Applying, failed state college 7 years ago

I attended a 4year university with a 21 on my act, like a stupid 18 year old I didn’t go to class and just gave up and failed every class thinking I’d never go back to college that I’d just work my way up in the world, I got onto the boats and now am a Tankerman for a inland barge company wanting to take the next step in my career, been really wanting to go to the maritime academy in Texas but worried if I’m wasting my time from screwing up so bad the first go around at my home state university, it’s been 7 years since I attended the college and never applied for anything else or even looked at my transcripts from that school, what should I do? Am I wasting my time applying for the maritime acadamey because of a stupid young mistake?

It won’t hurt to apply. Somewhere in the applicatiuon process you should have an opportunity to explain why your past academic history is not a reliable indicator of how you’ll perform now.

Bluto Blutarski graduated from Faber College with a 0.0 and look where he ended up?

Might I suggest you apply to KP?

[QUOTE=jdcavo;158975]It won’t hurt to apply. Somewhere in the applicatiuon process you should have an opportunity to explain why your past academic history is not a reliable indicator of how you’ll perform now.[/QUOTE]

^ What he said.

That said, ask yourself whether you still have the tolerance for the Mickey Mouse regiment or having to endure some snot nosed 20 year old virgin scream at you and call you worthless and weak.

Then there’s the $100k in college costs and 4 years of lost earnings.

Hawsepipe may be a better option.

There’s a lot to be said for age and maturity. Lots of 18 year olds bomb out for the same reason. I was one. I went back to college much later, and far more successfully.

The fact that you are employed in the industry and doing well now, says a lot about you and I’m sure that will be taken into consideration.

Hawsepiping is a pain in the arse and they are making it harder, so if you’re young enough for a crack at an academy, I’d say go for it.

If you have multiple years of successful employment since your first college experience you shouldn’t have too much to worry about.

You could take several of thr gen ed classes at your local community college. If you ace those classes it will help convince them you are serious. Plus, you can transfer those credits and not need to take them again. Most can be done online to ease scheduling problems, and will be cheaper.