After transferred to SUNY Maritime

First of all, I do not want to be offensive but I found out that MUGs behavior are more even worst than community college students.
I transfer from four year college and I want to challenge myself.However…
I just do not know why…these kids are just so immature and so disrespectful when comparing to regular four year college students.

Sorry if I am being offensive…

The school accepts pretty much any one. Few high school students really know about the school or the industry at all. If it makes you feel better most don’t graduate. The 6 year graduation rate is around 33% meaning all the people who graduated on time, plus the ppl who are a year behind, plus anyone two years behind.

That’s why there are so many MUGs and so few upperclassman. And I figure it’s not that much different from community college. The big difference is all the restrictions. A lot of colleges have students that only stay for a semester or don’t graduate.

The cadets are more immature because of the school’s regiment system combined with the scarcity of females. It turns into a boy’s camp out. Since the young men have a limited avenue for social interaction with the civilian population, they act up in silly ways. We did it back in the old days as well. You may have done it too had you not first gone to college elsewhere. It’s bonds some guys together in positive ways, de-rails others, frustrates you…

There are people who will swear by the importance of the “quasi-military” aspect of the school. I’m not one of them.

1 Like

… Then leave?!

you can always Hawsepipe your way up like most of us on here…

Have you gone on cruise yet? Wait for that shit show when you’re crammed into 180 man berthing spaces together for 45 days…

Certainly isn’t your typical college experience, but MUG year will weed out most of the idiots. A few stubborn ones will slip through and get on the 5 or 6 year plan. Maybe 40% of my MUG class graduated with me; the highest attrition rate was between MUG and 3/c years.

The sea is selective, slow at recognition of effort and aptitude, but fast at sinking the unfit.