Anyone have any advice to writing an Appeal to SUNY?

Thought I was a shoe in.
I have 3.2 years of A/D in the coast guard.
3.0 from my previous college
Letter of recommendation from a LCDR and a senior oil spill adviser for the DOE.
Prior deckhand experience on the Mississippi River.

Short story:
SUNY decided that my GPA from my first 2 years in college back in 2002 when I didn’t have any direction in life was a game ender for me. Granted, I had a 1.9 GPA but I thought that the fact that when I went back to school in 2005 and was able to maintain a 3.0 and, in doing so, gained acceptance to the honor’s society would be enough to negate that… I was wrong.

Anyway, does anyone have any experience or advice for this situation?
Other than the obvious (given some previous threads in this here forum), that I dodged a bullet?

V/r
Me.

You should have applied to all the academies, not just SUNY.

I agree with Capt. Phoenix. You should’ve at least tried Texas A&M in Galveston.

Sent you a pm about this.

Get your Congressman to write a letter in your behalf. Or just reapply. My wife just finished a Masters in Nursing and she had to apply twice, with a 3.5.

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;114440]You should have applied to all the academies, not just SUNY.[/QUOTE]

Indeed, I should have applied to more than one college. Unfortunately, the allure of the BAH that comes with the GI bill and playing ice hockey in new york was too much and I gave into temptation,

Did u apply as a freshman or a transfer student? When did u apply??

I applied as a transfer student with over 36 credits. I applied at the end of May. I would have done it sooner but I am an acting member of the Federal Oversight for the Deepwater Horizon response and was not able to apply until very late in the year due obligations for the Coast Guard. Essentially, I didn’t know if I was even going to be able to apply for the Fall Semester up until the end of May.

Don’t waste your time. SUNY does not want you this year.

To reverse your rejection will require someone in Admission to admit they screwed up evaluating your you app. Ain’t going to happen.

Your options;

1. Apply to other Academys with rolling admissions. Maybe you can get in for January.

2. Call SUNY Admissions and politely ask why you were rejected and what you could do to make your app more desirable.

3. Hausepipe or re-enlist.

aye aye. This things says I need 10 characters to post. lame.

Wow I just applied as a transfer student from the navy about a month an a half ago and got accepted … Maybe you should try to apply again … Who knows second time could be a charm…

[QUOTE=drod2214;114461]Wow I just applied as a transfer student from the navy about a month an a half ago and got accepted … Maybe you should try to apply again … Who knows second time could be a charm…[/QUOTE]

Well maybe had you not applied I would have gotten in!!! No. I’m kidding. The past always has a way of coming back to get you and I wasted time in school when I first got there and now I’m paying for it 11 years later.

Lol possibly… Well don’t give up … Good luck

You waited too late to apply. Late May is pushing it at any college for Fall of that year. I’m new to the admissions process as well and quickly learned last spring.

Good luck!

I also would give some thought to hawsepiping it since you have spent quite a bit of time in the USCG. Just a thought.

I had every intention of Hawsepiping until I realized that I have a full ride via the GI bill that would otherwise go to waste.

It’s because you applied too late in the year. Either reapply for January or for next year. Your app sounds great but by may they usually have all the applicants selected and letters sent out. I got in with a 77 HS gpa, amazing SATs, and amazing extracurriculars. Those negated my shitty GPA. This was a few years ago but not too much has changed. Unless there’s something on your app that’s off that I’m missing you should be good. PM me if you want more help on this issue.

If hockey and cold weather appeal to you, try Maine or Mass Maritime. Transfers are always “different” so give it a shot. Always helps to have a letter from your current Deep Water Investigations go with application to give you more cred. SUNY admissions is crazy and loses stuff all the time, so get your DW letter and reapply. Sounds crazy to me, but that’s typical there.

UPDATE: SUNY never got my Military Transcripts and now they feel it’s too late to come into the FALL13 semester. I wish they would have called and told me that when I sent in my letter of appeal three months ago… Here’s hoping for spring.

Well now we know it wasn’t anything you were lacking. But this is strange. SUNY seems to always be losing transcripts. I know three people that are going and SUNY said they never received their transcripts either including my own. Even Jetryder had a problem with transcripts when he applied there if I do recall. Seems they have a problem with somebody in the office…

Good luck to you tasteless!

[QUOTE=Whiplasher;115751]Well now we know it wasn’t anything you were lacking. But this is strange. SUNY seems to always be losing transcripts. I know three people that are going and SUNY said they never received their transcripts either including my own. Even Jetryder had a problem with transcripts when he applied there if I do recall. Seems they have a problem with somebody in the office…

Good luck to you tasteless![/QUOTE]

Yep, SUNY admissions is totally disorganized. Lost my app check and some documents. Meanwhile, both MMA’s quickly said ‘welcome aboard’ so I said heck with the Bronx.

No regrets.