Getting into suny

Is it difficult to get accepted into SUNY if you don’t have a 3.0 GPS from highschool transcripts… In a veteran from the navy do you think I will have a good chance at getting accepted?

They will also want to see an ACT of around 22 and a SAT of 450 each for math & verbal.

With a HS GPA of 3.0. though, the abovr numbers should be doable.

Apply with an essay stating why you are passionalte about Maritime and you’re in.

[QUOTE=“drod2214;105903”]In a veteran from the navy[/QUOTE]

Case closed, you’re in.

The school (more the regiment) LOVES to take in ex-service members, and within your first few weeks, you will be handed a position of responsibility, and power. You will be in charge of cadets that have been there for a few years. They do it every year.

[QUOTE=“flyboy14295;105981”]
within your first few weeks, you will be handed a position of responsibility, and power. You will be in charge of cadets that have been there for a few years. They do it every year.[/QUOTE]

umm… huh?

I would wager a guess about a third of the people on here are Schuyler grads… that being said experiences differ greatly even among graduates in recent years. IMHO I would tell you interest and desire is a huge factor. attrition is still a factor they want people who are going to go the distance. My mug class was 320 something we graduated 87 or so. Go meet the professors talk to the regimental staff ; most are alumni most if they see your a good guy/girl would go to bat for you at admissions. If you PM me I will drop some names for you.

[QUOTE=ryanwood86;105999]umm… huh?[/QUOTE]

I’m sorry, that came out as poorly worded verbal diarrhea. In the recent year or two, and since the new regime has taken over, many of the prior military service members come through INDOC, and then immediately after, are upgraded to first class(Senior) rate positions in the reg. Some are Platoon Commanders, Company Commanders, and Battalion Commanders.

Don’t get me wrong, I have the utmost respect for members of the service, but to essentially shaft many cadets that have been at the college for 3 years, and are looking forward to the leadership positions of a first class, only to be pushed aside for someone that just completed INDOC and is new to the program, it’s just disheartening.

And for this reason, the Reg loves to accept prior service, no matter what your grades used to be, or your SAT/ACT scores. Just the fact that you are there, you know how to wear your uniform correctly, and have some real bars on your chest…they go nuts.

They no longer have day students?

Wow I didn’t realize me being vet from the navy would hold so much weight… Thanks for the info I’m deff gonna apply there for the fall of 2013 wish me luck…

Wow is right. You’ve got to love good old American upward mobility. Today he’s an enlisted man in the Navy, tomorrow he’ll be a “Battalion Commander” at the academy. Give 'em hell!

[QUOTE=flyboy14295;106032]I’m sorry, that came out as poorly worded verbal diarrhea. In the recent year or two, and since the new regime has taken over, many of the prior military service members come through INDOC, and then immediately after, are upgraded to first class(Senior) rate positions in the reg. Some are Platoon Commanders, Company Commanders, and Battalion Commanders.

Don’t get me wrong, I have the utmost respect for members of the service, but to essentially shaft many cadets that have been at the college for 3 years, and are looking forward to the leadership positions of a first class, only to be pushed aside for someone that just completed INDOC and is new to the program, it’s just disheartening.

And for this reason, the Reg loves to accept prior service, no matter what your grades used to be, or your SAT/ACT scores. Just the fact that you are there, you know how to wear your uniform correctly, and have some real bars on your chest…they go nuts.[/QUOTE]

I could care less about cadets being disappointed they are not getting strips but giving those stripes to freshman right out of indoc? WTF!!!

We GOTTA get this school out of the hands of military thugs… but how?

[QUOTE=“domer;106156”]

I could care less about cadets being disappointed they are not getting strips but giving those stripes to freshman right out of indoc? WTF!!!

We GOTTA get this school out of the hands of military thugs… but how?[/QUOTE]

Exactly my sentiment. I was purely stating it as fact, not my opinion.

Yea it’s kind of rediculous that they do that now a days. They used to give prior service an upgrade to Day-student or 3rd class. Now you can instantly be an RA after INDOC instead. It really does fuck up the people who’ve been waiting for Rate positions. Definitely not fair.

Do they pay the rates again? My 1st class year they stopped paying rates and people stopped applying. People were being voluntold they were now rates Lol.

Most of them get free room/board now, but they have to do more work for housing. Platoon Cdrs are also RAs now and have to do all that work.

Yes Day Students still exist and if you don’t hate yourself you’ll apply for it. Two formations a week which drops down to one after you’ve proven that you can shine your shoes, coming and going as you please, and you can live off campus if you choose to. It might not be a leadership position in the Regiment (I don’t think anyone gets paid for being a rate anymore), but you don’t need that on your resume thanks to your prior service. Trust me, you won’t regret it. And if you do, you can always drop into the regular Regiment after your first semester.

The staff uses the ex military as puppets.

Based on other threads I’m reading. why would you WANT to get in to SUNY?

Search the forums here for SUNY stories. If that doesn’t change your mind, go visit for at least five days, attend classes, go to parties, stay in the dorms, eat the food, talk to students, to see for yourself what its like. If you decide to go to SUNY, you made that choice, don’t come back on here and whine about the regiment, and the prison camp atmosphere.

To add some information on getting into SUNY I will say I had well below a 3.0 GPA when I applied to the school and around a 30 on the ACT and I got accepted. Honestly though you should have no trouble getting into the college. This year it seems they are low on their applicants, they keep sending me apply now emails after I have gotten accepted. I would do what I did and what tug suggested though. Visit the college and do overnights. That is what I did and helped me affirm my decision.

The best part in there was when you said “…go to parties…” haha lmao yea good one.