The r/v DAUNTLESS underway today

yes it has happened, the day finally arrived when I could no longer avoid the inevitable…the yard where DAUNTLESS has been moored for the past month and a half requested it be moved to another dock of theirs sometime during the day. I had no desire to incur another towing bill so knowing that I had all controls ready, instead of the big seatrial planned for her first underway under her own propulsion since 2011, it was instead just a quick test of steering and engine controls then tossing off the lines as if she were just another boat on any day in any place. No hoopla or fanfare…just go with no burps, hiccups or vomiting. Everything went very smoothly and 20minutes after letting go the lines, the vessel was back alongside at a new berth.

So while I know this has been a six month odyssey to reach, it does seem somewhat anticlimactic although I am relieved to know a major milestone was achieved albeit quite suddenly. I really had expected there to be much more planning and preparation involved in making this happen.

sorry but no photos Fraq…I was steering and my deckhand had lines to handle rather than compose a photo documentary of the voyage

I do wish to extend many thanks to all my shipmates here for all your fraternal support in reaching this day.

Can you post the JSEA and Risk Analysis you used for this momentous occasion?
:smiley:

Good work! Now go make money.

Congrats - I hope you get some discounted moorage rates. How does Ballard handle above 50’ in regards to rates? Is your new berth on one of the F and G docks?

Congrats. Nothing wrong with mini sea trials conducted without hoopla. Possibly saves the embarrassment of something going south 20 miles offshore and facing the indignity of returning at the end of a tow line trailing deflated balloons and dispirited plank owners.

[QUOTE=Steamer;191413]Good work! Now go make money.[/QUOTE]

Seconded!!

Has the oil slick, and Blue / Black smoke cleared the area yet?

[QUOTE=Steamer;191413]Good work! Now go make money.[/QUOTE]

not there yet but quite a bit closer now.

do have one discovery and that is that I am losing jacketwater on my stbd engine. Pretty sure it is the grid cooler cartridge in the heat exchanger.

I had noticed water going down in the tank each time I have worked to flush out the engine and yesterday it did the same so know there is no question that there is a hole in there somewhere.

[QUOTE=DeepSeaDiver;191421]Has the oil slick, and Blue / Black smoke cleared the area yet?[/QUOTE]

yup, said it before…you are a little microturd with a nasty smell

now, didn’t posting your photo this morning cause you to miss your schoolbus? think, that if you study hard and not pick fights with the other kids, you might graduate to first grade even!

what a miserable little SHIT!

[QUOTE=DeepSeaDiver;191421]Has the oil slick, and Blue / Black smoke cleared the area yet?
[/QUOTE]

You need to learn the proper terms, its not an oil slick its a “light sheen” and the smoke is called “economy haze”. Both will dissipate quickly.

[QUOTE=Kennebec Captain;191425]You need to learn the proper terms, its not an oil slick its a “light sheen” and the smoke is called “economy haze”. Both will dissipate quickly.[/QUOTE]

Just rattling his cage a little. I am truly happy for him.

[QUOTE=DeepSeaDiver;191426]Just rattling his cage a little. I am truly happy for him.[/QUOTE]

this is the only rattle you are qualified to wield KID!

just try not to mess yourself too much…nobody likes a baby’s stinky diapers

If there are no daylight and witnesses does an oil slick even exist?

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;191433]If there are no daylight and witnesses does an oil slick even exist?[/QUOTE]

and unto mankind God created Joy soap and there was much rejoicing

You sir are an amateur, everyone knows Dawn soap is the go to product.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;191436]You sir are an amateur, everyone knows Dawn soap is the go to product.[/QUOTE]

I always thought the Joy/Dawn difference was an East Coast / West coast thing.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;191436]You sir are an amateur, everyone knows Dawn soap is the go to product.[/QUOTE]

if you’re a duck maybe

You guys don’t use Palmolive?!

Congrats C-Captain,

Love to see folks step out on their own. That’s what drives this country.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;191433]If there are no daylight and witnesses does an oil slick even exist?[/QUOTE]

I obtained the picture from my personal certified Google search engine. This is NOT from the Dauntless.