Is it really that bad?

From what I’ve read it seems like many people hated their time here. Can anyone comment on what it is like- aren’t students in nyc and get to sail around the world, I don’t get why it seems to be a bad place

To where are you referring?

Academies really aren’t that bad, it’s just that we all like to talk about the negatives as a badge of honor that we made it through all the BS. I know that I didn’t appreciate all the positives when I was in school. It’s like we say about KP … It’s a bad place to be but a great place to be FROM.

SUNY Maritime

If ‘It’ was that bad, ‘It’ would be out of business by now. If you listen, almost anywhere in the world, a good portion of ANY industry has its’ share of bitchers and complainers. Again, It is up to YOU to decide where, what and how you do it. (And accept or change ‘it’ if it isn’t to your liking)

I meant what is the “bs” I’ve read about. Im from ca but I could get instate tuition at suny if I went into MMR, and I would probably enjoy cal maritime but I am really familiar with the bay area and not nyc. Im not sure I would want to go though if it has extreme abuse of underclassmen and no free time to see the city

There is no such thing as “extreme abuse” at any academy. Whatever regimental system is in place is 90% mental and easy enough to deal with if you keep it in mind. Speaking of KP it wasn’t harsh in the 90s and as near as I can tell it hasnt gotten any worse. Most of it was just keeping the barracks and your room clean and some marching that the upperclassmen dont have to. I would imagine the same applies to SUNY. You will definitely have plenty of time to see NYC, it just may not be till your sophomore year.

cal is called casual maritime academy for a reason.

I got out in 2008 and it wont bad at all. Yes, there’s BS like everywhere but its a great place to be from. NYM actually has a lot of respect out here and really your 4 years (or more if needed haha) there are all in what you make it. I met some great people there that I still talk to and see often. I won’t going a jig while going to school there, but I’m much better off right now as far as a job then most of my other friends. Just my 2 cent

[QUOTE=ryanwood86;59747]I got out in 2008 and it wont bad at all. Yes, there’s BS like everywhere but its a great place to be from. NYM actually has a lot of respect out here and really your 4 years (or more if needed haha) there are all in what you make it. I met some great people there that I still talk to and see often. I won’t going a jig while going to school there, but I’m much better off right now as far as a job then most of my other friends. Just my 2 cent[/QUOTE]

The fact that they wont make you learn to write english for 2 cent as far as a job goes makes jigging in school easy too.

I know that this is a fairly old thread, but if anyone looking to go to an academy stumbles upon this, it may help. I am a current student at New York Maritime college and i would like to say that I agree with the posts above. There are plenty of people here that love to complain about it, everything from morning formation to ship training. But if you are interested in working in the maritime industry, like I am, you will realize that most of the stuff that goes on here is good stuff. It took me almost my entire mug (freshman) year to become accustomed to this place but after that its nothing. I am a deckie and I enjoy learning everything about the ships, ahipping and the shipping industry that I can, and theres no reason (unless you dont want to be involved in the shipping industry) that anyone can not do the same. It is what you make of it, and it is the people that you associate with here at school. It just takes a little extra to see the good inside of the bad here and that is only compared to other “normal” schools with out regiment. compared to the coastguard academy and west point this place is nothing. Get past mug year and the majority of the annoying regimental stuff is gone, and you can focus on learning the cool stuff which is the maritime industry. It is not a bad place.

Just the way I feel about it. Let me know if anyone has questions about SUNY Maritime life, I dont mind sharing.