The r/v DAUNTLESS's engines are finally running!

after months of delays in fixing the mess with the gearbox coolers, I finally was able to light off both mains on the DAUNTLESS today. each started easily and ran quietly (for Detroits). flushed alot of mousse out of the expansion tanks but more to still get out before I can add coolant

the one perplexing item is there was an amount to black lube oil in the catch pan beneath the port engine after running it for 45minutes and the previously full sump is now low so I am losing oil out of the engine from somewhere. I restarted it to see if I could pinpoint that leak but no luck today. back down tomorrow

Don’t be perplexed it’s a Detroit this is perfectly normal. Collect it and pour it through a rag back into the engine you’ll be alright.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;189539]Don’t be perplexed it’s a Detroit this is perfectly normal. Collect it and pour it through a rag back into the engine you’ll be alright.[/QUOTE]

actually I was thinking that the lube oil had to be coming out of the batteries but it was a loose bolt at the bottom of the filter base…all tight now and leak free.

soon will be fresh coolant and hooking up the shift linkages to the gearboxes…then underway for sea trials!

any deckhand types in Seattle (or nearby) like to go for a boatride? I’ll buy the beer!

[QUOTE=c.captain;189581]actually I was thinking that the lube oil had to be coming out of the batteries but it was a loose bolt at the bottom of the filter base…all tight now and leak free.

soon will be fresh coolant and hooking up the shift linkages to the gearboxes…then underway for sea trials!

[B][I]any deckhand types in Seattle (or nearby) like to go for a boatride?[/I][/B]

.[/QUOTE]

Does NC count? Sign me up!

Im not much of a deckie, but if you as far as Tsawwassen…

[QUOTE=c.captain;189581]actually I was thinking that the lube oil had to be coming out of the batteries …[/QUOTE]

Could be … what does DeepSeaDiver have to say about it? You need one of his checklists if you are going to operate that boat safely. Are your smokestack gaskets in good shape? What’s in your wallet?

Since they are Detroits, it will never be leak free. Just slower leaks. Keep the 40wt handy…

[QUOTE=Steamer;189599]Could be … what does DeepSeaDiver have to say about it? You need one of his checklists if you are going to operate that boat safely. Are your smokestack gaskets in good shape? What’s in your wallet?[/QUOTE]

checklists? we don’t use no stinking checklists nor have none of that ISM mumbo jumbo gobbledygook neither!

ah, for the wonderful glory of being under tonnage

So I’ve been reading DeepSeaDiver’s bio and trying to figure this guy out.

-Unlimited Master

-35 years Offshore experience and really good at getting in and out of zodiacs(whatever the fuck that means)

• went to SUNY

-has company policy forbidding him/her from divulging company name

-last ship was Chembulk New York a foreign built, foreign flagged, foreign owned ship which according to the companies site employs a Russian master with an officer compliment consisting of Latvians, Burmese, Ukrainians and Russians
and unlicensed crew of Filipino and Latvians

http://chembulktankers.com/wp-conten...q88newyork.php

Does SUNY Maritime offer a foreign exchange student program?

As if it wasn’t obvious already something isn’t adding up with this guy.

Is he a spy? Could he be working with the Pharoah?

He has said himself that he doesn’t work on a boat.

[QUOTE=DeepSeaDiver;188311]No I do not work on a boat mate. Here because I am interested in this stuff. Ok and a little chatty :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;189615]As if it wasn’t obvious already something isn’t adding up with this guy. [/QUOTE]

Just another teenage pretender or wannabe internet guru by the look of it. His last few posts should have shamed him into going away.

His English typing suggests foreigner. Perhaps he is stateside attending one of SUNY’s Master degree programs.

Happy you were able to find the leak c.captain, you have a big project going on there. Looking forward to hearing the day that you are underway, I am sure its just around the corner. Great work sir. Thanks for keeping us updated.

Why lie and make a fake profile? I still say he is one of pharaohs minions.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;189621]Why lie and make a fake profile? I still say he is one of pharaohs minions.[/QUOTE]

Speaking as someone who has been on the internet since before it was the internet, moderated newsgroups and forums, and help chase down pests like the zumabot, this guy could be anything from a precocious nine year old to a trained intelligence officer.

Cheers,

Earl

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;189615]

-35 years Offshore experience and really good at getting in and out of zodiacs(whatever the fuck that means)

• went to SUNY

-has company policy forbidding him/her from divulging company name

Is he a spy? Could he be working with the Pharoah?[/QUOTE]

This person works for Greenpeace, or wants us to think he/she does. That’s my read.

I think it’s far more insidious than even Green Peace. This man is an agent of that Phat, Pharcical, Philandering, Phelonious, Philistine, Phool Paul Watson. Dammit I should have recognized the stench of tofu and patchouli.

Heeeey now. Tofu doesn’t stink. Tastes like seal blubber.

[QUOTE=DeepSeaDiver;189622][/QUOTE]

Welcome to the forum. Thank you so much for the great post mate. You’re a good mate, mate.

Have you checked the object before you try to lift it?
• Test every load before you lift by pushing the object lightly with your hands or feet to see how easily it moves. This tells you about how heavy it is.
• Remember, a small size does not always mean a light load.
Is the load you want to lift packed correctly?
• Make sure the weight is balanced and packed so it won’t move around.
• Loose pieces inside a box can cause accidents if the box becomes unbalanced.
Is it easy to grip this load?
• Be sure you have a tight grip on the object before you lift it.
• Handles applied to the object may help you lift it safely.
Is it easy to reach this load?
• To avoid hurting your back, use a ladder when you’re lifting something over your head.
• Get as close as you can to the load. Slide the load towards you if you can.
• Don’t arch your back–avoid reaching out for an object.
• Do the work with your legs and your arms–not your back.
What’s the best way to pick up an object?
• Use slow and smooth movements. Hurried, jerky movements can strain the muscles in your back.
• Keep your body facing the object while you lift it. Twisting while lifting can hurt your back.
• Keep the load close to your body. Having to reach out to lift and carry an object may hurt your back.
• “Lifting with your legs” should be done only when you can straddle the load. To lift with your legs, bend your knees, not your back, to pick up the load. Keep your back straight.
• Try to carry the load in the space between your shoulder and your waist. This puts less strain on your back muscles.
How can I avoid back injuries?
• Warm up. Stretch your legs and your back before lifting anything.
• Pace yourself. Take many small breaks between lifts if you are lifting a number of things.
• Don’t overdo it–don’t try to lift something too heavy for you. If you have to strain to carry the load, it’s too heavy.
• Make sure you have enough room to lift safely. Clear a space around the object before lifting it.
• Look around before you lift, and look around as you carry. Make sure you can see where you are walking. Know where you are going to put down the load.
• Avoid walking on slippery, uneven surfaces while carrying something.
• Don’t rely on a back belt to protect you. It hasn’t been proven that back belts can protect you from back injury.
• Get help before you try to lift a heavy load. Use a dolly or a forklift if you can.
• If using a forklift, make sure you check the oil, the tire pressure and the batteries.
• Don’t forget the batteries
• Wear steel toed boots and all safety gear.

As a fellow Unlimited Master Bullshitter, I wish you good luck mate, you’re doing fantastic, make sure to let us know how it all works out. Send pictures of everything and keep up the great work. You’re a good mate. You are fabulous. Everything will be wonderful. Don’t forget to write, mate.