Looking at attending maritime academy

hey my names aaron this is my first time on gcaptain…Im in the navy as an engineer right now but should be getting out within the next year. I’d like to attend a maritime academy but im not sure which one is best for me and which one will most likely except me. Ive already done the whole military thing so a school that has the most relaxed style in that aspect would be ideal. Just from talking to MSC mates that I work with im told Cal maritime is most likely my best bet, but I know I dont meet all their requirements so im just hoping someone can give some guidance or advice on their experiences with any of the academies. Thanks!

What requirements do you not meet?

At Texas Maritime with prior military you can be in what they call “victor company”, and not really participate in much of the Corp type stuff. Basically you don’t have to live on campus, or have to do anything Corp related except for wearing the Uniform, and going to formation only 2 days a week. Thats it!

1 Like

SUNY has a similar deal for ex military. You do INDOC which is a joke compared to military boot camp. Then you wear the uniform and make one formation a week, you can live on or off campus.

SUNY has a good engineering program if that is what you are interested in.

A few of the credits listed under prereq’s on their website I dont have like 2 years of foreign language, performing arts etc. im sure they can wave some of it I just need to contact admissions, and I’m not sure if I want to continue on the engineering path im looking into the marine transportation side still in the air though. thanks for the help! anyone else with any thoughts feel free…

[QUOTE=chadisgreat;60389]A few of the credits listed under prereq’s on their website I dont have like 2 years of foreign language, performing arts etc. im sure they can wave some of it I just need to contact admissions, and I’m not sure if I want to continue on the engineering path im looking into the marine transportation side still in the air though. thanks for the help! anyone else with any thoughts feel free…[/QUOTE]

Are you talking about high school credits? If you graduated from high-school, you should be able to apply to the University?

Yes lol high school credits I’m going to call the admissions office in the next few days. I’ve never applied to any college so I don’t know how stringent the acceptance criteria is.

There is a reason CMA is called casual maritime academy. Older students can get most of the requirement waived. When I went I had been out of High school for 6 years. I didn’t need any requirements. I just had to take an English and math placement test the first week of orientation. That was in 98 so not sure if it is the same.

You might also look into Great Lakes Maritime. We are a very Casual Academy located in a very nice town.You live of campus in what ever you want, a farm house, a beach house or a cheap apartment. 8 cadets live on the ship for free every year( just a lot of maintenance to do, you have to be at least a 2nd year though) Some get housing payments from VA while doing this, $$ in the bank. We just have to wear uniforms to class no regiment or BS to deal with. Lots of scholarships available and 25-30% of the Cadets are prior Military with avergae age of 28( oldest cadet is 60), lots of Military guys with 20+ years come here for a second career. The VA in Traverse City is really easy to work with from what I hear around campus.

Might be worth looking into.

Nate

[QUOTE=chadisgreat;60373]hey my names aaron this is my first time on gcaptain…Im in the navy as an engineer right now but should be getting out within the next year. I’d like to attend a maritime academy but im not sure which one is best for me and which one will most likely except me. Ive already done the whole military thing so a school that has the most relaxed style in that aspect would be ideal. Just from talking to MSC mates that I work with im told Cal maritime is most likely my best bet, but I know I dont meet all their requirements so im just hoping someone can give some guidance or advice on their experiences with any of the academies. Thanks![/QUOTE]

Howdy Aaron, when you receive your honorable discharge ask for a copy of your military record (this is not the DD214), You will receive the DD214 upon discharge but you really need your complete record as you must document dates/time in the Engine Room, as well as the qualifications you acquired. Take your record to the nearest US Coast Guard Office of Marine Inspection (you can locate this office on line), present your credentials, say you would like to discuss your potentials in the US Merchant Marine. You may have enough time to sit for your original 3rd Asst. Eng License (you need 3 years sailing time), Now, here’s where it gets a tad complicated, how do you plan to prepare yourself to take the exam? There are many avenues open, I read all the replies on this thread, all have dam good recommendations. I recommend you investigate the SIU school at Piney Point (look them up on line). The SIU school has an accelerated program for former military personnel.
Good luck

Awesome thanks everyone for the wealth of information. Looks like I have some researching to do thanks again for the input!

Hi aaron
I would like to suggest best maritime academy ie. Varren Maritime Academy in Navi Mumbai. Varren Maritime Academy, popularly known as VMA, has been working diligently to provide the best to its students in terms of training, facilities, and infrastructure; giving them an opportunity to explore their potential and emerge into successful sailors that the academy can be proud of.