Another Anti-shot Covid Rant

Don’t forget if you have hypertension, have a BMI over 25, smoke, drink or any of a laundry list of underlying conditions.

I’m seriously glad that you weren’t impressed after you got it. My two healthy buddies that died weren’t as fortunate. My old man was fortunate that he managed to dodge going to the hospital (helps that his wife is a doctor…). Another buddy only spent a month in the hospital. Two other buddies got it, mild symptoms “No Big Deal” until one ended up in the hospital after his blood pressure went nuts (no issues prior), which led to my other buddy getting checked out only to find that his blood pressure was far higher than before his mild case.

I realize that a 99.5% survival rate sounds great. My old man spent three months in bed. We’re 18 months on and he’s still not fully recovered. That just doesn’t sound like a fun time to me. I mean, yeah, he’s part of the 99.5% but he felt like he’d been hit by a truck for well over a year. Better than dying, I suppose.

We’re all grownups here (I think) and I’m glad you had a good experience. I’ve literally been surrounded by bad experiences regarding COVID, so I think that’s going to give me a different perspective than the good experience that you’ve had.

3 Likes

The covid crisis is not over. We are just in a lull. There is more to come.

I expect another big surge in cases after holiday travel, Same as in previous years. Hopefully covid will continue to mutate into a milder disease.

While that’s very good point and all, the bottomline data a company looks at is exactly that, the bottom line. Pricipaled response, but you reference a very different dataset, flimsy or not, zero consideration to a business entity. No profit, no capital, no customers, no employees…it’s a simple logic test. There is not one mariner on this forum that works offshore based on principal. Companies don’t operate that way either. They generally operate in terms of their client base and ability to earn revenue. At 4 cents now, but I’ll just round up to a nickle and restate the obvious. Every employee and every company has a choice to make with specific interests.

I’ve had at least a half of dozen people quit because of a vaccine mandate. We hired them back a year later. The mandate changed when the client changed.

1 Like

Im sure sorry to hear that your family and friends suffered terribly. I can understand why you share different thoughts on the subject. And I wouldn’t mind for a moment that you took the jabs and wore the mask if that made you feel safer. I have no issue with anyone taking steps they think are appropriate for themselves.
I only kick back when others attempt to force their thinking on me or criticize me for my decisions.

Very fair point.

I’d say as humans we should do our best to change the bottom line so it benefits our society as a whole. A Long Now, from the very good book.

We might not succeed everytime, but it’s a worthwhile endeavor.

But you can’t let scientific, pier-reviewed studies by expert that have spent a life working and studying in the field get in the way of anecdotal facts of keyboard warriors

1 Like

A couple of weeks ago we had a meeting of our company’s officers, to discuss business and determine policy in 2023. Captains, chief engineers, mates, in a room to hash over operations. An annual thing.

We had a segment on covid. What would be our COVID policy in 2023? Our policy up to now has been very effective at keeping c19 off our voyages. In apx. 22,200 man-days of operation since 4/2020 we have had three shipboard cases. A grand total of 3 individuals who have had COVID at sea.

(The number who have had it on land, off contract, is about the same as you would expect for the general populace, adjusted for age).

But times change. Did our mariners care about c19 anymore? Many have had it, after all.

So the officers were given a chance to make an advisory vote on it. Blind ballots. No names. No peaking at what the other guy voted. No discussion between voters. Ballot box.

The officers could vote to do away with all COVID policy. Or they could amend the present policy, which consists of:
Testing 48 hours before sailing and again on sailing day.
Isolating positive cases aboard , or not sailing them at all, at the discretion of the captain.
Maintaining high vaccination levels in the Fleet, and mandating the newest bivalent vaccine.

The voting results were:

• 19 ballots received
  • 6 said to keep present protocols as-is.
  • 2 said to do away with all protocols.
  • 11 advised to change the present protocols as follows…
  • 7 said to do away with testing twice before sailing, and do only once (and two said to drop altogether)
  • 3 said to stop mandatory vaccinations.
  • 5 said to do away with not sailing infected persons.
  • 2 said to do away with the practice of isolating sick people aboard.

This was a blind ballot. The mariners here could have voted as they liked. No one knew their vote. Moreover it was only advisory. So there was no real pressure to vote one way or the other.

The captains, chief engineers, and mates chose to keep the company policy largely intact. They overwhelmingly voted to mandate vaccines. (We will do away with testing 48 hours before sailing and make adjustments to isolation aboard.)

So now what? Are the antivaxxers on this forum going to suggest that Management override the mariners’ own wishes and not mandate vaccines? Wouldn’t that be forcing them against their wills?

How many of the mariners on this forum have had an in-company vote on the subject? How do they know what the majority of mariners where they work want or don’t want?

How many mariners here have had a statistical analysis of their company’s policy, if it had any policy to begin with? So how do they know what works and what doesn’t to prevent COVID from spreading on a boat at sea?

State Surgeon General Dr. Joseph A. Ladapo Issues New mRNA COVID-19 Vaccine Guidance

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – Today, State Surgeon General Dr. Joseph A. Ladapo has announced new guidance regarding mRNA vaccines. The Florida Department of Health (Department) conducted an analysis through a self-controlled case series, which is a technique originally developed to evaluate vaccine safety.

This analysis found that there is an 84% increase in the relative incidence of cardiac-related death among males 18-39 years old within 28 days following mRNA vaccination. With a high level of global immunity to COVID-19, the benefit of vaccination is likely outweighed by this abnormally high risk of cardiac-related death among men in this age group. Non-mRNA vaccines were not found to have these increased risks.

As such, the State Surgeon General recommends against males aged 18 to 39 from receiving mRNA COVID-19 vaccines. Those with preexisting cardiac conditions, such as myocarditis and pericarditis, should take particular caution when making this decision.

“Studying the safety and efficacy of any medications, including vaccines, is an important component of public health,” said Surgeon General Dr. Joseph Ladapo. “Far less attention has been paid to safety and the concerns of many individuals have been dismissed – these are important findings that should be communicated to Floridians.”

The analysis can be found here. The guidance can be found here.

1 Like

What medical experiment? All normal clinical trials were conducted and finalized before the vaccines were approved, they weren’t “experimental”.

I don’t know what virus you’re talking about since COVID has roughly a 97% survival rate not 99.5%.

The non peer reviewed analysis that’s been widely debunked. Here’s an article about it’s flaws.

You are really bad at this whole statistics thing.

2 Likes

That’s hilarious coming from someone that clearly doesn’t know that a virus’s fatality rate is calculated by looking at what percentage of cases died not what percentage of the total population died.

You just keep digging that hole.

1 Like

Keep telling yourself that if it helps you feel better for being proven wrong all the time.

This Dr. Ladapo is a fringe DeSantis appointee whose statements don’t hold up under scrutiny since he was first appointed. But he was appointed to promote Desantis political agenda so I guess he’s doing a good job.
My personal feeling is the current Covid vaccine is the best we have to work with at present time and it has undoubtedly saved many lives. There is a another type Covid vaccine that is under development which may be closer to what people think of when they hear the word vaccine. Which is a vaccine like the smallpox, polio, measles, whooping cough vaccines most people have had for decades and are obviously effective. The whole mask wearing this was just silly to me as it just made sense once the disease was found to be primarily spread thru aerosols. People in other countries have been wearing masks for many years when they had a cough or a cold simply out of respect for their fellow citizens. I have no problem wearing a mask if it helps keep me from getting or spreading any disease while in confined spaces. The “freedom” argument about masks I found to be silly because people in free societies have to take more personal responsibility to protect their fellow citizens than those under autocratic rulers.

2 Likes

From CDC COVID Data Tracker: Total Cases and Deaths by Race/Ethnicity, Age, and Sex

Age Range Cases Deaths Death Rate Survival Rate
0-4 3,253,774 613 0.019% 99.981%
5-11 5,988,221 458 0.008% 99.992%
12-15 4,153,099 470 0.011% 99.989%
16-17 2,420,276 350 0.014% 99.986%
18-29 18,681,601 6,660 0.036% 99.964%
30-39 15,170,446 16,491 0.109% 99.891%
40-49 12,888,271 37,638 0.292% 99.708%
50-64 16,734,203 164,399 0.982% 99.018%
65-74 6,507,647 206,398 3.172% 96.828%
75-84 3,341,139 239,227 7.160% 92.840%
85+ 1,625,057 246,682 15.180% 84.820%
Totals: 90,763,734 919,386 1.013% 98.987%
98,174,364 1,073,115 1.093% 98.907%
18-64 63,474,521 225,188 0.355% 99.645%

I can’t explain the two sets of totals at the bottom of the data set. The bottom line are the numbers shown at the top of CDC’s page, the upper set of totals is what you get when you add up all the age groups…anyway, the death rate looks to be 1.0-1.1%.

I think it’s instructive however to look at the rate for the working age population (18-64). That data (last line) shows a death rate of 0.36%.

Also, a significant unknown is how many asymptomatic or other cases where the person did not get tested are not accounted for in this data? None of us has any way of knowing that number, but whatever the number is, it would push the death rate even lower. Speaking of that, I am curious how you can be so certain that:

How do you know you didn’t have an asymptomatic case?

2 Likes

Looks like COVID vaccines don’t work. Even though .gov promised us these super vax were over 90% effective at everything because AMAZING. But you don’t gotta take my word for it…nor do I expect you to attack me for posting this link…and any updates on the “totally natural” deaths of 20-35yr old healthy males?

1 Like

The problem is that that’s current data, now that the vaccines are out and 75% of the population has had at least the primary series of vaccines. Since the vaccines work very well at stopping people from dying that’s going to seriously skew the case fatality rate.

Ummm …ok… So how do you propose we calculate that number? You already said:

But when the data didn’t match your reported 3% death rate, you change your tune… So what’s your method then? Specifically, where

Did this originate?

1 Like