Admitted to smoking pot on MMC app

So I did a really dumb thing and admitted to prior marijuana use on my MMC application. I was denied and told I had to provide letters of recommendation and proof that I have been successfully rehabilitated. How exactly should I proceed when reapplying? Do I need to go to a drug program?

Dooooooooood. . . . . .

3 Likes

I reckon you got yourself in a little pickle. Go to rehab for starters I suppose.

Call Holly Chetta. Search google and these forums for her contact info.

2 Likes

You’re not completely disqualified from getting or renewing an MMC. Buy=t you are going to need to provide more information and will get heightened scrutiny. See 46 CFR 10.211(f) and (l). You are going to need to provide additional information, including all of the following that are applicable to your case:

(1) Proof of completion of an accredited alcohol or drug abuse rehabilitation program;
(2) Active membership in a rehabilitation or counseling group, such as Alcoholics Anonymous or Narcotics Anonymous;
(3) Character references from persons who can attest to the applicant’s sobriety, reliability, and suitability for employment in the merchant marine including parole or probation officers;
(4) Steady employment; and
(5) Successful completion of all conditions of parole or probation.

No. 5 may not apply, nos. 1 to 4 probably do.

1 Like

Thanks for the help!

A written statement testifying to the fact that you “experimented with marijuana a time or two and didn’t like it and didn’t inhale” should be more than sufficient

1 Like

I hope for the op’s sake that it works with the CG. For Slick Willie, the “I didn’t inhale” defense was received with the same level of derision as his claims of “I did not have sexual relations with that woman.”

1 Like

Perhaps it should be, but it isn’t. See my post above.

I was that dumb when I joined the Navy in the 70’s. Thank God it was the tail end of the Zumwalt era and all I had to do was get a waiver, which my recruiter applied for.

1 Like