Oincw

At sea school finishing out my requirements for my 1600 ton upgrade…this instructor insists that I must have all OINCW courses and all 1600 ton guys have until 2012 to take them. I told him he is full of it as I was told by NMC that the OINCW for master didnt kick in until 2012…he proceeded to berate me about it.
I know mate 500/1600 have to have OINCW and the loophole for masters is closing quickly. I guess I would like varification of my interpretation of the scenario.
Thanks

Sounds like you are going for Master 1600. It was my experience that you just need to have the evaluation sheets signed off at the 500 T level, which is the same as for 1600 T, and the classes are not required.

I would agree with your interpretation.

Yep, loophole is still open for 500 and 1600 ton Masters. 500, 1600 & 3rd Mates (NC and Oceans), however, have to take all the OICNW courses and complete all the assessments prior to being allowed to sit for the license.

Capt. Fran is exactly right. That guy is retarded, must be trying to sell you some classes.

[QUOTE=Diesel;47315]Capt. Fran is exactly right. That guy is retarded, must be trying to sell you some classes.[/QUOTE]

I would agree with you except that Sea School doesn’t offer all of the required OICNW classes to begin with. While I won’t dispute whether or not the guy is retarded it may be a simple matter of their classes don’t go above a 200 Ton Master so he is probably not well versed on the requirements for a 500 Ton or above.

[QUOTE=Diesel;47315]Capt. Fran is exactly right. That guy is retarded, must be trying to sell you some classes.[/QUOTE]
http://gcaptain.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=47315

One thing I know about Capt Fran, if she says it,she can back it up …

Yeah…I even downloaded the checklist from nmc.gov for 1600 master and 1600 mate which clearly show oincw on the mate checklist and none required on the masters checklist. Showed him the difference and he still didnt conceed.

try an appeal, My understanding is that they are going to be changing the requirements for MASTER soon, maybe by 2012, I think it took steve foster 4 appeals till he was able to get what he wanted, might want to contact him for advice

[QUOTE=rigdvr;47329]Yeah…I even downloaded the checklist from nmc.gov for 1600 master and 1600 mate which clearly show oincw on the mate checklist and none required on the masters checklist. Showed him the difference and he still didnt conceed.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like he needs an invitation to gcaptain so he can get caught up on things…

Hoping he doesnt read gcaptain as who this is would be very obvious…

Appeal what? This is a sea school instructir, not someone at nmc

my bad, thought he was talking about NMc

[QUOTE=rigdvr;47336]Hoping he doesnt read gcaptain as who this is would be very obvious…

Appeal what? This is a sea school instructir, not someone at nmc[/QUOTE]

Might be a bit late. The owner of sea school is already a member.

[QUOTE=CaptAndrew;47341]Might be a bit late. The owner of sea school is already a member.[/QUOTE]

Thats okay, this wont be anything new …There is so much disinformation out there that you just have to do your own research and find out for yourself…

[B][U]IMHO[/U][/B]…don’t beat up the instructor too bad for giving advice “out of school so to speak”…the whole transition to 500-1600tn mess has most everyone confused including the “Uncle Sam’s Confused Guys”…there is only a handful of people that can navigate that mess…BYTW I am not one of them…as an instructor I always stick to the class syllabus, limit my opinions and refer that type of confusion to the “front office”!!

PS…just reviewed the checklist for Master 500-1600tn on the NMC site…what is up with the towing vessel requirements…thought that was a seperate endorsement??

http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/checklists/master_oc_nc_500_1600.pdf?list1=checklists%2Fmaster_oc_nc_500_1600.pdf&B1=GO%21

Seadog -

What part of the checklist are you referencing? I recently completed 21 months of wallowing my way through that checklist, and didn’t have to deal with towing.

[QUOTE=water;47344][B][U]SEADAWG[/U][/B] - What part of the checklist are you referencing? I recently completed 21 months of wallowing my way through that checklist, and didn’t have to deal with towing.[/QUOTE]

[LEFT][FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT][SIZE=2][B][U]720 days of service MUST have been as a master, mate; master or[/U][/B][/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=2][FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT][B][U]mate (pilot) of towing vessels, or equivalent supervisory position[/U][/B]
[B][U]while holding an endorsement as master, mate, master or mate (pilot)[/U][/B][B][U]of towing vessels, [/U][/B][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=TimesNewRomanPS-BoldMT][SIZE=2][B][U]AND[/U][/B][/LEFT]
[/SIZE][/FONT]

The key word is “or”. Master or mate, or master or mate of towing.

Master or mate of towing is one of the routes to get the experiece.

You can be master or mate (without the towing) as the more common route. You don’t need to be both.

[B][U]IMHO[/U][/B]…“I see said the blind man”!!actualy it is the [B]; [COLOR=black]…[/B][/COLOR]a common overlook…very crafty these "wordsmiths are…my bad!!

[B] ;-)[/B]

The above message is too short, so here are a few more characters…

[QUOTE=rigdvr;47276]At sea school finishing out my requirements for my 1600 ton upgrade…this instructor insists that I must have all OINCW courses and all 1600 ton guys have until 2012 to take them. I told him he is full of it as I was told by NMC that the OINCW for master didnt kick in until 2012…he proceeded to berate me about it.
I know mate 500/1600 have to have OINCW and the loophole for masters is closing quickly. I guess I would like varification of my interpretation of the scenario.
Thanks[/QUOTE]

I just read this post again. Is he trying to say that all 1600 ton Masters must take all of the operational level and management level courses by 2012? The Rulemaking isn’t even published yet so how could he know that? I’m pretty sure that in the recent NPRM everyone above the 500 ton level was going to be grandfathered in. So maybe I’ll lighten my earlier statement about him being retarded, but maybe he should be evaluated? As far as the owner of Sea School reading this, maybe he should be informed about what his instructors are putting out as far as info.