Ebola and the US Merchant Marine

Word is, two RRF ships were activated for deployment to west Africa.
Cape Wrath coming out of Baltimore and Cape Rise out of Hampton Roads.

You guys have a nice trip.

Thanks but no thanks.

Be sure to get a flu shot before you go!

There’s no doubt Ebola is a hazard. It’s an unfamiliar hazard for most of us but there are people who have developed expertise in dealing with the disease. Like any other hazard protocols and procedures can be developed, Expertise can be evaluated by non-experts.

If I was offered a position on a ship in West Africa I certainly would want to educate myself about the situation before accepting but it’s not unheard of to have to evaluate unfamiliar hazards.

I’d be fine with it. Maybe I can get sick enough to go on permenant disability.

In reality though It doesn’t seem like the two vessels are going to be working directly with the effected populations anyway. I’d be fine with it.

I’m from the government and I’m here to help.

The scariest 9 words in ANY language.

[QUOTE=dncartersweatte1993;146887]Be sure to get a flu shot before you go![/QUOTE]

Probably not a bad idea. It might be unpleasant if someone was involved in an operation that could be in some way connected to Ebola AND have a fever due to the flu.

The desire by the states to quarantine any and all people even peripherally involved in Ebola relief would make a flu shot a no-brainer. Imagine getting off a plane only to be detained by Customs because of flu symptoms.

[QUOTE=RichM;146870]You guys have a nice trip.[/QUOTE]
Not me brother. I gave up that deep sea life some time ago.

[QUOTE=catherder;146953]The desire by the states to quarantine any and all people even peripherally involved in Ebola relief would make a flu shot a no-brainer. Imagine getting off a plane only to be detained by Customs because of flu symptoms.[/QUOTE]

Yeah wouldn’t that be nice, but then there are huge idiots like that nurse from Maine who just got back from Africa threating to sue over her treatment during quarantine! Screw you lady! If you’re going to risk getting thousands, and potentially millions, of people sick with a serious disease because you don’t like the way those naughty healthcare workers talked to you then you can go straight to hell!

After hearing the plans to Quarantine any Military personnel for 21 days made me wonder how they are going to deal with the Crews on the Ships. Not sure if you have to be quarantined separately or not but I can see some pissed off guys if they have to do it before coming home. I wonder if the Union would consider it Penalty time.

[QUOTE=Tugs;147035]After hearing the plans to Quarantine any Military personnel for 21 days made me wonder how they are going to deal with the Crews on the Ships. Not sure if you have to be quarantined separately or not but I can see some pissed off guys if they have to do it before coming home. I wonder if the Union would consider it Penalty time.[/QUOTE]

The CG and Customs have already dealt with ships coming in from the area around West Africa and they not only look at itinerary and cargo, but crew change when and where. Of course now that Ebola fear is in full swing we may see unnecessary and ridiculous measures implemented to appease an uninformed and frightened public.

[QUOTE=Tugs;147035]After hearing the plans to Quarantine any Military personnel for 21 days made me wonder how they are going to deal with the Crews on the Ships. Not sure if you have to be quarantined separately or not but I can see some pissed off guys if they have to do it before coming home. I wonder if the Union would consider it Penalty time.[/QUOTE]

Penalty time is not payable if the crew is restriced to the ship by shoreside authorities.

[QUOTE=Kennebec Captain;147065]Penalty time is not payable if the crew is restriced to the ship by shoreside authorities.[/QUOTE]

Would one suppose if a mariner is discharged and quarantined enroute home only as a result of onboard service, that quarantine time would not be payable either (service completed upon discharge) ?? So tough luck even though the free time is reduced by 21 days ??

What would the handling of medical costs be if the mariner contracted the disease while aboard, but it only evidences itself after discharge?

Interesting questions.

[QUOTE=+A465B;147067]Would one suppose if a mariner is discharged and quarantined enroute home only as a result of onboard service, that quarantine time would not be payable either (service completed upon discharge) ?? So tough luck even though the free time is reduced by 21 days ??

What would the handling of medical costs be if the mariner contracted the disease while aboard, but it only evidences itself after discharge?

Interesting questions.[/QUOTE]

• Once the crew member clears the accommodation ladder with his pay, cab fare and discharge in hand I figure I’m done with him.

• It’s not common for former crew members to claim injuries after leaving but it’s not unheard of. In this case I would think maintenance and cure would apply.

[QUOTE=Kennebec Captain;147068]- Once the crew member clears the accommodation ladder with his pay, cab fare and discharge in hand I figure I’m done with him.

.[/QUOTE]

Well, from the on board standpoint it sounds correct. But if the quarantine policy is already established and in place, and a mariner is then engaged to complete a voyage that will involve a subsequent quarantine, where does the employers obligation end? With the discharge? With the end of quarantine? Interesting and probably not tested in recent times.

[QUOTE=+A465B;147069]Well, from the on board standpoint it sounds correct. But if the quarantine policy is already established and in place, and a mariner is then engaged to complete a voyage that will involve a subsequent quarantine, where does the employers obligation end? With the discharge? With the end of quarantine? Interesting and probably not tested in recent times.[/QUOTE]

When we pay off foreign the company is responsible for the crew members until they arrive in States side but they are only entitled to one day travel time regardless of how long it actually takes. Payoff in the States they are on their own once they are off.

Years ago at SeaLand I was in the C/M office and he had a big poster on the wall with codes for reporting the reason the ship was delayed. It had everything from weather, labor unrest, earthquakes, political upheaval and so on. IIRC The Four Horseman of the Apocalypse was code 666.

[QUOTE=Kennebec Captain;147070]When we pay off foreign the company is responsible for the crew members until they arrive in States side but they are only entitled to one day travel time regardless of how long it actually takes. Payoff in the States they are on their own once they are off.

Years ago at SeaLand I was in the C/M office and he had a big poster on the wall with codes for reporting the reason the ship was delayed. It had everything from weather, labor unrest, earthquakes, political upheaval and so on. IIRC The Four Horseman of the Apocalypse was code 666.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps in normal circumstances and per that particular contract (and yes US flag).

Where I work it is a silent issue, but imagine won’t be for much longer - at least from the view of establishing a policy to deal with it.

But from the Company standpoint, is it actually correct that there is no outstanding obligation ? I suspect that the obligation might be longer in the circumstance described, and particularly under the US flag. The real lawyers would have a viewpoint. But would I rather pay them to defend the claims with lost time aggravation for office staff, or just indicate that we would pay the wages of anyone quarantined, for up to 21 days and lay it off to the P & I club or as a cost of doing business ?

Hmmmmmmm