Boots

[QUOTE=brjones;167995]RedWing Pecos are my choice for working in the ER. I went with slip one because I get them on faster when I would get a duty alarm in he middle of the night. They last a while and are very comfortable. One of the few Redwings that are still made in America[/QUOTE]

I’ll have to take a look at those Pecos, but I got a feeling I may end up with these: http://www.weinbrennerusa.com/dspNavCategory.cfm?rootID=1&catID=143&prodid=611

Buy American!

I’m looking at Timberland pro ag boss pull on boots, square toe alloy toe. $225 at Amazon. Any comments or advice appreciated.

I wear steel toe Red Wing Pecos in the wheelhouse and for trips around the vessel. Have soft toe Pecos at home for work, as well as a third pair for dress.

I was told one time that a slip on is not good for my EEE feet, but that has never been a problem. They have always been comfortable.

Another vote for keens, but I go for the tennis shoe style. I’m over wearing hot heavy ass boots.

I’ve come across a few people who have been unhappy with redwings as of late (myself included)I had to use inserts for them to be comfortable. I have heard good things about wolverine, just bought a pair but haven’t tried them yet.

[QUOTE=cajaya;168041]I’ve come across a few people who have been unhappy with redwings as of late (myself included)I had to use inserts for them to be comfortable. I have heard good things about wolverine, just bought a pair but haven’t tried them yet.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I hear ya there…I vouch for red wings because of durability more so than comfort…If one is fortunate enough to have an employer buying a pair a year or giving some kind of allowance, I guess getting a pair that lasts two or three years isn’t that critical.

I cast another vote for Thorogood lace up steel toes. They dont slip even on wet painted decks.To combat the wear I polish them every month which I feel important to keep my uniform nice. Pros: They look like a classic moc toe, steel toe does not separate from the leather which in many boots makes for a clunking sound with every step. Made in the USA right here in my home state of Wisconsin! Very high quality leather!!! Come in extra wide size which for me is needed. Cons:Break in time sucks, It hurt like heck for 2 weeks and the soles were mediocre(replaced them). Now they are like a pair of sneakers but expect some time to get them that way.

I work year round from 90+ degrees fahrenheit in to the negative temps found in January, on Lake Superior. All I change is the thickness of my smartwool socks to compensate for the day. Good luck in your search.

-Cal
www.greatlakesmariner.com