1600 mate courses

What are the required courses for an 1600 mate license,

http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/checklists/MLD-FM-REC-118_Mate_500-1600_NC.pdf

STCW – (II/1, A-II/1, Policy Letter 01-02)
A. OICNW Required Approved Courses
B. OICNW-1-1A through OICNW-5-1C Assessments

are they the same as the third mate courses???

Short answer: Yep

Long answer: 500 ton Mate to 3rd Mate all have to take the same OICNW courses.
Go to this policy letter (and all the enclosures and changes) to see what you need to take:
http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/marpers/pag/1-02.pdf

You can also go to one of the schools that I am familiar with (Pacific Maritime Institute, but there are quite a few more out there) and they list everything you need to take: www.mates.org

This thread scares me to death as a young hawsepipe mariner post 2002!! Will I ever be able to escape the world of small tonnage vessels, and move into the world of licensed engineers and more stringent STCW requirements? Can pass, afford, and/or find time to take all the required OICNW courses?

[QUOTE=curtgetz;15491]This thread scares me to death as a young hawsepipe mariner post 2002!! Will I ever be able to escape the world of small tonnage vessels, and move into the world of [U][B]licensed engineers[/B][/U] and more stringent STCW requirements? Can pass, afford, and/or find time to take all the required OICNW courses?[/QUOTE]

Curt, are you on deck or an engineer? If you are a deckie, the path is pretty clear cut. To get out of the less than 500 tons arena, you gotta take the classes. (By the way, if you are a young hawsepiper, as you say, I’d recommend getting in with a company that will pay for your training, i.e., MSC, and just suck up any consequent lack of pay or crappy working conditions. Get those courses paid for, do your time, and then move on out.)

But, if you are an engineer (which is a little bit implied in your post), you should get going on your engineering license now, before the OICEW STCW regs get translated into our system by the USCG.

Mr. 100 Ton - I’m in the same boat, er, situation as you, working with a 100 T, and looking to move up to a 500 T Master. I made an appointment at a REC, and knew more about the requirements that the person I met with.

Finally popped for the book [U]The New Hawsepipe[/U], which should have be at home when I get off after this hitch. It has been highly recommended by others here, as well as a friend in the business who knows the author.

Hopefully I will be able to sort through the maze and possibly test out of some of the requirements. I’ve knocked off three of the longer classes so far.

Good luck to you!

There is a little known (or taken advantage of) loophole in the regs right now.

If you go straight to 500 ton Master (i.e. skip the mate license), you do NOT have to take the OICNW courses. Ultimately, you would if you wanted to get a 3rd Mate, but conceivably you could get to 1600 Master without needing OICNW courses or assessments.

Like I said, loophole.

Capt. Fran,

No I’m a 100 ton master/200 ton mate, 30 years old. What scares me is having guys work as " engineer" that don’t even have a Z-card.

I’m just now meeting the requirements for a 500 or 1600 ton master.

[QUOTE=curtgetz;15580]Capt. Fran,

No I’m a 100 ton master/200 ton mate, 30 years old. What scares me is having guys work as " engineer" that don’t even have a Z-card.

I’m just now meeting the requirements for a 500 or 1600 ton master.[/QUOTE]

Ah, yes, that makes sense and scares me, too. And good for you for going for 500 or 1600 Master. Danzante brought up a good point about the OICNW loophole.
Good luck to you!

h im i new here fiured some one has had this dillema
i have a 1600 inland mate and am starting my oincw for 1600 mate n/c not doing celest right now
my q. is all the assments i can get done in most of the classes im enroled at mpt in ft lauderdale except 2
oincw assment 1-5f (azimuth by sun ) and 1-5g azimuth by any body at night need to get these signed off
ann help would be great thx

capt fran
do you know if pmi can sign off on oincw 1-5f and 1-5g they are compass assments on these to practicals one is azimuth by sun and the other is azmith by any body im going for upgrade from 1600 mate inland to a n/c cant seem to find scool that does these 2 assments or are they onboard practicals only ??? thx