ATBs

I’m currently waiting on my application to test for 3rd Unlimited (should sit around Sept). I’m trying to figure out what the best route would be to take after spending 5 long years with NOAA and 4 in the Coast Guard. I’d like to get some deep draft time, but I’ve heard if you don’t have the seniority, you’ll be standing watches in port as a relief Mate for some time. I’d like to get into the ATB world as it seems to pay relatively well and they have a much better schedule than the deep sea ships. Since I’m in the Puget Sound I’d apply to Crowley, but I haven’t heard much about their ATB fleet.

I suppose I’ll work on my resume once I get my MMC and start looking for jobs. OSV’s are looking good too, but I’m assuming they wouldn’t pay for travel to the Gulf. If anyone has any info on ATBs and how to get started as an apprentice Mate give me a shout.

Search “TOAR” and “apprentice mate” on this site and you’ll find loads of info.

The Crowley ATBs on the west coast crews are IBU and MMP in the wheelhouse. East coast ATBs are SIU top to bottom. The new 750 series are supposed to be AMO from what I hear.

The mates and AB/tankermen handle all loads and discharges. If you don’t have PIC and cargo experience, you may have to start as AB/utility.

You can also get a restricted Crowley ATB TOAR.

I suppose I’ll work on my resume once I get my MMC and start looking for jobs