An announcement from my company of a new vessel acquisition

way back in late January this year my company, Vessel Resources, was declared the high bidder of the ex Navy YP-697 presently at the Naval Undersea Warfare Center in Keyport, WA. Two days ago my End Use Certificate application was approved and I am now officially the winner of the vessel. Within the next two weeks I intend to take delivery of it and move her to a suitable dock were I can begin the refit process. I plan to rename the ship DAUNTLESS (PT-73 being taken) and market her as a small research vessel here in Puget Sound.

My other two vessels are both being advertised to be sold and I plan to put all resources I have into this newer and larger craft. Wish me luck…I’ll need it!

and yes, I will need to hire a crew for the vessel when the work comes so I will finally become another boss, however I will treat them well and with respect so they will not need to be organized so please save your snark. Thanks…

[QUOTE=c.captain;180823]way back in late January this year my company, Vessel Resources, was declared the high bidder of the ex Navy YP-697 presently at the Naval Undersea Warfare Center in Keyport, WA. Two days ago my End Use Certificate application was approved and I am now officially the winner of the vessel. Within the next two weeks I intend to take delivery of it and move her to a suitable dock were I can begin the refit process. I plan to rename the ship DAUNTLESS (PT-73 being taken) and market her as a small research vessel here in Puget Sound.

My other two vessels are both being advertised to be sold and I plan to put all resources I have into this newer and larger craft. Wish me luck…I’ll need it!

and yes, I will need to hire a crew for the vessel when the work comes so I will finally become another boss, however I will treat them well and with respect so they will not need to be organized so please save your snark. Thanks…[/QUOTE]

Not going to flag it out?

Congrats c.capt. Do you still have you ex-NOAA boat?

[QUOTE=Bayrunner;180832]Congrats c.capt. Do you still have you ex-NOAA boat?[/QUOTE]

yeah, but she is for sale now. My contract ended with NMFS so she is surplus to my needs

you interested? I’ll give you a gCaptain discount of .005%

Awesome! Congrats

yes, the YP is a wonderful little ship and in great condition! For once the Navee saw fit to not strip her of parts or cut wiring and piping. Mechanically she is 100% intact and while the machinery on her has not been run in some years I do not expect any great difficulty in getting her underway shortly after taking possession. The Navee is making me tow her from the dock however and not going to let me get her started where she lies.

here is a GA and profile

I couldn't afford the fuel to get it to San Diego let alone through the canal and up to VA.   

What does the YP have for power? I have always thought a YP would make a good yacht for one interested in function rather than how much it shines.

Congratulations on your new adventure. Are you going for the Jeaux Boss, Joe Boss or Joe Leader roll? Lol

[QUOTE=Bayrunner;180838]What does the YP have for power?[/QUOTE]

US Navy Data: Yard Patrol Class - YP

[B]General Characteristics, YP 676 class[/B]
Builder: Peterson Builders (YP 676 through 701) Marinette Marine (YP 683 through 700) Differences between the YP 676 class and the YP 696 class are only minor configuration changes.
Propulsion: 12V-71N Detroit diesel engines, 2 propellers, horsepower rating 437 shaft horsepower @ 2,100 RPM.
Length: Overall: 108 feet (32.9 meters); Waterline Length: 102 feet (31.1 meters).
Beam: 24 feet (7.3 meters).
Draft: 8 feet (1.9 meters).
Speed: 12 knots (19.6 km/hr).
Range: 1800 nautical miles (3300 km).
Crew: : Officers: 2 Enlisted: 4; Safe Capacity: 50 people.
Ships:
(YP 676, 681-692), United States Naval Academy, Annapolis, MD (USNA)
(YP 694), United States Naval Academy, Annapolis, MD (USNA)
(YP 695), United States Naval Academy, Annapolis, MD (USNA)
(YP 697), Naval Undersea Warfare Center Division, Keyport, WA
(YP 700), United States Naval Academy, Annapolis, MD (USNA)
(YP 701), Naval Undersea Warfare Center Division, Keyport, WA

Also see:
GSA Auction Listing (Previous sale - not consummated, but photos are accurate of present condition)

[B]YP-697-Training Patrol Craft[/B]
Builder: Marinette Marine
Year: 1987
Overall Length: 108 Feet
Waterline Length: 102 feet
Extreme Beam: 24 feet
Waterline Beam: 21 feet
Maximum Navigational Draft: 8 feet
Light Displacement: 172 tons
Full Displacement: 172 tons
Current Displacement: 66 tons
Hull Material: Wood Hull, Aluminum Superstructure
Number of Propelllers: 2
Propulsion Type: Two-12V-71 Detroit Diesel Engines

Ah, the beauty of Detroit Diesel is the availability of parts on eBay. Congrats

just so everyone knows in PineappleOranges’ post that the link to the GSA auction was for a previous sale of the vessel that did not get comsummated. It was a reauctioning of the same vessel that I won in January for quite a bit less than last year’s aborted sale. I will say that the photos in the link are of the YP-697 and quite accurate to her present condition.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Bayrunner;180838]I have always thought a YP would make a good yacht for one interested in function rather than how much it shines.[/QUOTE]

I am seriously thinking of marketing her as a conversion candidate for an Alaskan expedition style yacht. I’ll sell the YP quite reasonably if my company get’s the contract to do the work

adventure is putting it mildly…this is by far my biggest acquisition yet and not one a person makes without a little anxiety. Buying it is the easy part…it will be all the bills that come afterward that has me not a little bit scared to death but so it goes. Nothing risked, nothing gained as they say

Are you going for the Jeaux Boss, Joe Boss or Joe Leader roll? Lol

always Joe Leader and never Joe Boss

The newest WoodenBoat mag (#249) has a good article on YP’s

[QUOTE=tradsailor;180864]The newest WoodenBoat mag (#249) has a good article on YP’s[/QUOTE]

no kidding…really?

[QUOTE=c.captain;180823]I will treat them well and with respect so they will not need to be organized[/QUOTE]

Isn’t that what they all say?

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;180892]Isn’t that what they all say?[/QUOTE]

yeah, they certainly do…don’t they?

Congratulations, c.captain. I hope that all of your plans work out for you.

Please post pictures of her when you get her in your possession.

many thanks…I too am hopeful for the plans I have. One is a contract with NOAA for deploying and recovering current meters here in Puget Sound. I am a bidder and waiting for an announcement of who wins that work. If it does come to my company, then I will have to scramble like I never have before to make the vessel ready. Here is my conceptual profile:

Please post pictures of her when you get her in your possession.

already have a few posted on Flickr here

most the the interior shots are shit because I was forced to use my phone that doesn’t have a flash. there are also a few towards the end that are of another YP.

Looks like she is in pretty good shape. I did notice that it looks like you have a couple of grounds to look for, those little grounds can be a mother to find.

Just like a deck guy to show up without the right gear for the job. I don’t give a shit about pics of a rusty windlass or watertight door. Dammit man where are the pics of the engines and machinery space?