100/200 ton license clarification for new license applicants

I’ve seen threads similar to this so I apologize if this question has been asked and answered already.
I’m an AB Special and will be taking the prep courses and exams for my Masters license this summer. I have been working boat deliveries of vessels up to and including 500+ ton to other countries. Most of my time is in the 100 to 200 ton range. I have time for 200 ton license but without serving as Master or Mate my understanding is I can not move directly to Master license 200 ton.
Question 1. Can I take the courses and exams for 200 ton master and apply for 100 ton master / 200 ton mate?
Question 2. If I can, is there a time limit for upgrading to 200 ton master without re-testing? Assuming I pass and receive my licenses I can start serving the 360 or 180 day time requirement as a licensed master or mate but that will obviously take time.
Question 3. What (if any) is the difference between “ocean” and “international”? I’ve seen both listed in different postings on different sights. I have a lot of time on the Great Lakes so I was planning on getting Great Lakes, Near Coast, and Ocean.

Any advise is greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance!

Ocean is greater than 200nm from land, international is leaving the US. Your license will not say great lakes if you get near coastal because near coastal is a superior route and thus is valid on great lakes and inland routes as well.

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;70691]Ocean is greater than 200nm from land, international is leaving the US.[/QUOTE]

Thank you Capt. Phoenix. Are their additional questions on the International rating shuch as clearing customs in foreign ports and differences in IALA region A and region B?

Question 1. Can I take the courses and exams for 200 ton master and apply for 100 ton master / 200 ton mate?
… that is exactly what you should do, and after on year or 9 months on a 12 hour watch rotation, you get the automatic upgrade… send it in as soon as you can, so you will be a better candidate and more useful to a company.
Question 2. If I can, is there a time limit for upgrading to 200 ton master without re-testing? Assuming I pass and receive my licenses I can start serving the 360 or 180 day time requirement as a licensed master or mate but that will obviously take time.
… there is no time limit I am aware of, I waited almost 5 years, until my next renewal.

There is no rating for internationa, there is a restriction for domestic only though.

There are questions on IALA region a and b and the black and yellow cardinal direction obstruction makers.

[QUOTE=Delphinus;70678]Question 1. Can I take the courses and exams for 200 ton master and apply for 100 ton master / 200 ton mate? [/QUOTE]
Yes. For licenses 200 GRT and under, the exams are based on tonnage and are the same for mate and master. The exam for mate 100 GRT is the same as for master 100 GRT, and mate 200 GRT is the same for master 200 GRT. You only re-test when going from mate or master 100 GRT to mate or master 200 GRT.

[QUOTE=Delphinus;70678]Question 2. If I can, is there a time limit for upgrading to 200 ton master without re-testing? Assuming I pass and receive my licenses I can start serving the 360 or 180 day time requirement as a licensed master or mate but that will obviously take time. [/QUOTE]
As noted above, you go from mate 200 to master 200 without exam. But the course is only valid for one year, so you have to get the mate 200 license within a year, but once you do, no test to go to master 200.

[QUOTE=Delphinus;70678]Question 3. What (if any) is the difference between “ocean” and “international”? I’ve seen both listed in different postings on different sights. I have a lot of time on the Great Lakes so I was planning on getting Great Lakes, Near Coast, and Ocean.[/QUOTE]
Ocean is a route authority on a license, it’s all waters beyond the boundary line (near coastal is all ocean waters up to 200 miles beyond the boundary line). International refers to the voyage the vessel is on, and is a voyage to another country, or one that transits the waters of another country. You have probably seen it used in a discussion of whether an STCW endorsement is required.

Thank you all for the replies and the information.

My plan now is to take a 200 ton prep-course and exam. Apply for my 100 ton Master/ocean (which I need for some small boat deliveries) and also for my 200ton Mate which I will serve as, as often as I can, until I meet the time requirement as a licensed officer then upgrade to 200 ton Master/ocean.

Now, If I can only figure out what course to steer to avoid a hurricane at the max. CPA I’ll be doing OK. :confused:

PS. Any recommendations on schools for the prep-course and exams. I’m also planning on taking the sailing endorsement and towing endorsement portions of the exam.

I want to point out that there is a difference between a “towing” endorsement and the “commercial assistance towing” endorsement. You are planning to get the second one of those, which will allow you to run sea tow boats and the like. It is not a license to run tug boats / tow boats.

(Not that that is a bad thing, or that you didn’t already know that, but I figured that this information should be on this site somewhere.)