thomas Fuller

Very good pay and nice big equipment. There is always room for advancement as they have high turnover due to tough management. They have good work/ runs. Some love it there…others not so much. If they will gove you a shot…go for it.

The guy you want to talk to is John Cirenza,crewing manager,(jcirenza@bouchardtransport.com),he is a good guy and fair 631-390-4900,I worked there and he always treated me great. They have nice tugs and there’s always room to work extra at times. They have northern fleet which works up in New York,Boston,philly,conn ,those areas, or in the south,Gulfof Mexico area. I preferred the North runs.You will have to gain more sea time and get abigger license to advance,TOAR all thatto get at least a Mate of Towing.He will want an application first so fill it out ,email it to him,and keep calling and emailing if you want a job,Agreasy wheel gets the grease,he has a lot of people calling for AB jobs so keep on him and you will get on.(and if you do get hired ,try and stay off the ELLEN up in New York,The Captain and his sidekick fat ass engineer are PRICKS

[QUOTE=edshannah;120747],try and stay off the ELLEN up in New York,The Captain and his sidekick fat ass engineer are PRICKS[/QUOTE]

Lmao!
There are a lot of those at Bouchard!
A freshly Documented/Licensed person holds very little value these days!
You really need to do a search here at gcaptain type in “Bouchard” for more info:

I personally like it here, I have been here for more then 25 years!
I have been fired a lot, more then I care to mention!

I also try to lay very low of Mr. Morton Bouchard lll’s & Mr. Robert Bouchard’s radar!

The benefits here could be a lot better it is approx.80/20 Medical
(you pay about $80 out of every $100 spent)= to much of your own money.!
please do NOT get sick & do NOT try start a family and rely upon our present (BHP) benefit health plan to take care of you, because it will NOT help much, if at all!

(I personally will not rely on the government or any insurance plan to pay for my offspring!)
medical issues and unplanned events, (injuries) however is different story and all too expensive to pay for on your own)

Tony

The benefits here could be a lot better it is approx.80/20 Medical
(you pay about $80 out of every $100 spent)= to much of your own money.!
please do NOT get sick & do NOT try start a family and rely upon our present (BHP) benefit health plan to take care of you, because it will NOT help much, if at al[/QUOTE]

With how their boats look and how big the fleet is one would think they’d have good benefits…?

Well the rumor has it that Mr. Bouchard has the same medical as all of the company,
and he sprained his wrist last month, and then he went to the doctor to have it checked,
and he used the (BFP) health card and he payed the full price of the hospital fee!
so stay tuned, because on October 1st he will allegedly be making changes to our medical benefits!

I will then edit this post if it is true or not!

Thank you guys! That’s a lot of good info y’all.

I’m engaged to an amazing woman and she has a daughter, so I’m gonna need a he’ll of a benefits package.

I spoke with Mr. Cirenza today, he got my application, twic, driver’s license and everything he asked for, I’m about to email him copies of my MMC now.

I’ve done searches for Bouchard on here and it just didn’t look that great… that’s why I asked. I want info right from the horse’s mouth, so to speak. Do they pay for travel? I live in Chesapeake, VA, just down the road from Norfolk and VA beach… my car is a POS and it might make the trip to New York one and a half times lol

Well like I said our health package is "not so great!
They pay $45.00 a day for travel and it is not separated from the paycheck,
so you need to budget/separate the travel money!

I lost count of the rednecks here at Bouchard that do not believe they received any travel money in their checks!
but as the saying goes, "“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

So if your Bouchard search did not deter you,
and if you sent in your application already,
and you read the post where I say our medical sucks, (ruined my credit rating waiting for BHP medical payments went 740 to 550!)

also I need to remind you again about what “edshannah” posted,

" try and stay off the ELLEN up in New York,The Captain and his sidekick fat ass engineer are PRICKS"

That post made me laugh ehee…

Good luck!

Tony

I am also going to be putting an application in soon. Bouchard Captain - do they have a training mate program?

[QUOTE=Smee;120874]I am also going to be putting an application in soon. Bouchard Captain - do they have a training mate program?[/QUOTE]

Yes they do,
but it is a waiting game of about two years or more!,
and there are ALOT people ahead of you,
one guy just started his mate training 3 months ago and has waited 5 years to get in!

Tony

yea like Tony said ,They do have a Mate training program and that also comes to head when Morty feels ilke having it Some of the customers want a 2nd mate on the tugs, and when Morty feels like ending it ,he just sits you at home while you wait for something to come up or you fill in as an AB,I hold a 1600,Master Of Towing with years of experience, but most of it was harbor assist so they put me on the deck do I could "learn"and then after about 6 months I could move up to training mate, Like I said John Cerinza always treated me good and he is a good guy but he is a Ring Knocker so if your an academy guy you will move faster,I watched plenty of em move right past me and when Morty went thru the Oh Shit Obama got reelected layoff phase, I was laid off while a cadet that was there way less time than I was ,moved from 2nd mate to AB to save his job,Tony seems to give some good advice here, Medical sucks.Good luck

and also just in case the other Captains on The Ellen read this I was referring to the Capt who s name can also be a womans ,rhymes with Macie and the engineer BLOB. looks like the guy from Jurassic Park,the other Capt Ken was ok.and engineer Omar who is way out there but works hard.

Thanks everyone, you’ve all been a great help!

However, I spoke with the recruiting guy from Hornbeck yesterday afternoon. He wants me to come to Louisiana on MONDAY to do paperwork for a job and a physical!! Already wrote me down for orientation on the 7th and has me on a boat.

It’s crazy how fast things go, I remember waiting 2 months after getting out of bout camp to class up, then another month to get my other classes, plus 2 more waiting for orders… my credentials were in the mail Monday, got them Wednesday, and now it’s Saturday, and I’m trying to find a good place to rent a car to drive down next week!

Congratulations to you!,
I hope all goes well for you.
Maybe you can put me on your medical plan, never hurts to try!

:smiley:

Tony

Finally… a successful Bouchard thread! A guy comes here, reads the info, still applies, wants a job and… Lo and behold he gets a WHOLE lot better job at a company that has a better health plan, and treats employees a whale of a lot better.

The only upside at Bouchard is their equipment is absolutely top notch. BUT… The last name says it all. If you have a shred of dignity, and can get hired ANYWHERE else, go. If you are desperate for a job, then Bouchard is good enough, until you get your bearings, and some experience to find a good berth. Because turnover is SO high, it is a great stepping stone for new entries.

They said at the captains meeting everyone is getting a raise but I was told by John we all find out the amount when we get paid on the 22nd. Last year deckhands only got $7 when everyone else got 30-50 so we will see

[QUOTE=edshannah;120891]and also just in case the other Captains on The Ellen read this I was referring to the Capt who s name can also be a womans ,rhymes with Macie and the engineer BLOB. looks like the guy from Jurassic Park,the other Capt Ken was ok.and engineer Omar who is way out there but works hard.[/QUOTE]

I wonder if Randy is still mate on the Ellen? Or was he promoted?

You will be much better in the gulf than up north with Bouchard. I just left there for ECO and so far I love it. They have their own training center and are building boats like crazy.

I know of three people that have left Bouchard for gulf companies in the past two months. Get out while you can guys.

I worked with Capt. Tracie on the Morton Jr. Thought he was a great guy. I guess it’s all a matter of opinion or perspective though.

[QUOTE=ForkandBlade;120937]I worked with Capt. Tracie on the Morton Jr. Thought he was a great guy. I guess it’s all a matter of opinion or perspective though.[/QUOTE]

I’ve known Tracy for thirty years or so I guess. We both worked for Curtis Bay, he in Norfolk and me in Baltimore. The Baltimore fleet would assist the Norfolk fleet when the tug Cape Hatteras, Cape Lookout or Cape Ann came up the Bay for Sparrows Point with the big coal barge Maryland. Think he was mate and then captain on all three at one time or another.