500 ton ITC equivalent?

Is a 500 ton license supposed to have an itc equivalent listed? I have a 1600/3000 master ocean and a 500 ton master ocean aux sail. When I asked if the 500 was supposed to have an equivalent the evaluator said something to the effect of “oh, we don’t do that”. But my old 500 ton mate license was cross licensed to itc (500 gt itc) and I am seeing uscg references to a 500/1200 license, so again, I am wondering why my 500 does not have a corresponding itc tonnage.

Yes, you can simply (!) request the endorsement, and cite USCG Policy Letter 07-00.

http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/marpers/pag/7-00.pdf

The evaluator I talked to initially said no until the Policy Letter was referenced. Then the endorsement came very fast.

07-00 only gives a trade restricted endorsement for OSV’s.
I dont know of any aux. sail OSV’s out there.

This is copied from a post last year which is related to this subject. I don’t know if anything has changed.

http://gcaptain.com/forum/professional-mariner-forum/5163-itc-equivalent-500-grt-oceans-license.html. I went through this a while back (April 2005). There is no international equivalent to the US 500 GRT. The only tonnages the IMO-STCW recognizes is 500, 3000 and over 3000 (unlimited). They crossover to GRTs of 200, 1600, and unlimited. If you are on anything other than an OSV in domestic waters or on ANYTHING in international waters with an ITC tonnage, your license is only good for 500 ITC. I even begged them to just give me a 1000 ITC without the OSV and he said NO! All OSV endorsements are for domestic waters only.

[QUOTE=Capt. Schmitt;53639]Is a 500 ton license supposed to have an itc equivalent listed? I have a 1600/3000 master ocean and a 500 ton master ocean aux sail. When I asked if the 500 was supposed to have an equivalent the evaluator said something to the effect of “oh, we don’t do that”. But my old 500 ton mate license was cross licensed to itc (500 gt itc) and I am seeing uscg references to a 500/1200 license, so again, I am wondering why my 500 does not have a corresponding itc tonnage.[/QUOTE]

The only “equivalencies” we recognize for mariner credntialing are 1,600 GRT = 3,000 GT, and 200 GRT = 500 GT.

[QUOTE=water;53667]Yes, you can simply (!) request the endorsement, and cite USCG Policy Letter 07-00.

http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/marpers/pag/7-00.pdf

The evaluator I talked to initially said no until the Policy Letter was referenced. Then the endorsement came very fast.[/QUOTE]

That’s not an equivalency. It’s a policy that if you hold a non-trade restricted endorsement of one tonnage, you will qualify for a trade-restrcted endorsement (OSV). The basis of the 500 GRT limtation in that policy for the trade-restricted endorsement is not that we consider that tonnage equivalent, it’s because at that time, OSVs were limited by statute to not more than 500 GRT.

But since the 500 grt is superior to the 200 grt shouldn’t it also come with a 500 gt itc endorsement at least?

Capt. Schmitt,

Your 500 grt is superior to the 200 grt/500 gt ticket, you would receive a 3000 gt itc endorsement limited to OSV if you requested it.

James

I also have a 1600/3000 master ocean, the 500 ton is just my master of sail…