Would you apply for a fishing boat job?

Here’s a question for you:
There are currently 37 vessels working in the Western Equatorial Pacific. About 30 of them have only one American on board (which in my opinion is unsafe), and the companies are allowed to employ foreign officers because they claim that they can’t find any Americans to work these jobs. Sound familiar? The same thing is happening in the GOM I’ve heard.

The manning waiver that uninspected fishing vessels currently enjoy is due to expire soon. The USCG is considering whether or not to renew it. This waiver allows companies to employ foreign officers aboard US Flagged vessels. The USCG will probably renew the waiver, because they haven’t heard anyone’s side of the story except for the owners.

Would you apply if the owners were compelled to advertise for these jobs? These would be: Master, Mate, and Chief Engineer billets.

Please let me know your opinion. I’ll forward the results to the powers that be.

Thanks!

Yes in fact I have applied for several catcher-processor jobs up here in Alaska at this point I would be happy for any job.

I worked on the U.S. Flagged Purse seiner as a shipmaster on Eastern pacific.
They paid me after the fishes were sold. It took almost three months.
Is this practice still going on?
If so, how can you survive without pay for such a long time ?

[QUOTE=capitanahn;37779]I worked on the U.S. Flagged Purse seiner as a shipmaster on Eastern pacific.
They paid me after the fishes were sold. It took almost three months.
Is this practice still going on?
If so, how can you survive without pay for such a long time ?[/QUOTE]

I got paid every two weeks on salary when I worked on a seiner. I don’t think I’d sign up for your type of pay arrangement.

I’ve been looking for work for about a year and can’t find a thing. I’ve got a 1600 ton Master w/towing GMDSS etc. I get no responce from anyone!

[QUOTE=dougpine;37801]I got paid every two weeks on salary when I worked on a seiner. I don’t think I’d sign up for your type of pay arrangement.[/QUOTE]

Wow, I didn’t know we could make that kinda deal. I was with Ganns. Who did you sail for?

[QUOTE=capitanahn;37891]Wow, I didn’t know we could make that kinda deal. I was with Ganns. Who did you sail for?[/QUOTE]

I worked on the “Majestic Blue”, which recently sank.

YES! I would and did apply for that kind of job. I was on the Pacific Breeze, sister ship to the Majestic Blue. Of course I would feel much better to have another American aboard, preferably Chief Engineer. I would still do it again without them. I took that particular job for the experience of doing that, not because I was really in need of a job. I would not go again unless they change some things. At this point in my career I most definately would not go out to work for only percent of the catch!! Must have a guaranteed regular paycheck!!!

Jp, you are right. I would go to fishing boat if I get paid regular paycheck.

In the past Commercial Fishing was not a job but a way of life. I enjoyed that way of life for over 30 years and I was the third generation of my family to do so. Traditionally you got payed a share of the catch thus of you caught nothing you made nothing and when you caught a lot and the prices were good you made good money. For the past year and a half I have been working in gulf in the oil industry. This too is a way of life. Its a lot like fishing in the way you are always on the boat, but you only have to work half the day (12 hours) and every two weeks you get paid with out catching fish. I miss the catching part but that’s about all I miss.

That’s good news to the U.S. merchant marines. Every job is a good job. As long as you can make a contract to get paid regular pay check,
which I just learned from this forum…But we never know until USCG say so…

[QUOTE=JP;38160] I would not go again unless they change some things. At this point in my career I most definately would not go out to work for only percent of the catch!! Must have a guaranteed regular paycheck!!![/QUOTE]

Good point JP. I agree with you. Must have a regular paycheck…Sure

Guys- Supreme Alaska is hiring mates, engineers, and other positions… Premiere Pacific needs processors for the MV “Excellence”… both are in Seattle…

South Pacific Tuna is looking for a Chief Engineer and a “Navigator”.

[QUOTE=dougpine;38944]South Pacific Tuna is looking for a Chief Engineer and a “Navigator”.[/QUOTE]

C/E 70K/YEAR, NAVIGATOR 50K/YEAR WITH ONE FISHING TRIP OFF PER YEAR… Pretty tough…But sound more like regular paychecks…

[QUOTE=dougpine;38944]South Pacific Tuna is looking for a Chief Engineer and a “Navigator”.[/QUOTE]

C/E 70K/YEAR, NAVIGATOR 50K/YEAR WITH ONE FISHING TRIP OFF PER YEAR… Pretty tough…But sound more like regular paychecks…

interested, pls call 619.233.2060 for Mr. Robert Virissimo…

interested, pls call 619.233.2060 for Mr. Robert Virissimo…

Dougpine please empty your inbox for private messages i need to run somthing by you that i dont want to put on the forum

I sailed on a fish processor.

Worked over a year with 5 weeks off (2 weeks once, and 3 weeks once). Made a ton of money.

Daily rate plus shares at sea, hourly rate with overtime after 8 hours at the dock. Bonuses.
Unemployment on my time off (due to shipyard).
Paid every two weeks, with shares and bonuses at the end of each season.
401k and good insurance.

US officers but foreign managed in reality.

Mostly foreign crew, real high turn over. In the year before I showed up, they went through 9 C/E’s and 2 or 3 Port Engineers.
I once asked what would happen if I stayed in my rack 24/7. Was told as long as my license was on the bulkhead…nothing, but it would affect my bonus.

Ammonia reefer system was old and cantankerous. Got gassed almost daily.

Fires, flooding, fighting, injuries, equipment failures, OSHA and FDA inspections and lots of paperwork.

But, it was rewarding knowing we were providing a high quality food product for a hungry world.
The PNW fisheries management system seemed sustainable, 100% observed. Almost no waste at all.
It was a great leadership proving ground. The officers were treated as gods (small “g”).
Sights and experiences I was interested in. Great chow.
Learned an awful lot.

But, been there, done that, got the T-shirt.
Now I’m old and working ATB’s is almost like being retired and on a cruise ship.

the facts are that foreign help is cheaper and really with this day and age you have to hire outside the box so that you can be polit correct so that you can also get a few kickbacks from the goverment and if something happens while your out it is easy to cover it up hell im a electrician and own my own bussiness and theres really no work in land and i myself love the sea and i cant find a job to support my family of four because of all the foreign influences that take jobs away from true americans i would love to put myself up against any foreigner and i bet i could do a good enough job or better than him if someone only gave me the chance.