Your vessel may be "Prepped" but are you?

Without coming off like a schizoid I with no reservations make this post.

I have done certain things in my life that allow me to think outside the box.
I have seen things that no one should have to see.
For these reasons I can not leave my home without knowing that my family is well cared for now and in the future.

With all the “Ebola” talk going around and now a dumbass getting on a plane with it I think now is as good of a time as any to ask are you prepped?

I don’t mean going to extremes with training your 3 year old to shoot a fully auto uzi or whatever but what would you or your family do if you could not go to Walmart tomorrow and get what you need?

What would you do if you were stuck on the boat while the world is falling apart around you?

I have always been “Prepped” to a certain degree. My wife bitches at me for buying rice and beans that “will never get eaten” and canned / powdered milk that “will never get used”.
Too much flower, sugar, and other basic staples when I go shopping.

I don’t have visquene(?) and duct tape (what a dumbass suggestion…anybody remember that one by our fearless leaders?) but I do have lots of candles, oil lamps and oil, blankets, a generator and fuel to last a couple weeks or more if conserved right, bottled, jugged, and well.
I have dry goods to last a few months and canned goods to last a little less longer.

Even though I don’t drink I have bottles of whiskey for “bartering”.
I have basic trauma kits and OTC drugs for home doctoring.

I have an arsonel that I will not go into detail other than to say I do have at least one 5.56 mm and 1 9 mm weapon so that if I do run low on ammo (doubtful) that I can trade National Guardsmen say a bottle of whiskey?; for ammo or MRE’s.

Sounds pretty paranoid right?

If that jet full of people that got exposed to the Ebola nurse starts popping positive left and right watch how quick I go from being paranoid to being “smart”.

One parting thought…

I have the most expensive P coat I know of.
It is worth 7-10 grand depending on the price of gold on any given day.

I have tiny little gold bars sewn into it hear and there…just in case.

Cash will be worth nothing. Barter and gold would be the only thing worth anything.

Getting home from a far away place under Marshal Law is a tough one but it can be done.

But if your family is ready for SHTF then you really have no need to “rush home”.
You got everything you need on that boat to last for quite some time…or at least that is the way I try to keep mine in case of hurricane or …Ebola.

just one man’s paranoid delusions…

As a junior prepper - I’ve given this some thought.

Ebola and other pandemics are a true nightmare scenario with few options.

Many millions could perish. The only protection is massive quarantine of both the sick and the healthy. If caught early, the disruption will be minimal. If late, your only hope is bunker down with known unexposed people and have absolutely no contact with the outside world. .No going to the stores, work, doctor, or visiting of any kind. There will be no bartering so trade in your gold for something you can use during the crisis. Probably looking at a 3 month isolation before the disease runs it’s course of 2 cycles of exposure, incubation, illness & death.

Hope this is all hypothetical, but the potential of something akin to the Black Death of the middle ages is … well, let’s pray it isn’t.

I suddenly feel the urge to watch Doctor Strangelove (Or How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Love The Bomb). Gotta go now and slip some fluoride tablets into the potable H2O tanks.

I’m going to unplug the galley tv so I don’t have to hear the group of doctors and research scientists that work in here regurgitating any more of this shit

[QUOTE=Heat Miser;146285]I suddenly feel the urge to watch Doctor Strangelove (Or How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Love The Bomb). Gotta go now and slip some fluoride tablets into the potable H2O tanks.[/QUOTE]

“That’s why I only drink branch water or distilled Kentucky bourbon”

Sometimes I keep a couple of dollars in my wallet so I can afford a bottle of pop from the vending machine. I like to think of myself as pretty savvy,

1 Like

Pop, haha, Yankee. :slight_smile:

LOL
Ya, dat is good stuff. We give ourselves away all the time don’tcha know?

Living on the water in the Gulf reason, most of the people I know take at least minimal precautions. Small Generator with fresh gas, Water, Full propane bottles for cooking. Even leftover MREs from Isaac. I’m not shitting my pants about ebola. More worried about the next bad ass hurricane season. I flooded for Katrina. I’m ready for the next one, mainly by not being here when the bad one hits. Worried about having two boats hanging over the water when I’m offshore.
BTW: Pop? We say soda water down where I come from.

We had the “what if” ebola conversation with dinner tonight, unfortunately I doubt there is much your going to do, it comes down to trading gold bars for ammo we are so fucked you should save 1 round for yourself. I was an eagle scout and have done quite a bit of outdoor living, 95% of the U.S population cant go 1 week on their own, as far as food, water and shelter. Imagine what a city of infected ebola patients will look like. There is a limit on “prepping”, if I cant put it on my atv/utv when its time to leave it isnt going. A .22 conversion kit from cmmg is worth throwing in your bag, but nothing beats the spam canned 54R ammo for 90 bucks. I recently converted a Nagant with the archangel kit and its one bad ass toy for 400.00 before the glass. Have you looked into a .50cal upper ??

Damn!! I’m scared to leave my stateroom!!

I’ve never lived through a bad snowstorm so I have no idea how people up north prep. I’ve lived through a bunch of hurricanes in my life. I’ve seen fist fights over MRE’s and ice, guns drawn in the fuel lines over a five gallon jug of gas. I’ve known people who’ve been burgled while away and sheltering with relatives. I’ve known people who’ve been attempted burgled while in their homes during the aftermath. There is only so much the cops can do as they are spread thin. Having two weeks plus of food items in any situation makes common sense if you have a family to take care of. No one wants to live paycheck to paycheck why would you only have enough food for two days in your house? Some people think guns only escalate the problem. You draw down on some asshole siphoning gas out of your car and see how fast he sprints down the block. Being prepped with food, a good first aid kit,etc. doesn’t make you a member of the tinfoil hat crowd to me it just makes sense. Who knows if there will be an Ebola zombie apocalypse but your family should be taken care of regardless.

[QUOTE=BargeMonkey;146337]We had the “what if” ebola conversation with dinner tonight, unfortunately I doubt there is much your going to do, it comes down to trading gold bars for ammo we are so fucked you should save 1 round for yourself. I was an eagle scout and have done quite a bit of outdoor living, 95% of the U.S population cant go 1 week on their own, as far as food, water and shelter. Imagine what a city of infected ebola patients will look like. There is a limit on “prepping”, if I cant put it on my atv/utv when its time to leave it isnt going. A .22 conversion kit from cmmg is worth throwing in your bag, but nothing beats the spam canned 54R ammo for 90 bucks. I recently converted a Nagant with the archangel kit and its one bad ass toy for 400.00 before the glass. Have you looked into a .50cal upper ??[/QUOTE]

I agree a city full of Ebola is nowhere to be.

Unfortunately I do live in a suburb of Chicago (thanks wife) but we both have family out in the “sticks”.
Our “rural” family lives where the houses are at least a “country mile” apart and everyone leaves everyone else alone.(or else)
They still trade with the Amish. We can live off the land in a pinch but fresh dairy, meat, bread and so on is nice.

Keeping your distance from everyone else will keep you alive especially if it goes “airborne”.

I bought my first Mosin for $50 bucks out of a “pick your own” crate years ago.
No shortage of ammo for the Mosin.
Good shooter. No glass on it.

Buddy of mine lost sight in his “good eye” shooting a cheap BMG with no recoil suppression. Detached his retina.
.50’s are nice but ammo is nuts and if you are defending yourself with that then things have probably already moved past the “bugout” stage.

My family knows in the event of a “National Emergency” to keep a “low pro”.
Condition X ray…no visible lights at night.
24 hour armed guard.
Protect what is ours.
Don’t advertise.
We live in the county so neighbors are an acre or two away instead of right on top of us but not a good long term hold out place.

Bug out if overrun.

Have “bug out kit” ready to go.

Fact of the matter is Marshal Law is your friend in mass chaos. Using it to your advantage is smartest move.
Need to get where you are going before travel restrictions are enacted.

Have you checked out “bump stocks”?
Best “deterrent” I have come across in a long time.
Matted with a very well made AK and a 75 rd drum clip will turn some bodies cold.

My boy is not to be F’d with when he is operating his AR with the dual 50 KCI drum on it.
On bump fire it is pretty impressive.
Waste of ammo shooting pop cans.

Dropping looters not so much.
A lot cheaper than Class 3 without all the paperwork and big brother looking over your shoulder.
They only work on quality weapons though. No Yugo’s or cheap AR knock offs.
Colt AR, Russian AK for example.

I stocked up on self defense and hunting ammo long before the O’bama ban scare, long before the stock market scare, long before the y2k scare, long before the “end of the world scare”, and so on.

I thought I was nuts until I started talking to like minded individuals with 50k+ rounds of ammo for each weapon. That is a little more than I can “bug out” with.

Trust no one, especially your government.

I worked with one Captain that lived in a subdivision. We were talking about “what if SHTF” type stuff. He said he would just start kicking in doors and blowing people away to get what he needed.

I told him I would drop him at 500 meters.
He didn’t like that comment.
But I didn’t like his either.

Godlessness
He was an atheist.

We as Christians would have a hard time turning our back on anyone but we would if we had to.

It is not our fault if you have not prepared for SHTF.
If you have not then you let your media and government brainwash you into a false sense of security.
Let them feed you and shelter you if you trust them so much.

That worked out good for Katrina, yes?

As far as trading my gold for ammo or what not probably not going to happen.
I have gold stashed to try to get home with in a national emergency.

We all saw what happened on 9/11. Travel was a bitch. No air travel. Rental cars were snatched up quick. Lots of people were not leaving home at all or going anywhere near a big city.

I would stay on the boat as long as possible but if it got bad and we had no way to resupply due to logistical collapse then I would have to try to make my way home.

Gold in small chunks would get that done…if done right. Might die trying but worth a shot. Family knows what to do if I don’t come home and I know where to find them if SHTF.

Being prepped is not “paranoid”. It is no different than making a shopping list before going to the store.

Just one “prepper’s” opinion.

I would rather be paranoid any day than right.

PM me for more detailed info on how I prep. if interested. Can always learn things from others.

thx

I live in New England so I don’t have to deal with people like you.

I agree people in hurricane prone coastal areas are usually better “prepped”. Because as Fraqrat pointed out he has had to live that more than once probably.
I have been to places and seen “skinny’s” up close and personal.
I have seen children playing in raw sewage and jumping over dead bodies like they weren’t even there.

I have seen what a true anarchist society looks like and it is not pretty.

I will never let that happen to my family.

If I ever “draw down” my weapon it is too late for the other guy. Dead men tell no tales. “Two in the chest and one in the head”…anyone remember that training?

We have no “castle law” in my state and we are too close to the commy’s in Chicago who take sympathy on those that should be publicly hung in the courthouse square.

A POS can kick in your door and enter your house in my state. If you shoot him and he does not have a weapon you go to jail.
However if you drop him, clean up the mess, say nothing to no one, and feed him to the hogs then…no law…no problems.

I would not be caught in a queue of people anywhere in a national emergency.
Gas, food, water, propane, etc. Should have already had enough and when that runs out you should have plan b, c, d, e, f, and so on ready to go.

Every region of the states is different so I don’t pretend to be prepped to live down south. But I can live where I was born and raised with little help from the government or society in general.

Acta non Verba

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Traitor Yankee;146345]I live in New England so I don’t have to deal with people like you.[/QUOTE]

I have driven in NE and I hate dealing with people like you…

Remember, every zombie movie has started out with a guy in a lab coat telling everyone that everything is okay. . . . .

Blah blah blah, you should spend less money on stock piling ammo and more on a freakin vacation.

I don’t buy into the “Zombie” thing but I do watch “end of the world as we know it” flicks to see how realistic the director can get to the real thing.
If you have been in the real thing then you know how hopeless things can become and I mean quick.

I like to watch “Preppers” a little bit but some of them are over the top or part of the “Foil hat crowd?”.

I grew up living off the land and on our family subsistence farm.
It wouldn’t be that hard for me to go back to the “ol way” but a good deal of people in this country have no idea what that means.

I like to watch “living off the land” stuff on sat tv but all I have seen lately is dirty, dreadlocked hippies running around smackin rats with sticks and being happy to get some “protein”.
If that is your idea of “freedom” then more power to ya but I’ll stick with beef, moose, venison, bear, and so on.

Truth is we all need “society” to some extent. Whether that be just to trade goods with or to go to church with depends on how much of a recluse you are.

I just took my kids to “The Feast of The Hunter’s Moon” in West Lafayette, IN.
You can google it and maybe get a feel of what it is like.

It is a “reenactment”…sorta…of what things were like in that region a couple hundred years ago.
It was good for my kids to see how they lived back then and how some people still live today.
The kids loved it and were fascinated.
They want to return next year and even wear some “period” clothes to blend in a little more.

Some of the people we talked to live in this way all the time. It is still possible today believe it or not.

my two cents…

back to the real world

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Traitor Yankee;146350]Blah blah blah, you should spend less money on stock piling ammo and more on a freakin vacation.[/QUOTE]

Thanks to a few near death experiences in my short life span…everyday is a vacation for me, brother.

[QUOTE=Traitor Yankee;146345]I live in New England so I don’t have to deal with people like you.[/QUOTE]
I seen to remember hurricane Irene pretty well, we where without power for 12 days, you could dial 911 all you want but no one was coming to save you. Had 5’ of snow in 7 days a few years ago, had to snowshoe food and medicine into a few people stuck on the mountain, watched homes burn because there was no way we could get to them. The national guard was sent to Prattsville NY, the looting started and things got out of hand quick. A snobby insurance adjuster was about beaten to death in broad daylight on main street, people just stood and watched. I dont preach the “prepper” talk, but more and more we are seeing situations where you have to fend for yourself, my own county has a huge push for everyone to “be prepared”.
Ive seen the bump fire, eh I dont know. The ability to spray doesnt do it for me. Around here a 300yd clear shot is a long ways, so even with a .22mag someones day isnt going to end too well. I was in Gander Mt when I was home, ammo is slowly coming back but its still at a premium. I passed up a M82A1 barrett about 5yrs ago, 6k with 2 extra mags and a 100 rds, kicking myself real hard about that one still. More just a cool fucking toy than anything else.

I’m prepared at home for a big snow storm, a week maybe two with out power would not be a problem. I lived well out in the woods as a kid and remember vividly having a week off of school once due to a couple feet of snow overnight. I’m just not planning for the “end times” and I certainly don’t seem to relish the idea of it. That’s the crazy I’m talking about not living around.